How Do Modern Squire Necks And Fender Necks Differ? Whole Guitars For That Matter... - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 10th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

How Do Modern Squire Necks And Fender Necks Differ? Whole Guitars For That Matter...

What separates a squire neck from a fender neck? for that matter, what about the bodies? i know the hardware and electronics differ (well.. I'm not POSSITIVE, conformation would be nice) because they are made cheaper, but what about the main stuff?
thank you in advance :)

Deadsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Fender uses ash, alder, and occasionally mahogany. Currently Squier usually uses Agathis (a.k.a poor man's mohogany), occasionally alder and pine.

Necks I don't know, they're both made of maple and/or rosewood, I don't know if there is a lesser maple. My guess is they save a buck by going cheap on the finish and fret.
MulliganChebichev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Squire necks are 1/4 to 1/6th of the cost. That's about it. They're made from the same stuff on the same machines.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 12th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
PJ
Friend of Leo's

It looks like the grade of maple - density, grain, that kind of thing - and finishing, that separates the two. Fret work, as well. Kinda what makes the CV unique (and the Made in India guitars). They have fairly nicely-done finishes that are normally found on higher-end Fenders. I'm working on one now - what I've found, is that if you find one of decent wood, with a nice finish, polish the frets, get rid of any sharp ends and tweak the nut a bit, you'll have a decent Fender neck. Oh, and replace the tuners. It's a bit of work, but some of the recent Squier stuff is OK with a little hand-picking and work.

Old September 12th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

It isn't always the case but Squier necks tend to be on the thinner side, which I don't like. I also got one that had a really crappy fret job, but other than that they're pretty good. It's all a matter of taste, but it doesn't get much better than a nice thick all maple Fender MIM or American neck. Maybe it's just me.
Jerolin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JD View Post
Squire necks are 1/4 to 1/6th of the cost. That's about it. They're made from the same stuff on the same machines.
the bolt holes for the neck are different !! wont work i tried and finally ordered a new neck
mcearlock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

The main consistent difference between Fender and Squier necks is the logo. Seriously.

Old September 13th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcearlock
the bolt holes for the neck are different !! wont work
I must correct my earlier statement on the matter. I think it may depend on where the Squier is from. The neck from one of my Squier '51s (Indonesia) has the same hole pattern and location as Fender. The neck from my Vintage Modified Thinline (China) has the same hole pattern but the distance from the heel end of the neck pocket is different.

Most modern American Fender necks have the Bi-Flex truss rod. In most cases you can identify such a neck by the truss rod adjustment hole at the headstock. If it has a walnut plug with a hole in it, it is most likely a Bi-Flex neck. A feature which I feel is seldom necessary.

Disclaimer: When I say something.... always ask yourself ..... "What the hell does he know?"
I'm just not cool enough to be a Mac person.
I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea.

Last edited by Jack Wells; September 13th, 2008 at 04:15 PM.
Jack Wells is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwells393 View Post
I must correct my earlier statement on the matter. I think it may depend on where the Squier is from. The neck from one of my Squier '51s (Indonesia) has the same hole pattern and location as Fender. The neck from my Vintage Modified Thinline (China) has the same hole pattern but the distance from the heel end of the neck pocket is different.
I must chime in here, since I'm in the process of putting a lefty Big Headstock Squier Strat (Indonesian) neck on my MIM Tele. The fit is snug but the holes don't line up like a previous (MIM, but not the original one) did. I'm having to fill and drill the neck. Yes, I'm taking pics so I can post the process.

And, yes, the Squier necks are usually thinner than the ones you can get on USA or MIM Fender guitars, but Fender has produced some really thin necks, too. 90s MIJ Strats and Teles come to mind. I've had several of those that had thinner necks than the Squier Strat neck I'm using right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Pickup View Post
'tone is in the underpants'
e-merlin is offline   Reply With Quote