The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 27th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Awwww nuts!

Pretty sure this would be the proper area for this.

Id like to learn how to properly remove/choose/install a new nut for my LP. I just noticed the other day it has a decent size crack in the side of it.

Never done this type of job before, but I am handy. Please lead me in the right direction ( or left ).

telemaster7082 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

YouTube is your friend for this kind of instruction. Just search for replacing a nut on a les paul. You'll see many tutorials on it.
Mark Adkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Poster Extraordinaire

To remove a nut, I score the edges where the nut meets finish with an xacto knife and tap the nut backwards toward the peghead using a small block of wood and a mallet. I make bone nuts out of PetSmart bleached dog bones. I saw them into blanks and use my small 4 x 24" belt sander with a piece of wood clamped down to the table and up against the belt to minimize the gap. This allows me to sand the blank into a rectangle. Then I cut and sand to shape, file slots using nut files and saws, and sand and polish it up some. The dog bone allows you to make a bunch for cheap so if you mess up...it's no big deal. Make sure to keep your hands away from power tool cutters and abrasives with such a small part being shaped.
guitarbuilder is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 27th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_sa...Bone_Nuts.html

These are real nice to work with. (the link above).

Making your own has been posted here as well:check the Ron Kirn reply there:
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home...need-help.html

I made my own once out of a soup bone that I barbequed 3 times to age it lol. Hey it works well and is still in service. That was getting my fingers scary close to the grinder. It was a LP style nut I built. The fender ones are much thinner and scarier.

Those stew mac slotted ones are my choice these days.
You'll need some nut files to set the final string heights as well.

Stewart Macdonald also has a great article on making, installing and adjusting your guitar nut here:
http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Nuts...es/i-5350.html

If you're bound and bent to do it yourself, get one of those nuts and whatever glue you want to use and slip me an e-mail (just click on my name here and it will give you my e-mail addy) and if you want to drive 50 klicks south (just past Kemptville on 416) and you can use my tools if you like. Good nut files and just about anything for guitar work. If you want to make your own nut, you're on your own. I hate the sight of blood.
Being retired, I am almost always home.

Old December 27th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItchyFingers View Post

I made my own once out of a soup bone that I barbequed 3 times to age it lol. Hey it works well and is still in service. That was getting my fingers scary close to the grinder. It was a LP style nut I built. The fender ones are much thinner and scarier.

Stewart Macdonald also has a great article on making, installing and adjusting your guitar nut here:

If you're bound and bent to do it yourself, get one of those nuts and whatever glue you want to use and slip me an e-mail (just click on my name here and it will give you my e-mail addy) and if you want to drive 50 klicks south (just past Kemptville on 416) and you can use my tools if you like. Good nut files and just about anything for guitar work. If you want to make your own nut, you're on your own. I hate the sight of blood.
Im actually in South Mountain, 15 minutes east of kemptville. Thanks for all the info and the offer, I may take you up on it so be prepared!

I dont have any of the nut files, but I have everything else, I think, to remove the old one. I will most likely be buying a pre slotted one.

Old December 27th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Friend of Leo's

I don't think it's worth it to buy a pre-slotted one, but up to you. It's so much cheaper and more fun to make one!

Old December 27th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

$15 and its the first time Im doing it. Plus I dont have the files. I think I'll sleep good.

Im sure Ill make one eventually.

Old December 28th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Adkins View Post
YouTube is your friend for this kind of instruction. Just search for replacing a nut on a les paul. You'll see many tutorials on it.
Quote:

Mark is dead-on information-wise. But I answered a new member's question like that once and ended up with him in a huff that I wasn't very helpful for just sending him to where he maybe should have gone to begin with.

Itchy's response is also as kind as they come, and I am envious of him for being retired and being in a position to help in the manner he so generously offered to. I hope to be able to do like that one day too.

Everybody that responds to help with questions like this is what makes this site so great. Thanks to you all and I am proud to be a member.

Rex
TRexF16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Hard to tell what is going on from your description, but wicking some superglue in the crack and it may hold for years and years unless you are just dying to get a new nut.
SamClemons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemaster7082 View Post
Im actually in South Mountain, 15 minutes east of kemptville. Thanks for all the info and the offer, I may take you up on it so be prepared!

I dont have any of the nut files, but I have everything else, I think, to remove the old one. I will most likely be buying a pre slotted one.
Sheesh we're almost on the same road. Anytime Man.
Watch out for the Deer on the road. We lost a local Lad from Oxford Station (half a klick from home) Yesterday due to a deer hit and I have hit one on my road and just missed a few but of course living out here, you already know that.
You have to do the work though (I am not touching anyones LP).
Learning to cut a nut is invaluable to any guitar enthusiast.
Slip across anytime. Bring the LP. Got any pictures of the crack?
It may be repairable too for 0$.
I am almost always home (No $ for anything else right now) and almost always alone (divorced last year).
Just making my whole house a man cave these days bit by bit.
Regarding retirement, just think of those days when you call in sick but aren't without the guilt lol.

