ruh roh, broken neck screws... - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 7th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

ruh roh, broken neck screws...

I got a tele to work on... I went to remove the neck... grabbed my 18v drill and went to back out the screws.. 3 of 4 came out about a half in long! broken!

Never ever encountered this... How do I get the neck off? it is on there solid...with three of four screws...

oh holy men who call themselves tele techs... advice? drill them out?

Old December 7th, 2008, 11:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

Ouch!

No advice from me, just...

Ouch!

Tim
Tim Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

That's a bugger. I guess you could try an easy out. Or make you a little hole saw from some copper tubing and try to cut the wood around the screws. I'd chicken out and try the easy out.

http://www.ourstage.com/profile/nekkidcountry
voodoostation is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

What sort (brand) of guitar is this? Normally the screw holes in the body should be sized to allow the screw to slide through freely. Doesn't sound like that's the case in your situation.

I like voodoostation's tubing idea if you can find tubing of the right diameter. I would probably use a 5/32 in. drill bit and drill down until I hit the screw then use the tubing to drill around the screw. You can get 5/32 in. brass tubing at Hobby Lobby. That should go around the screw.

5/32 = 0.15625. According to the Stratocaster blueprint found in the Duchossoir Stratocaster book the neck screw holes in the body should be 0.166 in. diameter so the 5/32 in. tubing wouldn't give you oversized holes.

Nothing fancy about making the tubing plug cutter. Just use a triangular file to file notches in the end.

Put tape on the tubing as a stop guide so you don't drill little circles in the neck.

Disclaimer: When I say something.... always ask yourself ..... "What the hell does he know?"
I'm just not cool enough to be a Mac person.
I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea.
Jack Wells is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

it is a squier from a friend's son. The screws are definitely not freely moving.. I'll get some tube tomorrow.... let no good deed go unpunished... what would have been a quick couple of mods will now be a hassle...

thanks fellers! I really appreciate it.

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Did the forth one come out okay, and the other three just break off half way (or there abouts)?

I am with Jack, all the teles I've taken apart have had over sized holes in the body. Do you think someone put some kind of adhesive in the screw holes to get them stuck in there like that?

I've used the tubing idea on other projects, but never a guitar. I took a file and cut teeth in the end, and it worked just fine. Id say any pipe would work, not just copper, as long as it fit into the chuck of your drill.

What kind of body is it? Wood type? Finish and color?
Colt W. Knight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

What would Norm do?

Run a Sawz-All blade between the body and the neck...

That's what Norm would do.

But I like the tubing idea better.

"She's not only merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead." - The Munchkin Coroner
Buckocaster51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
... I went to remove the neck... grabbed my 18v drill...

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckocaster51 View Post
What would Norm do?

Run a Sawz-All blade between the body and the neck...

That's what Norm would do.

But I like the tubing idea better.

I didn't think Norm would use something fancy and modern like sawzall blade.
Colt W. Knight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

fair enough stuco, but I've done that same thing many times with no ill effects and I go slow.. they were spun before I got there... the fourth screw was a different make. My friend's kid is a tinkerer, he may have had the neck off before.... I'm gonna do the tube thing... I caught myself saying "just once I want things to go as planned," but didn't because I had about 5 things go well today..

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuco View Post

My reaction as well, but I'm thinking the damage was already done.

We need to find out a little more about the "repair history" on this guitar.

In other words, Randy, you was set up!

I can think of a dozen things I'd do to my own guitar in this instance but, given the surprises so far, I can't recommend any of them on someone else's - else's guitar.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

lol, just joshing. Screwing really isn't dangerous with a drill I suppose (that is with guitars I mean ), if the drill is set on very low. Unscrewing with a drill is probably not dangerous at all unless you have a vintage piece that you can't risk any stripping with the original neck screws.

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris bubbanov View Post
My reaction as well, but I'm thinking the damage was already done.

We need to find out a little more about the "repair history" on this guitar.

In other words, Randy, you was set up!

I can think of a dozen things I'd do to my own guitar in this instance but, given the surprises so far, I can't recommend any of them on someone else's - else's guitar.
I'm not gonna sweat it... I have some meetings tomorrow and a big project starting tomorrow night.. I'll get the tubing and make it in traffic and maybe tuesday night I'll tackle it... for the record, your honor, the screws offered no resistance coming out... they was gone already... ain't no thing.. I'm waiting for some left handed tuners for another guitar and I'm ready for christmas! whoa yeah!

Old December 8th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, and if there is some screw still sticking out then I would take a dremel tool and cut a little flathead notch in the end of the screw and well you get the idea.

Old December 8th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

they are down there about 1/4"... I can't quite see them..

I will admit to trying to tap them out.. but they weren't budging...

Old December 8th, 2008, 01:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

hmm, well it sounds like that straw thing Jack recommended might be your best shot. At least this won't happen again with that body.

Old December 8th, 2008, 01:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

exactly... it'll be a couple of days before I can tackle it.

Old December 8th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

So let me get this straight. You attempted to remove the neck mounting screws. Some part of the screw associated with the head of the screw broke off. So it sounds like the holes in the body are not "clearance holes" i.e, they are NOT big enough for the screw to freely glide through the hole. Because of that, they are stuck (threaded) into the body AND the neck?

If that is the case, I would drill through the holes in the body with a diameter big enough to obliterate the screw, until the neck is separated from the body. Then use jwells tubing idea to break out the screw and plug the hole with a hard wood dowel. I generally put the hardwood (oak) dowell in the drill press first and use a file edge to put groves (like threads) on the dowel. When you glue it in, the glue finds holding strength in those groves.

Good luck my man!!!!

Old December 8th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

Terry, you are correct. I have encountered several squiers that are very tight. When I've encountered them, I've always increased the diameter of the body holes... but, on this one.. it is as though the screws are threaded in the body...

I'm gonna give it a go.

Old December 8th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

For a clearance hole, a #19 drill bit should work (0.166" diameter). The next size up is a 11/64" (0.172") bit. The #8 screw is 0.164" nominal dia. Obliteration should occur.

Try to not drill all the way so the stub of a screw is sticking up out of the neck. This may allow for vise grip removal.

If you don't have anything to grab on, resolve to cutting the screw out. After you use the tubing to "break out" the screw in the neck, experiment with drilling a hole in a scrap piece of wood that is tight when driving the new hard wood dowel in it. Use that diameter for the neck. Grooves make the glue hold very good.

Am I being a jerk when I say "don't drill too deep and bust out on the front of the neck" !!! I've never done that, but it could happen so easily.