2 volume zero tone - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old May 7th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

2 volume zero tone

Iv'e been on the site a few times and love the questions and feedback given, there is always plenty of good advice and ideas to ponder.
My question is this, I am wanting to replace my tone pot with another volume pot.
Before I purchase a volume pot and start disconnecting any wires I would like to know if the pickups will emit a bright or dull sound.
As I always keep the tone set on 10 I'm hoping for a bright sound.
Thanks for all advice given in advance.

Last edited by harley; May 7th, 2008 at 12:02 PM. Reason: mistake in question
harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I can't explain the science of it, but my Tele is wired like that (the electronics and body are from a John 5 tele).

It has 2 vols, but a nice treble roll off when you turn down the volume (acts like a subtle tone control to my ears).

It's been lonely in the saddle since my horse died
nasonm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have run some guitars without the tone pot and the sound has always been brighter because I removed the cap from the circuit.

You have all you need to try out your idea. Rewire your guitar so you have a pot between each pup and where the pup normally connects to the switch. Hook the switch output directly to the out connection presently connected to the volume center raker.

Each pot would be wired somewhat like the present volume pot, one outside connect to ground, pup white to the other outside connect, center raker to where the pup white was hooked to the switch (this assuming standard wiring for pups, black to ground and white to the switch.

There is enough room between the pots if you feel the need to install a Gretsch style tone cap toggle.
6x47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 7th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

You will have the permanent "tone at 10" sound when a pickup is selected on its own (positions 1 & 3).

I've wired strats so the 1st tone knob is a master tone and the second a blender for the neck or bridge pickup when it's left out of any given switch setting. It's a decent option. Reason why I mention that in your case...

You'll actually have a wide range of tone adjustments in position 2. With both pickups selected, reduce the neck pickup volume for more treble, reduce the bridge pickup for more bass.

One day I'll finally have the perfect guitar for me. That's also the day I'll get arthritis. It was a fun ride.
fivenote is offline   Reply With Quote