why are single coil bridge pickups angled? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 4th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

why are single coil bridge pickups angled?

OK, so why are the bridge pickups on Teles and strats angled? And why is a bridge humbucker (usually) not angled?

hessodreamy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Formerly known as Eryque
Doctor of Teleocity

There's a paragraph about this in one of the Tele history books. It was either Leo or one of his right hand men who were quoted as saying it needed to be angled to get the brilliance and clarity that a lap/pedal steel had, and that they didn't like it straight across.

A guy I know locally built an Esquire-ish guitar with a left handed bridge and pickup slant. I'd been thinking about building one for a while and he convinced me to do it. Now I just have to get offa my butt and get it done!

Parts & Pickups

www.kokoteleguitarworks.com
KokoTele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The further toward the neck the polepieces are, the bassier the sound of that string. So the angled tele bridge pickup gives a darker low E and a brighter high E than a straight pickup would.

As to why humbuckers aren't angled, who knows? The shape of the standard humbucker doesn't allow angling it. Though Rio Grande Makes a humbucker that resembles two angled tele bridge pickups, it's called the "Twangbucker."
Wayne Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 5th, 2010, 04:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

But then again, there's guitars with pick-up angled just the other way around so it's just a matter of preference.

If you remove the noisy stuff inside the piano it makes a great house for a dog.
varakeef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2010, 04:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Does the fact that a slanted pickup can be longer, and therefore have a larger coil, have anything to do with it?
jeggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2010, 05:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
TG
Doctor of Teleocity

Early amplifiers weren't very good with treble. They angled the pickup to get as much as they could...especially as pedal steel type lead sounds were fashionable.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2010, 05:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by varakeef View Post
But then again, there's guitars with pick-up angled just the other way around so it's just a matter of preference.
Like Jimi

jo

www.tribalimusic.com
sapi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Why, you ask?

MN Punk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

the reason for the angle is because having pole pieces at different parts of the neck pick up different harmonic nodes on the string and give a different tone, and like mentioned above this can be used to give more bass or treble to certain strings, this is really if you decide that you would like to have particularly "trebley" highs or extra bass in your lower strings, or vice versa.
TopNut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 03:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG View Post
Early amplifiers weren't very good with treble. They angled the pickup to get as much as they could...especially as pedal steel type lead sounds were fashionable.
Of course they could have move the whole thing nearer to the bridge I suppose. And steel guitars have their pups at the straight angle.

Maybe they just thought it looked cool.

If you remove the noisy stuff inside the piano it makes a great house for a dog.

Old October 6th, 2010, 04:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'm getting that it's to make the top strings more trebly, but that it's largely down to taste. Which is good, as I'm considering my custom build where I may not be able to angle the pickup and, if I did, wouldn't be sure of the angle. But I'm getting the angle doesn't matter that much.
Anyway, I kinda find the top strings a bit too sharp so it might be nice to mellow them out.
hessodreamy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 07:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Yes, there are bright and twangy guitars out there with a bridge pup dead straight. Gretsches with dynasonics, for example.

Old August 14th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I know this is a 3 year old thread but I found it doing a search. My two cents, since I just got my first two Teles ever. One is a Squier Affinity with an SD in the bridge and Noiseless on the neck and the other is a 3 pickup version by SX. Whether a Strat or Tele, I don't like a slanted pickup unless the slant is in the opposite direction.

Maybe it was good back then but I don't like it now. Why would you want to thin out the sound of the strings that are already thinner? That's why the bass I had has a split pickup with the split going closer to the neck on the thinner strings. I find the same principle with a guitar. At the very least, keep them straight like on Brian May guitars or Gibson single-coil pickups. It may be just my opinion but it's a bad design, then or now. Bad, bad design. Again, that's MY opinion only and not meant to insult anyone. It's just MY taste and others are free to like the current slant.

I intend to keep the SX and the search I was doing was trying to find a Tely bridge that will let me fit the bridge pickup straight.
mannydingo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck finding that bridge and we'll let Leo know he screwed up. The actual reason was because someone cut the router template wrong in Leo never liked to waste anything so he just made 'em all that way.
CS Nocaster; "Nashcaster"; MP Thinline; MIM/Nashville; Squier CVC; Lenti Esquire; Peavey Generation Custom EX, Taylor 214ce-dlx; Breedlove C250cme; Roland Cube 40xl; Roland Blues Cube; Bugera v5; Ampeg GVT-112e, CV JBass; CV PBass; tc BG250 1x15 Bass Amp.
soulman969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulman969 View Post
Good luck finding that bridge and we'll let Leo know he screwed up
Since it's intentional to leave it that way it's not a screw up. For my taste, it's a bad design. To others, you too I imagine, it must be God's gift to the guitar world. Don't worry, I respect that.

Quote:
The actual reason was because someone cut the router template wrong in Leo never liked to waste anything so he just made 'em all that way.
I guess that wink means that's the story that goes around but it's not true? Again, I'm new to Tele's.

Old August 14th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck finding that bridge and we'll let Leo know he screwed up. The actual reason was because someone cut the router template wrong in Leo never liked to waste anything so he just made 'em all that way.
CS Nocaster; "Nashcaster"; MP Thinline; MIM/Nashville; Squier CVC; Lenti Esquire; Peavey Generation Custom EX, Taylor 214ce-dlx; Breedlove C250cme; Roland Cube 40xl; Roland Blues Cube; Bugera v5; Ampeg GVT-112e, CV JBass; CV PBass; tc BG250 1x15 Bass Amp.

Old August 14th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Good luck finding that bridge
Funny is that using Google again I now came across yet another thread on this site that is even older. The guy did a complete opposite slant. Click here to see it on post #9:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaste...tradition.html

Old August 15th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannydingo View Post
Since it's intentional to leave it that way it's not a screw up. For my taste, it's a bad design. To others, you too I imagine, it must be God's gift to the guitar world. Don't worry, I respect that.

I guess that wink means that's the story that goes around but it's not true? Again, I'm new to Tele's.
Yep manny all of it was just my off beat attempt at humor. Should have been more polite and welcomed you first THEN then comes the attempt at humor. LOL

There are many stories in Fender lore about why certain things were done the way they were and seldom do they ever have just one simple explanation or point of view. Nacho's Blackguard Book tells a lot about those early years though.

The design is a little crazy for this era but I'm sure in 1950 it made some sense to Leo and his country pickin' advisors. Besides it's just another part of what makes that bridge pickup sound like it does and makes Tele kind of unique.

Anyway Welcome!

Old August 15th, 2013, 12:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannydingo View Post
Funny is that using Google again I now came across yet another thread on this site that is even older. The guy did a complete opposite slant. Click here to see it on post #9:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaste...tradition.html
Yep, used a left handed bridge and neck and a right handed body and strung it right handed. That I've seen but not a Tele bridge plate that's cut straight. But all you'd need to do is use a separate hard tail bridge and just route the body differently like you would for a humbucker and you could mount it parallel to the neck pickup.

Old August 15th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #20 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I was at Desperadoville last weekend, and Tony had a couple of custom builds he had put together with left handed bridges - opposite slant from the usual. A little more twang from the low strings and not quite as bright on the high strings.

BTW, Glendale makes a Tele bridge with a straight pickup.

http://www.glendaleguitars.com/glendale21.htm
You'll never make a wife to a home lovin' man.
Ricky D. is offline   Reply With Quote