Nashville Tele Wiring - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Tele-Technical
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tele-Technical Telecaster nuts and bolts talk ONLY

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 3rd, 2008, 05:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Nashville Tele Wiring

Hello everyone!

Is there an "easy" way to wire the Nashville Tele, so that I keep the original five positions, while also adding the bridge+neck pickups in series and in parallel??

By the way I don't REALLY need the middle position alone if that makes it easier.

Thanks...

- Christoffer

chrisdk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Chris-
Well, "easy" is a loaded term here. For starters, I don't know what kind of a switch you have on that from the factory, but you'll need more than the std 5-way "strat-style" switch to do series/parallel combos. You need a switch like the Fender "superswitch" for that.

Or, you can use a push/pull pot to do this as well.

Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Well yes it is a standard 5-way Fender Switch, with the standard wiring.

Does anyone have a suitable wiring diagram, perhaps for the suggested Superswitch or P/P Pot?

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdk View Post
Well yes it is a standard 5-way Fender Switch, with the standard wiring.

Does anyone have a suitable wiring diagram, perhaps for the suggested Superswitch or P/P Pot?

Buy the Super Start switch from Deaf Eddie's site and I'll bet ya a bucket of old strings he will have the wiring scheme you want, or will figure it out in his head in 10 seconds. ;)
robt57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

AFAIK, IF you want to KEEP the stock five combos, you will have to add TWO push/pulls or toggles.

One switch can easily be wired to give you the bridge (or neck) pup ON all the time, so you can play the bridge+neck or all-three-pups combos.

A second switch can be wired to give you the bridge and neck in series, but it DOES get a little messy.

A Superswitch can be wired to get the two "new" combos you want, but it wouldn't ADD them to the stock five - you'd still only get FIVE combos - you'd have to pick your favorite five. I can draw that up for you, once you pick 'em.

SO, there's no "easy" way to do it - you just have to grit yer teeth and do it!

BTW, I don't sell the Superswitch on my site, only my rotary mods for Strats (the Chromacaster and FAT-O-Casters). But, thanks for the plug!

Old March 3rd, 2008, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Eddie View Post
AFAIK, IF you want to KEEP the stock five combos, you will have to add TWO push/pulls or toggles.

I didn't even know you were here. ;) I got my 4 way in my Tele a while back, courtesy of ya'll. [at least I thought I had.]

I should show you the SyKoStrat I did on my Shecter VS Strat one day.
It is my R&D platform git. ;) 6 position Rotary on one HB that does coil splits and phase reversals, a Mini switch on the other HB for a split, and the center SC I left alone ala stock Strat [in switch position and lineage] Although I string wrapped the coil, put copper tape over the string/coil and grounded it. ;)

I had a dream one night afer spending a few hours looking at your schems on the site, and woke up with the soldering iron in my hand over the VS on the bench. [I think I hd swallowed my pillow too]
robt57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2008, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:

One switch can easily be wired to give you the bridge (or neck) pup ON all the time, so you can play the bridge+neck or all-three-pups combos.

A second switch can be wired to give you the bridge and neck in series, but it DOES get a little messy.

A Superswitch can be wired to get the two "new" combos you want, but it wouldn't ADD them to the stock five - you'd still only get FIVE combos - you'd have to pick your favorite five. I can draw that up for you, once you pick 'em.

SO, there's no "easy" way to do it - you just have to grit yer teeth and do it!

BTW, I don't sell the Superswitch on my site, only my rotary mods for Strats (the Chromacaster and FAT-O-Casters). But, thanks for the plug!
Okay thank you...

Sounds a bit difficult to me :)

What if I give up on the middle pickup alone setting - would that make it a smaller operation? I would like to keep it down to resoldering the switch and adding 1 P/P Pot as maximum if possible...

Old March 3rd, 2008, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Because of the switch that Fender uses, you can NOT just "give up" one combo - rewiring the switch affects the adjacent tones as well (except on the B-Bender models, which use the single-wafer Superswitch).

If you want to try something SIMPLE that will get you part-way there, just swap the mid and neck pup leads on the 5-way. That will give you these tones:

1 - bridge
2 - bridge+neck
3 - neck
4 - neck+mid
5 - mid

... AND, let us know how you like that.

Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Because of the switch that Fender uses, you can NOT just "give up" one combo - rewiring the switch affects the adjacent tones as well (except on the B-Bender models, which use the single-wafer Superswitch).

If you want to try something SIMPLE that will get you part-way there, just swap the mid and neck pup leads on the 5-way. That will give you these tones:

1 - bridge
2 - bridge+neck
3 - neck
4 - neck+mid
5 - mid

Hi Deaf-Eddie!

You are right, that would get me part-way there. But one of my favorite tones is the bridge+mid for the Strat-like tone.
I guess another option would be to wire it with bridge+neck (in parallel) instead of the mid?

