What Got You Into Lutherie? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 21st, 2013, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Tele-Afflicted

What Got You Into Lutherie?

For me, it was this. Notice that poor headstock.

I played the snot out of it from 2002 to 2007 then SNAP! I always thought that I needed a new neck and was appalled by prices for a new one. When I did save money while this Jackson sat, I bought other guitars and gear so, it sat in closets until around May of 2011.

At some point in early 2011 someone told me that they thought that it was repairable. REPAIRABLE!!! THAT NEVER FREAKING OCCURRED TO ME. I caught some sort of disease from those words, I think the medical term is the DIY bug.

The first book I bought was Guitar Player Repair Guide. Followed by whatever else I could find and afford and my collection is still growing. The way I discovered TDPRI was through googling whatever repair oriented googles a guy does when researching and it always seemed to lead me to some answer or path on this site called TDPRI! Eventually I became a member and chit chatted and learned some really cool stuff that you won't find in books. Anyway, great forum, great peeps, thanks for existing!

So back to the Jackson headstock, I FIXED IT!

With regular Titebond wood glue. Smeared glue on both sides of the busted wood, wiggled and pressed it back together as best i could and began wrapping the crap out of it with hemp lace or leather lace, I forget it was a touch stretchy and strong so I made it tight. Followed that up with a few rubber bands and a clamp somewhere. I have a picture of this somewhere, I'll break it out when I find it. After I unwrapped it the next day and cleaned it up, it felt pretty damn strong so I continued and filled a few spots where wood was missing with QuikWood. It was the worst smelling stuff but it worked awesome! I never played with anything like it

So my Jackson continues it's life with me and here I am 2 years later having thought about building guitars everyday since, and pulled off quite a load of projects I might add! That's what got me into lutherie. I'm pumped for the build challenge and best of luck to all those participating!

Old July 21st, 2013, 09:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Tele-Meister

I started working on guitars as a poor college student, my roommate and i both had ****ty gibson copies and decided me could make better guitars out of them and we went home for a weekend laundry run and both built even ****tier guitars but I was hooked ,and believe me it is highly addictive good luck to all
jim the plumber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim the plumber View Post
I started working on guitars as a poor college student, my roommate and i both had ****ty gibson copies and decided me could make better guitars out of them and we went home for a weekend laundry run and both built even ****tier guitars but I was hooked ,and believe me it is highly addictive good luck to all
haha, highly addictive! good luck man and please, no crack shots on your challenge thread!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 21st, 2013, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Luthiery

Old July 21st, 2013, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefrs View Post
Luthiery
oh stop it
Category:Lutherie
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Lutherie is the making of wooden, stringed, musical instruments, such as guitars

a luthier is a builder
I aspire to be a luthier

Old July 21st, 2013, 10:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstcustom View Post
oh stop it

Lutherie is the making of wooden, stringed, musical instruments, such as guitars

a luthier is a builder
I aspire to be a luthier
What he said.

(but, the judges will also accept '"luthiery", though I just learned that TDPRI does not - site spell check flagged it). There is actually at least one school that spells it that way.
TRexF16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Decided to build a small guitar amp for a guy's retirement. Got fascinated by the amp circuits. Looked on youtube to listen to an old Gibson amp, there was a link to a kid playing a guitar box guitar. Clicked on it because I was curious. Had to build one after that. Did a three string. Was going to do a quick six string box guitar when I cruised this forum. Now I can not seem to get back to building amps.
printer2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 11:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

moddin' 'em... when I was a teen, i was as afflicted by moditus as most... I'd take mine apart, do something useless, put it back together, and swear how much better it sounded...

Well... i did it enough times, it dawned on me, this ain't rocket science, and I'm not a rocker scientist, so I must be qualified to build one from scratch... still got the itch tooo..

but is wasn't long before all my guitar picking' buds were showing up wanting me to work on theres... and the seed was planted...

Jump forward a handful of years, and I'm a big-wig pro photographer.. at the NBC affiliate.... and my fav guitar shop is owned by an amateur photographer.... so .. I'd teach him... and he taught me...

