Clear Coat Question - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 31st, 2008, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Clear Coat Question

Hey all, C+G here.

I was wondering what would be the best clear coat. Right now I have some of the new Krylon clear coat on hand but I see a lot of people using Deft. Is there a problem with the Krylon one (I plan on painting a solid white color to the body and neck with Krylon)? Is there a problem with Deft on the new Krylon paint (I saw a post where it gave a nice crackle effect )?

Thanks!

p.s.
Since I'm here, looked around and haven't seen many threads on painting necks a solid color. Right now it has a poly coat on it (maple neck) and I was wondering if I could just scuff sand it, prime it, paint it... Thanks again!

Cottus&Gyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2008, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottus&Gyes View Post
Hey all, C+G here.

I was wondering what would be the best clear coat. Right now I have some of the new Krylon clear coat on hand but I see a lot of people using Deft. Is there a problem with the Krylon one (I plan on painting a solid white color to the body and neck with Krylon)? Is there a problem with Deft on the new Krylon paint (I saw a post where it gave a nice crackle effect )?

Thanks!

p.s.
Since I'm here, looked around and haven't seen many threads on painting necks a solid color. Right now it has a poly coat on it (maple neck) and I was wondering if I could just scuff sand it, prime it, paint it... Thanks again!
The Krylon clear is not nitrocellulose lacquer, it's acrylic lacquer and it will take a long, long time to dry properly. I recall one account of someone who used Krylon clear and he reported it was still too soft a year later. Deft is nitrocellulose lacquer generally works over Krylon. Perhaps the crackle effect is from a new Krylon formula? ( I read something about this here, methinks) Minwax is now making a clear nitro that's available at Home Depot or Lowes, but I have yet to find it in my area. Yes, you can scuff and paint right over the poly neck.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2008, 11:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Deft can be used over the old Krylon formula, which was an acrylic lacquer. The current Krylon formula (it comes in cans with an ovoid shaped cap) is an enamel, and is incompatible with nitro lacquers (Deft and others). You need to get colored nitro from one of the guitar suppliers, or acrylic lacquer from an automotive or hobby shop. Some folks here say you can mix enamels and lacquers, but the odds are probably 99% against you.
Ironwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 2nd, 2008, 12:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I just refinished an SX body and I have 2 experiences.

I used Reranch stuff to do the body and that stuff was really good. And expensive. I don't regret using it because it came out really good. But I also refinished the headstock and rather than having to send away for the reranch stuff again(which did I mention was really expensive?), I went to home depot and picked up some minwax spray laquer. It went right over the Reranch clear and I think it flowed as good at the reranch stuff at less than half the price.

Minwax clear is killer. I'm planing a sonic blue build soon and that's what I'm going with.
redddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2008, 12:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Appreciate the replies!

Hmmm... quite the situation I stumbled into. I only found the new Krylon paint cans at my retailing store so here's another set of questions. How necessary is the clear coat (might sound silly but in my current situation, I am quite curious :( )? Would polishing over an acrylic lacquer give it a false sense of dryness (obviously polish would happen after I personally feel the acrylic lacquer is "dry")? Are there other suggested painting methods (currently I have a sand scuffed body and neck)?

Thanks!

C+G

Edit:
Is the Reranch stuff enamel based like the new Krylon formula?

Old August 2nd, 2008, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

IS the Minwax black label a nitro lac and will it darken over time or is full of uv inhibitors?
freewater2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2008, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I hear that the Minwax black label is nitro. I believe only Deft uses the UV inhibitors.

Old August 2nd, 2008, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottus&Gyes View Post
Appreciate the replies!

Hmmm... quite the situation I stumbled into. I only found the new Krylon paint cans at my retailing store so here's another set of questions. How necessary is the clear coat (might sound silly but in my current situation, I am quite curious :( )? Would polishing over an acrylic lacquer give it a false sense of dryness (obviously polish would happen after I personally feel the acrylic lacquer is "dry")? Are there other suggested painting methods (currently I have a sand scuffed body and neck)?

Thanks!

C+G

Edit:
Is the Reranch stuff enamel based like the new Krylon formula?
No, Reranch only sells lacquer. A clear coat isn't necessary for a nitro base color, but I wouldn't bother with polishing acrylic. IMO, the only thing that's going to give you a high gloss out of a spray can is nitrocellulose lacquer.

Duplicolor auto spray "touch up" paints are a good base color alternative, but they are small cans and after you've bought enough to do a full body, you've spent as much as the one Reranch can you could have used.
Deft, Minwax, VHT or Mohawk nitro spray cans are only about $6 each. You're not going to be able to do it right any cheaper than that.