Then I would of cause be missing the middle alone position, and bridge+neck in series which I do like for a fatter tone...

Could another option be to install a 4-way switch, and wire the middle pickup to a P/P Pot, which could be activated in the bridge only and neck only position, for those in between sounds??

Sorry if I am being difficult :)

Old March 3rd, 2008, 05:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Here you go...

Quote:
I guess another option would be to wire it with bridge+neck (in parallel) instead of the mid?
That can NOT be done with the stock Strat-style 5-way, or we would have suggested it.

Quote:
Could another option be to install a 4-way switch, and wire the middle pickup to a P/P Pot, which could be activated in the bridge only and neck only position, for those in between sounds??
Almost... That has been discussed here before. You'd just use the p/p to add the mid pup to whatever the 4-way had selected. That scheme gives you all the stock Nashville tones but one (you lose the mid-pup-only), the two new tones you've asked for, PLUS two more combos (all three parallel, mid parallel to the neck-series-bridge.

With the p/p down, the 4-way gives you the normal (two-pup) 4-way combos; pull the p/p and it adds the middle pup to whatever you've got on the 4-way.

Don't forget to un-ground/re-ground the neck pup's cover...

Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I used a push pull without the superswitch and it works great. Pull up to get the neck/bridge combo.
rlivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I have a toggle switch, but only for a series/parallel option. (It almost doubles the volume, like a humbucker, by grounding the bridge pickup through the neck pickup.) I used one-half of the Fender superswitch.

Here is a wiring diagram: PDF

Cut switch in half:

--gh
blacklinefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Chris-

Quote:
I think you mean Bridge+mid, since you already have bridge+neck in position 2 on the switch?

As a matter of convention, BTW, parallel combos should use the "+" sign, series should use the "*", since electrically that's what's happening. Thus "Neck+mid" implies a parallel connection; "neck*mid" means series.

Old March 4th, 2008, 02:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newey View Post
Chris-

I think you mean Bridge+mid, since you already have bridge+neck in position 2 on the switch?

As a matter of convention, BTW, parallel combos should use the "+" sign, series should use the "*", since electrically that's what's happening. Thus "Neck+mid" implies a parallel connection; "neck*mid" means series.
No. Right now I have:

1 - bridge
2 - bridge+mid
3 - mid
4 - mid+neck
5 - neck

Thanks for all the other suggestions by the way.

Old March 4th, 2008, 02:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlivin View Post
I used a push pull without the superswitch and it works great. Pull up to get the neck/bridge combo.
I'm not sure I fully understand you. What switch do you have, and which combinations do you get?

Old March 4th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

LIKE THIS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlivin
He's saying (I @SSume) that he's using the stock "Strat-style" 5-way like you (Chris) have, and has added a single push/pull to get the bridge+neck combo that you wanted. That is an easy one to do, but it gives you NO SERIES combos, the combos are all parallel.

You simply wire the p/p with its common lug jumpered neck (or bridge) pickup's lug on the 5-way (along with the pickup's hot) , and its "pulled" lug jumpered to the volume pot.

You would PULL the p/p to have the neck (or bridge) pickup ON all the time, regardless of where the 5-way is.

P/P down, you have the normal five combos; p/p PULLED gives you the neck+bridge combo, as well as all-three-pups. Again, the combos are all parallel - NO SERIES. To get a series combo would require an additional switch.

Whether you select to have the bridge or neck pup on all the time will determine at which end of the 5-way the neck+bridge combo will appear, at the bridge-end or the neck-end. A jumper to the neck pickup to put it at the bridge-end of the 5-way (as shown in the drawing); or, a jumper to the bridge pickup will put it at the neck-end of the 5-way. You pick.

Old March 4th, 2008, 11:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Yep, Thats what i did. Thanks Deaf Eddie for explaining it.
rlivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks guys!

Quote:

1 - bridge
2 - bridge+neck
3 - neck
4 - neck+mid
5 - mid

So I could wire it like this (like a B-bender) if I replaced the Fender Switch with a SuperSwitch?

So I would have:

bridge, bridge+mid, brige+neck, mid+neck, neck.

That would be the 3 classic tele tones, with my 2 favorite Strat in-between tones...

Old March 5th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Yup, with a Superswitch (Fender uses the "half superswitch" in the B-Bender model) you get individual lugs for each throw, not the "shared lugs" in throws #2 and #4 of a Strat-style 5-way.

You could "mix and match," and put your favorite five combos on it - and, in any order.

Old March 5th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Yup, with a Superswitch (Fender uses the "half superswitch" in the B-Bender model) you get individual lugs for each throw, not the "shared lugs" in throws #2 and #4 of a Strat-style 5-way.

You could "mix and match," and put your favorite five combos on it - and, in any order.
That sounds great. Do you have a wiring diagram for the positions I mentioned above with such a superswitch - or know where I can find it?

Also, will a Tele Barrel Style Switch fit, or will I have to live with a strat tip?