Old December 28th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Pssst. But don't tell anyone. Bone dust works nice too.
"at least a temporary fix" he says. It works very well.....comfirmed.
I have bought a few guitars that only needed that to get them right.
When you see a guitar for sale with a string missing, that is a big red flag for "I cut the nut too deep so I'll just pretend it is missing a string".
It only works well on bone it seems. Or at least not plastic....confirmed.

Old December 28th, 2013, 09:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Pssst. But don't tell anyone. Bone dust works nice too.
"at least a temporary fix" he says. It works very well.....comfirmed.
I have bought a few guitars that only needed that to get them right.
When you see a guitar for sale with a string missing, that is a big red flag for "I cut the nut too deep so I'll just pretend it is missing a string".
It only works well on bone it seems. Or at least not plastic....confirmed.

I worked for a while is a pretty reputable guitar shop ( certified to repair the big names) and the bone dust and superglue was an accepted fix for a low cut slot on many guitars that came in.
guitarbuilder is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I am just on the Stew Mac website now, and there are two different nuts for Gibson guitars. the only difference being the string spacing. I cannot get the same number that they have when I measure my spacing.

I do not feel like ordering both.

It is a 2006 Les Paul Classic, if that helps.

Old December 28th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Admittedly not the best solution, I really must fix it properly one day but for about the last 5 years every time I change the strings I change the piece of paper too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nut 002.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	212338  
ScottJPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemaster7082 View Post
I am just on the Stew Mac website now, and there are two different nuts for Gibson guitars. the only difference being the string spacing. I cannot get the same number that they have when I measure my spacing.

I do not feel like ordering both.

It is a 2006 Les Paul Classic, if that helps.
Whip over and we'll measure it accurate to .001"
I'll e-mail you the directions and phone #

Old December 29th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I visited a lad today back of Iroquois. I bought a used CVC thinline from him. And a gibby style neck with some amazing inlays (that was not planned lol)
I swapped out the plastic squier nut (which was cut too low and overcompensated for at the bridge end). Put in a bone one, changed strings from 9s to 10s and the intonation of the 3 saddle bridge even worked out good. Great guitar now for cheap.
The point is This lad closed a music store and has a huge stock of new and used guitars priced right and a nice workshop.
He explained the smell of bone was from him just making a new nut.
The Gibby neck has no nut so I'll be ordering one myself (likely tomorrow after I measure to see if the wider one will fit).
Ther only diffeence in those 2 nuts is the string spacing which you could probably measure quick with a good steel ruler.
But anyway. He offered to make and fit a nut for probably a third the price you'd pay anywhere else. Great guy.
I'll give you his number too next time we talk.
Way better than the city for pricing. Closer to you than me but only 25 minutes from me too.

Old December 29th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Was this "mike"? Advertises on kijiji as "guitar trader.ca"?

Ive made a few deals with him, but I think he was sour after our last trade, in my defence if he did not want to do the trade he could have just said no. I was e mailing him about a gretsch he had advertised, and he was asking me outrageous trade options; imho of course.

Old December 30th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I forget his name. Trades are always tough at dealers. Could have been.
All I know is I saved about $200 on the thinline over the local store price and only required a nut and a few hours of adjustments. The fretsd are not even marked.
I guess someone without the skills would have been dissappointed over time with the nut the way it was. No doubt it was a trade in.
He is moving toward just high end acoustics so I could see him not wanting to trade for another electric.
I'll deal with him again. Especially when it comes to a quality acoustic at a reasonable price.
I just thought it would be pretty handy to get a nut that quickly if you are in a rush.
The gibby style neck I picked up there for my home made gibby style needs a nut.
I'll be ordering a Stew Mac one though. I'm not is a rush though.
I traded one guitar once. A very rare B.C. Rich Mockingbird Platinum.
I wanted an acoustic at the time but over time I kicked myself in the butt for doing that. Dealers do NOT want your trade be it cars or guitars.
But anyway it was just another option.
We'll stick to plan "A" if you prefer. No worries at all.

Old December 30th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I re measured yesterday actually, I must have been sleeping the ither night, Ill be putting my order in today.

Mike lives in a large house on the south side of Highway 2. His company name is "guitar trader", the mention of high end acoustics leads me to believe this is him. I did get my Blueridge off him, among many other items. I may want to deal with him again but from the sounds of it he does not want to deal me. Maybe that is the way Im taking it; but that is what it seems to me. I know when he was "bluegrass connection" he had quite the collection, a lot of really nice stuff.

Old December 30th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarbuilder View Post
I worked for a while is a pretty reputable guitar shop ( certified to repair the big names) and the bone dust and superglue was an accepted fix for a low cut slot on many guitars that came in.

i have try as not permanent fix cause sometime you don't want to remake immediatly a nut just for that ( a slot too low) and when you become more courageous redo one ,but in fact it doesn't move at all and i have one nut that i have don't redo cause the fix is durable
ludobag1 is offline   Reply With Quote