60 cycle hum in the middle position - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 9th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

60 cycle hum in the middle position

It's been a long time since I've owned a guitar with single coils and I recently got a MIM Standard Tele. I noticed that the 60 cycle hum is actually a bit more apparent with the pickup selector in the middle position than it is when just one pickup is selected. It doesn't matter if I'm touching the strings or my hands are off the guitar, I still hear that bit of hum. I unscrewed the control plate and there were no loose wires. Do I need to ground this myself? I know on an old strat I had that there was a ground wire soldered to the bridge.

cdwillis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

strings have to be grounded.. chances are they are but if you have an ohm meter you can test that.

My strat has more hum in the in-between positions. More active pickups means more hum. If you had reverse wind/reverse polarity pickups the middle position would be quiet.

Come to think of it.. I am surprised Fender didnt make this guitar RWRP. Are PUs original? Is there a chance someone wired one of them backwards?

Old February 9th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I think it's a 2001 or 2002 and as far as I know (and can tell) it's completely stock.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 9th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thats something to think about, the "RWRP" thing.
zag1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwillis View Post
It's been a long time since I've owned a guitar with single coils and I recently got a MIM Standard Tele. I noticed that the 60 cycle hum is actually a bit more apparent with the pickup selector in the middle position than it is when just one pickup is selected. It doesn't matter if I'm touching the strings or my hands are off the guitar, I still hear that bit of hum. I unscrewed the control plate and there were no loose wires. Do I need to ground this myself? I know on an old strat I had that there was a ground wire soldered to the bridge.
If the hum is the same, whether you touch nothing, the bridge or the strings then I would turn my attention to the pickups.

Sounds like they are not reverse wound reverse polarity towards each other.
Not all Fender Telecasters offer this RWRP feature. For example, the stock 2010 Fender American Standard doesn't have that RWRP feature. Nor do AV52s. But a Highway One Tele or a No-Caster does.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

you would think rwrp would be a no brainer.
I think I read that the first guitars fender made RWRP were Duosonics. Funny that they would include that on their budget guitars first.

Old February 10th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Yeah, I just assumed one of the pickups was reverse wound. Since I've been playing (around 2001) I thought all the MIM Standards had the pickups set up that way.

Can I just flip the neck pickup or would that effect the EQ/output of the pickup?

Old February 10th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
---------------------------
Doctor of Teleocity

Touch the neck pickup cover. Does the hum get louder?
And FWIW, I prefer the sound of the middle position when the pickups are wound in the same direction and have the same polarity. Just like the old ones!
Flipping the pickup won't make a difference.
fezz parka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2010, 01:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Fezz, touching the neck pickup doesn't effect the hum no matter what position the pickup selector switch is in. Same thing for the bridge pickup.

I probably won't even mess with trying to flip the neck pickup. Since this is my first single coil guitar in years I thought I might want to eventually swap the pickups out for something with a little more output, but I'm quite pleased with the sound.

Old February 10th, 2010, 01:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
---------------------------
Doctor of Teleocity

Flipping it won't do anything, it's about the polarity of the magnets in the bobbin.
fezz parka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

60-cycle hum

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris bubbanov View Post
If the hum is the same, whether you touch nothing, the bridge or the strings then I would turn my attention to the pickups.
Boris, this past weekend, the soundman at our church came down to the band pit to locate the source of a hum he was hearing. Jokingly, I said that I was probably the culprit, since I was the only guitar player using single coil pickups (I had read that single coil guitars are notorious for their 60-cycle hum). Our band leader asked me to turn my volume knob down and when I did, the hum went away.

I was playing a newer 2009 MIM Standard Tele (paint-shielded pickup cavities) with Tonerider Hot Classics installed (RWRP pickups) and the pickup selector in the front (neck) position.

Is 60-cycle hum the fault of the Tele or of its electrical surroundings?

When you say, "If the hum is the same, whether you touch nothing, the bridge or the strings, then I would turn my attention to the pickups.", are you suggesting that one or more of those components is not grounded properly?

Great topic and great thread.

Old October 25th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Formerly known as Eryque
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderGuy53 View Post
Is 60-cycle hum the fault of the Tele or of its electrical surroundings?
Both :-)

Even if a guitar is shielded the pickups are going to gobble up any electrical noise flying through the air (known as RF) and send it to the amp.

To reduce the noise, you need to get a humbucking pickup (or a pickup set with a RWRP pickup for noise reduction in one position), reduce the electrical noise in your surrounds, or... just start playing. People never seem to notice the noise when you're playing.

Parts & Pickups

www.kokoteleguitarworks.com
KokoTele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by KokoTele View Post
Even if a guitar is shielded the pickups are going to gobble up any electrical noise flying through the air (known as RF) and send it to the amp.
or FOH board (we don't use amps)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KokoTele View Post
People never seem to notice the noise when you're playing.