How to install Electrosocket (photos) - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 23rd, 2012, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

How to install Electrosocket (photos)

How to install Electrosocket
Telecaster Electrosocket jack cup installation instructions.

Applies to Telecasters routed for standard jack sockets on the side of the lower body bout and not guitars with front surface jack sockets (eg. Stratocaster jack style or jack on Telecaster control plate [I'm talkin' to you, Avril]).

Picture 1: Telecaster, parts and tools (what's with the crescent wrench?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electro1 (Medium).jpg
Views:	175
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	145043  

Last edited by ringodingo; September 23rd, 2012 at 07:45 PM.
ringodingo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2012, 07:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Remove nut and jack cup

Remove nut and jack cup
-Use a socket wrench to remove the nut if one will fit in the stock Telecaster jack cup.
(Using the needle-nose pliers in the picture took several attempts to get the nut to rotate. The old cup is now scratched up and I pinched my finger! Later, the new electrosocket cup, which is threaded to accept the jack, will act as the nut.)
-Remove the stock jack cup.

Jack clip (jack retainer clip or backing plate)
The clip can be left in place if it is not in the way. Later, just insert the jack through the clip before attaching the socket.

Clip Removal Option: Use a screw driver or other suitable tool to press and bend one side of the clip until it’s loose enough to be removed with needle-nose pliers. Use care to avoid gouging the wood in the socket hole (method not demonstrated).

Picture 2: nut removal (the less effective way)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Electro2 (Medium).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	145044  

Last edited by ringodingo; September 24th, 2012 at 03:27 PM.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Remove control plate

Remove control plate
-Use a #1Phillips screw driver to remove the 2 control plate screws and lay the whole control assembly on a cloth on the guitar body. You will need to be able to access inside the jack socket hole with a finger to hold the jack in place.

Picture 3: accessing jack from inside
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Electro3 (Medium).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	145046  

Last edited by ringodingo; September 23rd, 2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: detail

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old September 23rd, 2012, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Attach electosocket to jack

Attach electosocket to jack
-Position the electrosocket at the guitar’s socket hole so that the concave side is facing away from the hole.
-Spread the jaws of the needle-nose pliers and insert the 2 tips into the screw holes of the electrosocket.
-With your other hand, keep the jack in place by pushing it from behind with a finger inside the control assembly cavity. (see picture) If the stock jack clip is being left in insert the jack through the back of the clip to mate with the electrosocket.
-Turn the pliers to screw the electrosocket onto the jack and into the routed socket hole until it fits tightly.

Picture 4: attaching electrosocket to jack

Option: add a Loctite-like compound to the jack threads to discourage future movement.

This ALL PARTS unit AP 5270-010 fits the Fender jack threads. There is no Imperial vs. Metric incompatibility.
A few options on this ALL PARTS page - http://www.allparts.com/Telecaster-Hardware-s/441.htm

Option: Flush or Protruding jack.
-For use of guitar cables with regular plugs, thread the jack so that it is flush with the bottom of the bowl shape of the electrosocket. The electrosocket acts as a funnel for your cable plug. There will be no fumbling around when you insert the plug into the jack.

-For use of guitar cables with right angle plugs (like Planet Waves) the jack may need to protrude through the Electrosocket. Test the fit of the plug before fitting the screws.

Picture 5: checking fit of right angle plug
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Electro4 (Medium).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	145047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electro5 (Medium).jpg
Views:	107
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	145048  

Old September 23rd, 2012, 07:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Attach electrosocket to body

Attach electrosocket to body
-Use the Phillips screwdriver to screw in the 2 self tapping wood screws (no drilling needed). Many say it’s better to align the screws with the length of the bout rather than the width.
-Reinstall the control plate, forget about the electrosocket and play some music.

Picture 6: screwing the screws in place
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Electro6 (Medium).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	145049  

Old September 23rd, 2012, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Notes and Thank you

Note: I finally got my back ordered electrosocket in at Long & McQuade. This demo is a public service thank you to the TDPRI Forum for what a great resource it can be. I researched threads that already talked about the electrosocket install and consolidated many suggestions and tips to shape this guide.
By the way, for the stock Tele jack, if you rotate the jack until it protrudes out above the nut in the jack cup enough you can use a right angle plug just fine without the electrosocket! O well. Some say this is more secure.

PLEASE PM me quick if there are any gross errors I still have time to correct or to clarify something

Cheers,
RD

Last edited by ringodingo; September 23rd, 2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: detail

Old October 15th, 2012, 06:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

this is so helpful.
thank you for putting it all together!

but i wonder if you can help?
i have installed an electrosocket and i seem to be having some grounding issues where i didn't previously
yesterday at rehearsal i was getting a couple zings from the mic!

Old October 15th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

The electrosocket won't cause any type of grounding issues. I would imagine that you either jarred something loose while changing the jack up out, or your jack prong is bent and not holding the cable plug in tight.

Old January 13th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringodingo View Post
Note: I finally got my back ordered electrosocket in at Long & McQuade. This demo is a public service thank you to the TDPRI Forum for what a great resource it can be. I researched threads that already talked about the electrosocket install and consolidated many suggestions and tips to shape this guide.
By the way, for the stock Tele jack, if you rotate the jack until it protrudes out above the nut in the jack cup enough you can use a right angle plug just fine without the electrosocket! O well. Some say this is more secure.

PLEASE PM me quick if there are any gross errors I still have time to correct or to clarify something

Cheers,
RD
Hi, How would I go about keeping the threads flush with the bottom of the bowl and still have it be tight? Don't you have to screw the socket the whole way to he tight? Thanks dude
gunther4400 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

It should have a nut on it that you can tighten against the back side of the cup to lock it in place. If it doesn't have a nut, you must buy one if you want to lock it.
Glen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Thanks.

I have my electrosocket neatly in my tele box. The body's done with prep and color and is getting many coats of clear nitro, then assembly. Now I know how.
Jack FFR1846 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The Electrosockets are great. Also check out some of Marc Rutters offerings. Nice stuff, a little more coin, but very nice!
SPUDCASTER is offline   Reply With Quote