Old August 2nd, 2008, 10:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

It is very possible to shoot DEFT over "enamels."

The Tractorcaster was done with Tractor Supply JD Green Spray Enamel under DEFT.

Not going to say it was easy. Nosirreebob! But it can be done.

I shot it thin over white primer. Let it dry for a good moth. Then let it dry some more.

Started with VERY thin mist coats of spray gun DEFT. Then let that dry as long as I could.

I would have used a lacquer in a heart beat, but I couldn't find it.

Of course I could find lacquer for RED tractors, ORANGE tractors, and BLUE tractors. But not GREEN tractors.

I guess I live in the wrong part of the country.

"She's not only merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead." - The Munchkin Coroner
Buckocaster51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2008, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks all for the help! I think I have an idea as to what I am going to do. Next topic: My first tele!!!

C+G

Old August 3rd, 2008, 10:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

As far as I know, the Minwax Black label stuff is nitro WITHOUT UV inhibitors. It will darken.
redddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks Red no lets go hunting.he-haw
freewater2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

So what clear coats HAVE folks used successfully over the new Krylon? Will poly work OK?
Hucklebilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2008, 07:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Don't cut corners

Stick with the Nitro lacquer. If you don't want to get the StewMac stuff which is all I'll ever use, get high gloss Minwax spray lacquer at Lowes or Depot. Lacquer sets up to the touch in minutes and is very forgiving. It burns itself into the previous coats, floats on and is very painless. Just pre-warm the can in a pot of hot tap water for 15 minutes beforehand. Makes a world of difference and floats on like glass. There are many other threads on pre-warming your lacquer. You can't rush a finish project. It's the journey, not the destination. Remember that.
lacquerbreath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacquerbreath View Post
Stick with the Nitro lacquer. If you don't want to get the StewMac stuff which is all I'll ever use, get high gloss Minwax spray lacquer at Lowes or Depot.
lacquerbreath,

I'm curious why you like the StewMac lacquer so much. What does it got that Deft or ReRanch or any of the other don't have?
jimd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

The stuff stewmac sells i s behlen or mcfadden i believe. Reranch is great. But a spray can costs more than a quart from stewmac.
Old Cane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimd View Post
lacquerbreath,

I'm curious why you like the StewMac lacquer so much. What does it got that Deft or ReRanch or any of the other don't have?
Reranch has become a part-time venture it seems and difficult at best
to spend money with them. Accessibility is a problem. Wouldn't know how
or where to get Deft and I generally have other things in my Stew-Mac order so getting the lacquer is painless from them. The product is excellent as well.
lacquerbreath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Cane View Post
The stuff stewmac sells i s behlen or mcfadden i believe. Reranch is great. But a spray can costs more than a quart from stewmac.

I have using the Watco Nitro with good results. My last stock up was a gallon of semi-gloss for 18.00, and high gloss 9.99 for a quart, well 6.00 for the quart, but got lucky it is usually 9.99.

So am using the semi for the first coats, and the last few the gloss.
I have not tried fine sanding the semi and polishing yet, I mean all semi with out the gloss top coat.

I also have been doing a heavy lacquer thinner laded last coats to float up a nice glossy surface. But I also have been 00 steel wooling the previous coats too.

This has surprised me it works as well as it does. The ones I have done this to will get sanded and polished when that paint is GOOD and DRY. ;)

Here is one of the un-sanded/polished last coat ones I finished the other day. It did get some over spray on the back, so it will for sure get wet sanded and polished.

I should mention it is all tinted clear, in case that is not obvious enough. My compressor quite last night while doing a lake placid blue Squire 51 over white primer for practice. Just filled the sprayer can up too for the second pass. Sheait!!!

Old August 5th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

doesn't stew mac just have amber, red and black? I guess if that works that fine. And for the last 3 months or so reranch has been taking orders every day. I just say if you want real fender colors and don't want to mix your own, use reranch. Of course, I won't force you. It's not like we're married.
Old Cane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I have placed about 10 orders with Reranch in the last 6 months ( lots o' projects ) and I have never waited more than 5 working days for any order. Most of the time I get the order in 3 working days. Now, to be fair, my being in Oklahoma and their being in Texas may help a bit on the delivery time. As a fairly new painter and tinkerer, I have found their lacquer clear coat, amber neck tint and lacquer paint to be consistantly good.
castpolymer is offline   Reply With Quote