neck matter when tuning and more... - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 16th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

neck matter when tuning and more...

Hello,
I own a Fender JV tele since four years, I love her, especially the way she sounds. I say that because the sound itself is sweet, but I've always had technical problems with this guitar and I can't find the end...
the most annoying thing is tuning: whenever I tune the guitar after some hours since the last play, I have to adjust the keys for about 5-10 minutes if I want do it well, cause the neck tortion doesn't stop. if I'm in tune with the low E I loose the B... I'm ok with the G but I'm off-pitch with A and so on...
This is killing me, what can I do? I'm afrait there is no solution because I think it's a neck/truss-rod matter. What do you think?
Another trouble is to get the right intonation when setting-up, the problem are the vintage saddles, as you'll know... I bought a set of Callaham enhanced saddles, but I didn't notice any difference! I'm getting frustrated :-(
Ric

zambly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Your guitar probably has a couple issues, 1. Needs A pro quality setup, and 2. Probably needs a properly,cut nut.
You can intonate vintage saddles so close, I wouldnt reAlly consider them the fault. If you have comp. Saddles, its probably just a loose hardware or setup issue.

Old January 16th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks,
I think the saddles are so important, cause even when I give the guitar to the lutist to have it perfectly setted up the intonation isn't good after the 10th fret (this usually happens to me with vintage saddles).
I've never considered to adjust the cut nut: do you think?
Ric

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 16th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambly View Post
Thanks,
I think the saddles are so important, cause even when I give the guitar to the lutist to have it perfectly setted up the intonation isn't good after the 10th fret (this usually happens to me with vintage saddles).
I've never considered to adjust the cut nut: do you think?
Ric
ill be honest, if your guitar was setup correctly, id doubt youd have any of these issues.

The frets most likely need leveled and recrowned, your truss rod needs set correctly, new properly cut nut, and intonation set.

If something is broken or malaligned on your guutar, the luthier or technician should have made you aware. A lot of guitat techs use those three saddle bridges as an excuse for a poor setup.

Old January 16th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Are you using a tuner, or tuning by ear?
nadzab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt W. Knight View Post
ill be honest, if your guitar was setup correctly, id doubt youd have any of these issues.

The frets most likely need leveled and recrowned, your truss rod needs set correctly, new properly cut nut, and intonation set.

If something is broken or malaligned on your guutar, the luthier or technician should have made you aware. A lot of guitat techs use those three saddle bridges as an excuse for a poor setup.
it coulde be... I changed three times the luthier and never found really satisfied. this situations is getting confused!

Old January 16th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadzab View Post
Are you using a tuner, or tuning by ear?
I'm using a tuner!

Old January 16th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
I'm using a tuner!
And unless its a quality strobe tuner like a peterson, it can be off mpre than youd imagine.

Quality luthiers and guitar techs are hard to find in the usa to. Most are just glorifies string changers.

Old January 16th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt W. Knight View Post
And unless its a quality strobe tuner like a peterson, it can be off mpre than youd imagine.

Quality luthiers and guitar techs are hard to find in the usa to. Most are just glorifies string changers.
yes it is, one of those putted a set of his "custom strings" on my G&L during the set up... two of these strings were rotten, and there was no "neck damage" as he told me, but just some ignorance in the air inside his workroom.
and he was one of the "glorified ones"...
by the way, I don't know how to understand what's teh real matter with my tele intonation

Old January 16th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
yes it is, one of those putted a set of his "custom strings" on my G&L during the set up... two of these strings were rotten, and there was no "neck damage" as he told me, but just some ignorance in the air inside his workroom.
and he was one of the "glorified ones"...
by the way, I don't know how to understand what's teh real matter with my tele intonation
If the frets are unlevel or now crowned properly it will throw off your intonation.
If the nut is cut wrong, it will throw off your tuning stability and intonation.
If the neck relief/truss rod isn't set correctly it will throw off intonation.
Without a real strobe tuner, its hard to get it just right.

Old January 16th, 2011, 11:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I would strongly suggest you set the guitar up exactly according to Fender's owner's manual. I have done exactly one guitar like this and it worked right the first time.

I made sure the neck was perfectly straight and the frets level with the guitar unstrung before I started the setup. After every step of the setup, I tuned the strings to pitch. Gradually it started sounding better, and once I finished the last step, the guitar sounded pretty good. I bet you can do the same thing.
tfsails is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfsails View Post
I would strongly suggest you set the guitar up exactly according to Fender's owner's manual. I have done exactly one guitar like this and it worked right the first time.

I made sure the neck was perfectly straight and the frets level with the guitar unstrung before I started the setup. After every step of the setup, I tuned the strings to pitch. Gradually it started sounding better, and once I finished the last step, the guitar sounded pretty good. I bet you can do the same thing.
I've done this way: now it runs!
thanks a lot, it was essential to tune every string after every step of the set-up!!

Old January 18th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
I've done this way: now it runs!
thanks a lot, it was essential to tune every string after every step of the set-up!!
I think you've learned a lot about basic setup now, and probably the names of three guitar techs not worth talking to anylonger.

Glad you got it up and running.