The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 15th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Cabronita build / bridge grounding

Hi folks,

I have been lurking around long enough, searching and finding answers to my questions, so thank you for everything so far! I'm just starting my very first build, which will be sorts of a La Cabronita, and ran into my first (hopefully of not too many) small obstacle along the way.

I have a nice two-piece alder body with Fender measurements and supposedly all Fender routing and holes predrilled. I was inspecting the body, taking pickups measurements (will be minihumbuckers instead of Gretsch style pu's) and noticed there is no route for the bridge ground wire.

So my question is how does Fender do it? For myself, I can see only two options:

1) Drill from the bridge pickup cavity towards the bridge, which does not sound like a very good idea, considering the string-through holes and bridge screws there in between (unless I can somehow ground the bridge from the very front).

2) Take a long drill bit and drill through the output jack hole until about where the bridge is, then drill a shallow hole through the top, which would remain hidden under the bridge. I'm just not sure what this means for the already small contact area under the bridge.

Either way, I suppose it's a good idea to solder the ground wire to the bridge? Thanks!

ansla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I use a long drill bit, and drill from somewhere near one of the bridge mounting screw holes at an angle into the control cavity. Then I skin the wire and insert it into one of the mounting holes and it makes contact with the screw and the bottom of the bridge by compression.
bullfrogblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Drill from the bridge pickup cavity at as shallow an angle as you can (a long bit is needed), until you are under where the bridge will be. Drill down to meet that. Run your ground wire from the control cavity to the bridge pickup cavity and from there to the underside of the bridge.

Yes, you need to ground the bridge, but the contact area does not need to be large in order for the current to be grounded. It doesn't even need to be soldered, just firmly pressed against the bottom of the bridge.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 15th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

What he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogblues View Post
I use a long drill bit, and drill from somewhere near one of the bridge mounting screw holes at an angle into the control cavity. Then I skin the wire and insert it into one of the mounting holes and it makes contact with the screw and the bottom of the bridge by compression.
Kinghat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

another thing, if you paint it in lacquer, you may run into the bare wire sinking into the paint enough to cause connection issues, which is why it's such a good idea to get the wire down into a screw hole
Kinghat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Thanks for comments, I'll make sure to get the grounding wire in the bridge mounting hole so it'll stay in contact.

The holes in the body are for American Standard style bridge, with the string-through holes in front of the bridge mounting holes. If I drill from the bridge pickup towards the bridge, I'm a bit concerned that I might accidentally "hit" on of the string through holes. So I might go from the control cavity/output jack hole after all.
ansla is offline   Reply With Quote