'72 Tele Deluxe Mod - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 30th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

'72 Tele Deluxe Mod

I am looking for opinions and input on a possible project/purchase.

I have long been infatuated with owning a '72 Telecaster Deluxe. Aesthetically it just does it for me, from the Strat-style headstock to the pickguard, four knobs and location of the pickup selector.

That being said, I've come to learn that I definitely prefer the sound of single coil pickups, like I had in my old Highway One Tele which I foolishly let go a few years back.

In my research I've found these adapters that will allow a single coil PUP to fit in a humbucker cavity as found in Gibsons. Problem with these is they clearly won't work with the humbucker set up you'll find in the '72 Deluxe.

I'm looking for ideas or options without going to far overboard.

One thing that does come to mind is this. Using a regular humbucker sized mounting ring (perhaps from a les paul) as a guide I could drill new holes in the pickguard so that the above mentioned single coil adapter mount could be screwed into place. I have no idea what lies underneath the pickguard or if these new screws would have any wood directly underneath to screw in to.

Any thoughts?

frick584 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Formerly known as Eryque
Doctor of Teleocity

There's not any wood underneath the edges of the pickguard to screw down the mounting rings.

A much better bet is to get a custom pickguard that's cut for the standard pickups and fits the 72 Deluxe shape. I won't cost you too much, it will definitely work without any fuss, and will look far cleaner.

Parts & Pickups

www.kokoteleguitarworks.com
KokoTele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

The new style WRHBs have access to the coils via the connections on the underside of the pickup. As an option before doing anything else you could try re-wiring the pick-up as a single coil (or switchable between humbucker and single coil). I'm sure I saw details of this mod somewhere - possibly on the 72' Custom Club (in the Guitar Owners Club section). I think people have played around with this mod (although obviously it would be the neck pick-up only in the case of a '72 custom).

What this may not give you is the output you'd get from a stock Tele single coil (or after market replacement). Coil spliting both pickup potentially gives you quite a range of possible tones. Push pull volume or tone pots may be the route to go if you do coil split.....
CustFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 30th, 2012, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Fender black dove.

winny pooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

winny pooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Thanks for all the input!

I should have also mentioned that this project would most definitely be done to the Squire version of the guitar and that p-90's or humbuckersized p-90s aren't really what I'm after but I appreciate the ideas.

I think the pick guard option my be the best way for me to go. Found a place in the States that can do it relatively cheap, at least affordable to a guy like myself..

Thanks again!
frick584 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I got a custom pickguard from these guys with the switchhole removed for my 72 Deluxe mod and they were great. Really helpful and a good price. Pretty sure they'll do whatever you need, including putting single coil holes in a 72 pickguard

http://www.wdmusic.com/pickguards.html
losergeek is offline   Reply With Quote