My new warmoth pro neck review - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 30th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My new warmoth pro neck review

Since I disliked the mighty might neck that came with my current Tele I decided to order a Warmoth neck.

I got the Pro series neck with two truss rods. The wizard profile and 6105 tall narrow frets.

The neck plays really wells. Super fast and the 6105 frets are a pleasure. It looks great to, birds eye maple.

However! my tone now sucks. I lost all my woody tone. It sounds overly bright and tight sounding. More ping than twang. I'm guessing I have to much metal and not enough wood.

And to top it off it made my guitar neck heavy. I have a very light weight ash body.

Right now I'm having my guitar tech reshape the mighty might and install 6105 frets.

/sigh Another experimental part to sell on Ebay.

Deep South is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Formerly known as Eryque
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep South View Post
I got the Pro series neck with two truss rods. The wizard profile and 6105 tall narrow frets.
I think you may have misunderstood the truss rod design. It's not 2 truss rods, it's what's called a "double expanding" truss rod. This means that it can bow both forward and backward.

This is useful if you have a neck that's really stiff and won't develop any relief, or if a neck bows backwards.

I used to think that things like this were really great engineering improvements, but in the end all these improvements take away from the vintagey tone that most of us are looking for. There are reasons why the old magic formula was the magic formula, and messing with it usually doesn't get the results you want.

It's a shame you had to learn the expensive way. There's someone out there that wants to go through the same experiment as you, though, and I suspect you'll be able to sell it fairly easily.

Parts & Pickups

www.kokoteleguitarworks.com
KokoTele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep South View Post
Since I disliked the mighty might neck that came with my current Tele I decided to order a Warmoth neck.

The neck plays really wells. Super fast and the 6105 frets are a pleasure. It looks great to, birds eye maple.

However! my tone now sucks. I lost all my woody tone. It sounds overly bright and tight sounding. More ping than twang. I'm guessing I have to much metal and not enough wood.

And to top it off it made my guitar neck heavy. I have a very light weight ash body.

Right now I'm having my guitar tech reshape the mighty might and install 6105 frets.

/sigh Another experimental part to sell on Ebay.
Very sorry to hear it.

I have been hurting people's feelings, bashing these Warmoth Pro necks for a long time here, and suggesting potential issues pretty much exactly as you describe. I'll just bookmark this thread and post it every time someone suggests they might want to get this type of neck.

Thank you kindly for laying your tough experience down on the line. Takes a real decent guy to come forward and talk about his misadventures as well as his good luck stories - I appreciate it. Hopefully some others can be spared.

I suspect the loss of good tone is most acute with the Wizard profile. Which is a shame since that's the very type of neck this rod design is supposed to excel at.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 30th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have found the Warmoth pro necks to be superb. I've used 3, all of different radii and materials, and thought they all sounded good. I never tried the Wizard though. I favor fat necks. I too am sorry it didn't work out.

I also think the MM necks are the best bang for the buck out there, if you don't mind a slightly awkward looking headstock shape.

dan

Old September 30th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

just for reference did you change fretboard material (rosewood to maple)? Seems odd that the neck would kill the tone unless it has something to do with the way it lines up or fits in the pocket,sorry to hear about your bad experience but thank you for posting the results
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2010, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
just for reference did you change fretboard material (rosewood to maple)
No, I didn't change the fretboard. Both necks are maple.
Deep South is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2010, 10:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have a Warmoth Vintage Modern neck and love it. The dual action truss rods sound like an improvement but I honestly don't get it.
tfk0301 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2010, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'll join the camp of being a bit upset when I originally read this stuff on TGP. I just put together a Tele with a Warmoth pro neck on it and it definitely doesn't sound that good. It just doesn't sound as Tele as I'd like. I'm not gonna say plinky or whatever but I know it's not blowing me away. It's a fatback too. I'm probably gonna ebay it and order an allparts TMO FAT. Right now the board is rosewood on the Warmoth, maybe I'm not into the tone of rosewood boards.
Loobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Wow, it sounds like most of you guys are pretty down on Warmoth pro necks. I'm in the market for a neck right now and haven't made up my mind on which to get.

Is there anyone else out there who has had good experiences with the Warmoth pro necks?
Boolywho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Very satisfied customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolywho View Post
Wow, it sounds like most of you guys are pretty down on Warmoth pro necks. I'm in the market for a neck right now and haven't made up my mind on which to get.

