tele mod, bridge problem - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 7th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

tele mod, bridge problem

hello. I need some advise. I am going to turn my tele into a plus. many peple uses the humbucker gotoh bridge. I'm thinking about using the fender hardtail. is it going to work? or i will have problems with the existing pickup route/hole.

thanks for any advise

SerGeiTaElLiE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2010, 04:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

If your tele has traditional tele single coil pickups you will have to re-route the pickup cavities for humbuckers regardless of which bridge you use. Humbuckers are much larger than single coils.
Hekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerGeiTaElLiE View Post
I'm thinking about using the fender hardtail. is it going to work? or i will have problems with the existing pickup route/hole.
i agree you have to route the hole bigger....

check out my pics of my tele on some of the posts i did to see what it would look like with a hardtail

cheers
MrAndCruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 11th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Telefied

A typical humbucker surround ring is NOT gonna cover all the typical T bridge single coil rout. If your donor guitar is like many MIMs and has that additional removed area below the lowest part on the rout, that area will extend down into the area covered by the Strat Hardtail type bridge assemblies.

On the other hand that Gotoh integrated HB bridge is a giant monster. Way too big to look decent on a Tele body, IMO - even though I've been looking at those big bridges for 30 years. Never gets any better, no matter how long you look at it.
boris bubbanov is online now   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris bubbanov View Post
A typical humbucker surround ring is NOT gonna cover all the typical T bridge single coil rout. If your donor guitar is like many MIMs and has that additional removed area below the lowest part on the rout, that area will extend down into the area covered by the Strat Hardtail type bridge assemblies.

Gotoh integrated HB bridge is a giant monster. even though I've been looking at those big bridges for 30 years. Never gets any better, no matter how long you look at it.
this is true, i do have a little bit of the hole showing at the bottom of the humbucker ring....
my tele is an AM so i'm not familiar with the MIM.... the hole doesn't really bother me too much

i did try the big Gotoh bridge once, but did not like the look of it....too darn big

cheers
MrAndCruz is offline   Reply With Quote