Dang... - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 23rd, 2013, 06:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Dang...

I was just test fitting my Schaller ST-6 tuners on my USACG neck and… well, I'll let the pictures do the talking.

So what the hell? I'm pretty damn sure the USACG holes aren't the problem, I've never had this issue before. But it's my first time using trapezoid type tuners… Do they take a different hole spacing? Surely not…

So what on earth do I do now? Get in contact with Schaller? Gawd almighty…

Deed_Poll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2013, 07:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I think you look at the dimensions on the peghead holes and get a different brand. The tuners are no doubt fine as is.

An excerpt from the link below:
kylek35010-15-2008, 06:38 PM
I talked with Tommy @ USACG. He only has the vintage spacing (non "F" tuners). He said that if that what's you want, he will provide a blank head for you to drill yourself.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/arc.../t-451890.html

******WELCOME TO THE IGPA MUSEUM ******
Due to funding cuts, the museum is closed.
guitarbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2013, 08:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks for the link. Yeah it looks like that's my only option, I don't think there's enough spare material to grind them down even.

It'a a bit of a shame as I'm really going for a '70s aesthetic with this build. Does anyone have any suggestions? Will Klusons fit a 10mm hole if it comes to it?

Cheers

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deed_Poll View Post
Thanks for the link. Yeah it looks like that's my only option, I don't think there's enough spare material to grind them down even.

It'a a bit of a shame as I'm really going for a '70s aesthetic with this build. Does anyone have any suggestions? Will Klusons fit a 10mm hole if it comes to it?

Cheers
Bummer. I agree with you, you'd grind right into the mounting holes if you tried to grind them to fit. Best to find the closest tuners you can, that fit, and will have maybe some of the aesthetic you're looking for. StewMac sells "conversion" tuner ferrules that, if I recall correctly, will allow you to use Klusons or Gotoh look-alikes in 10mm holes.
R. Stratenstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Cheers Stratenstein, it's good to know there are ferrules out there if I completely bugger this up… but I'm going to have a go at grinding them. Welp!

What I'll have to do is cut a bit of wood, screw another piece in at the appropriate angle then I can line all the casings up, with the screws into the wood (on the back side), butted up to the piece I screw on. Then I can very carefully run this flat back and forth along the grinder to make sure the amount / angle is the same.

I figure even if I do wear into the holes a little it won't matter too much as the heads of the screws should cover this up - and the fact each tuner has 2 screws should mean that the tuner is nevertheless located properly. If that fails I have a spare set of Klusons and will buy the ferrules.

Thanks

Old December 23rd, 2013, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deed_Poll View Post
Cheers Stratenstein, it's good to know there are ferrules out there if I completely bugger this up… but I'm going to have a go at grinding them. Welp!

What I'll have to do is cut a bit of wood, screw another piece in at the appropriate angle then I can line all the casings up, with the screws into the wood (on the back side), butted up to the piece I screw on. Then I can very carefully run this flat back and forth along the grinder to make sure the amount / angle is the same.

I figure even if I do wear into the holes a little it won't matter too much as the heads of the screws should cover this up - and the fact each tuner has 2 screws should mean that the tuner is nevertheless located properly. If that fails I have a spare set of Klusons and will buy the ferrules.

Thanks

You're a braver man than I, DP, in any case it will be a close-run thing, and I wish you the best. for better or worse, let us know how it comes out.
R. Stratenstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2013, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Why screw up a set of tuners you can use on another guitar? That makes no sense to me when you have klusons available. It's not like they'll be "period" correct after the grinding.....

******WELCOME TO THE IGPA MUSEUM ******
Due to funding cuts, the museum is closed.
guitarbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2013, 04:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I understand your concerns, and I know it's far from vintage correct - owing in large part to the fact that the body will be Jazzmaster inspired! So even though I get the big stuff wrong, I like all the little details to be just right. I even got the headstock sprayed with an extra layer of tint to imitate the '70s pegheads.

I agree the tuners won't be vintage correct when I've ground them down but I only need to take 1/2 or 3/4 of a mm off each side. What I want to keep is the Trapezoid shape as I feel it is very evocative of a '70s aesthetic.