Is there anyone else out there who has had good experiences with the Warmoth pro necks?
Just to answer your question, my Tele has a Warmoth pro neck with the standard C shape and a maple board. It's a custom job and was assembled with that neck from the start and it sounds and plays just fine.

That Tele has the characteristic tone this instrument is known for and has been my number one guitar since I got it about two months ago.

If I ever need another Tele, the neck would still be a Warmoth pro.
gotie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolywho View Post

Do an Advanced Search on member Arlo West and I think his most recent Tele build he did; which if I remember right had a Warmoth Pro neck on it.

Arlo's posts are great reading and he's very respected here. See what you can gather from reading his posts on this subject. I don't like the Pro necks based on what I know, but I suspect others have wider knowledge and I really appreciate the opinions of many of these guys.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2010, 02:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I'll jump on the Warmoth Pro bashing band wagon.

I liked my Vintage Modern neck tone though. But I never really, really bonded with that 10-16 raidus and vintage frets on the one I had.

That, and I felt like I was lying or cheating whenever I told someone I built the guitar, when I actually only built the body and ordered the neck. It was like a dark cloud hanging over my head. I had to rectify the situation by building my own necks from then on out.

I am a much happier person now. Besides, I like the way my necks play better. hehe

Old December 4th, 2010, 09:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'll definitely be interested as to how an ALLPARTS TMO-FAT neck will affect the sound of the guitar.

That being said, partscasters are always a crap shoot - there's never really any guarantee (even with the best parts) that it'll sound great, and add up to something equal to or even beyond the sum of those parts. You'd think on paper x body with x pickup and x neck, all high end would sound great, but will it?
Loobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loobs View Post
That being said, partscasters are always a crap shoot - there's never really any guarantee (even with the best parts) that it'll sound great, and add up to something equal to or even beyond the sum of those parts. You'd think on paper x body with x pickup and x neck, all high end would sound great, but will it?

Well, any guitar is a crap shoot. That's why we play 'em before we buy 'em...

That being said, I still like to build 'em, regardless of the risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Pickup View Post
'tone is in the underpants'
e-merlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Waroth Pro Neck Blues

I bought a fat C shape Warmoth Pro neck (maple with Malagasy rosewood) for a 3.5 lb swamp ash body, about 2 years ago. This design has 2 rods and it makes the neck weigh significantly more than the vintage setup - especially when used with a light weight body. I always felt that the guitar was way out of balance - tipping to the left. However, I could have lived with that if the tone was good; but it wasn't. Way too bright and thin, not at all what I would have expected! After having it professionally installed, plecked and set up (which cost more than the neck + freight to Australia) I sold it for a loss on ebay. Part of the learning curve if you want to make a decent partscaster.

Old December 5th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

The funny thing is, a bright sounding neck has just as good a chance of awakening a dull sounding body. There are lots of non-pro series necks that lean toward brightness as there are necks that lean towards bassy sounds.

There's nothing wrong with the Warmoth Pro Series necks in general. I have 3 of them with no complaints. Some people have just found them to not be a good match with their particular body. Take that bassier neck of your dreams and bolt it to a dull sounding body. Does that make the neck suck all of a sudden? Of course not!

www.telenator.com

Last edited by Telenator; December 6th, 2010 at 12:33 AM.
Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

This one is a Warmoth "pro" that I got from the gallery a while back.

It was OK on the first body I assembled it with but nothing special as far as tone.

I put the neck & same parts on a different 2 piece swamp ash body and the whole thing really came to life.

It's only one data point, but the neck & body apparently have to like each other's company for there to be a successful relationship....
claudel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-merlin View Post
Well, any guitar is a crap shoot. That's why we play 'em before we buy 'em...

That being said, I still like to build 'em, regardless of the risk.
Too true.
But after all every Fender, or other factory made bolt on neck guitar is essentialy a partcaster. Someone takes a finished neck of the rack of many necks and bolts it to one of many finished bodies. That's why some are better than others.

Old December 6th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

You may have saved me a few hundred bucks. I'm about to install a MM neck I acquired via Craig's List for really cheap. Then I thought I shouldn't be so cheap and should spring for a Warmouth neck. Mow I will just go ahead and install the MM neck and see if it works out.
Telenic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I don't really know about the crap shoot thing. All the guitars I have designed and built from scratch have all been super nice.