Ron Kirn
The closest I ever got to a 4.0 in college was my blood alcohol content.
www.ronkirn.com
Ronkirn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 11:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Poster Extraordinaire

I was a couple years out of college and had a teaching job about 1200 miles from home. I wasn't enjoying the job or location all that much. I saw an article in Guitar Player Magazine about the Guitar Research and Design School in Vermont. I sent a letter making an inquiry about the program and was informed that there had been a cancellation in the next section starting in Late July. If I wanted in, I had to send some deposit money. The next school started in Mid August, and I wouldn't have been done with the guitar program in time for the start of the next year by a few weeks. I sent my deposit and letter of resignation. Yep, I took a chance and it was one of the better decisions I made. I finished the class, started to build some instruments, and ended up getting a teaching job nearby which was perfect for my newly acquired skill development.
guitarbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 12:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Friend of Leo's

Well... I was about 12 when I started playing guitar, I made a super crappy band with my buddy, but it was a tonne of fun. My first guitar was a crappy Academy Strat Replica. I still have it, and use it out in the shop if ever need a break. I wanted to have something unique, so I modded it, switching out pickups, and pickguards. I used a crappy weller soldering gun that I bought from an auction for a dollar (you had to hit it for it to work). I thought about building a guitar, but wasn't too serious about it. Then I moved out to B.C. two years ago and that really enabled me to. I lived in small town of 2500 people, and there was only a rona for building supplies, and they had no power tools. Here they have everything. So I got pretty serious about it. I bought some wood from my shop teacher and glued it up there, then I brought it home and started doing my thing on it. I kind of quit working on it for fiveish months, because I frankly didn't know how to continue. I found TDPRI and things went pretty fast from there. Now I'm pretty addicted to guitar building. I don't know what I would do without it, it's become a major part of who I am. Last night a brush fire right near my house was threatening to burn down our neighbourhood, and the first thing I did was wrap up my guitars and take pictures of all my tools so they could be easily replaced with insurance.

Old July 21st, 2013, 12:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Poster Extraordinaire

I wanted a La Cabronita back when they first came out, but they were $3000 or something. They looked simple, so I put together a partscaster with premium hardware and electronics for about 1/3 of the cost, including the tools I had to buy. While researching stuff for that, I got hooked on the THD, and started getting ideas.

Climbing Mt. Stupid since 1962
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 12:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I just love building guitars, thats all I need as a reason :)

https://www.facebook.com/ScumoftheFNearth
NastyMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 01:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

First, let me point out the hazards of pointy guitars. . . . But you fixed it, and love it, so that's what matters.

I was looking for some pedal schematics or wiring diagrams and Google kept sending me here. I jumped around a bit, to other channels, and found Jack Wells' 2010 Challenge build.

Just my dumb luck that I found this brilliant thread! Jack explained and illustrated everything he did so clearly and competently, I thought, hell, I've got the woodworking tools and experience, and with this for a guide, I can figure out the rest. I can do this!

Well a lot of $$$$ later for some of the luthiere, uh, lutherey, uh--oh hell, Guitar Maker's tools from Stew Mac, LMI, and others, here I am building the things, looking at wood differently, and enjoying the company of a lot of new friends here.

In one sense, I view it as really just an expansion of my woodworking hobby, but on another level, it's much more. It is very addictive.

Old July 21st, 2013, 01:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Friend of Leo's

Modifying everything since the 1970's and thinking all the time as I took things apart - "I can make that...."
Mojotron is online now   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 01:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Friend of Leo's

The SOB that brought a cigar box guitar to a blues jam infected me with this disease. How hard can it be to carve a poplar stick and screw it to a box? I don't know, but now I make entire electric guitars, pickups and all. In fact i dream of ways to make it harder Every time. By the way, F! all yall for making this look as easy as that damn cigar box guitar!

Old July 21st, 2013, 03:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstcustom View Post
oh stop it

a luthier is a builder
I aspire to be a luthier
Sorry but this is one of those occasions where Wikipedia is just plain wrong.

The word is contentious even within Wikipedia. "Lutherie" appears to be a mid-western American invention ca 2010, whereas "Luthiery" has been around in English for several centuries (like since C16).
One of the things I have done is build lutes, and yes we have books on how to build them dating from that time. TDPRI does not check spelling but my Firefox browser does:- lutherie <=spell check error; luthiery <=correct spelling. Plus I did do an on-line check of the spelling, just to check. I think Webster has it as luthiery too.

No it is not an American-English versus English-English thing, the spelling is completely wrong.

Old July 21st, 2013, 03:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Guitar playing and low income.
I have played guitar for close to thirty years. I love them. I used to sit for hours, even when not playing, and just hold them in my hands, study/admire them, run my hands over them. If I saw one when I was out somewhere, I had to touch it. They were (and are) beautiful, mysterious, sexy, irresistible, and I had a deep desire even early on to learn how they go together, and it's been a long lasting dream of mine from almost the very beginning to learn to build them.
Add to that the fact that I was a poor musician who had a hard time paying for setups, repairs, etc., so I was literally forced to learn how to do it myself. That branched out into working on others guitars. About 5 or 6 years ago, I believed I had the knowledge to buy all the parts and assemble a great guitar, so I gave it a shot. Still have that guitar, and it's a great one. After that I realized the next step was to get me some wood and get crackin', lol.

The only thing necessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.
gitlvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 05:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

When I was about 12, I designed a guitar. It was pointy, and it was going to be called:

The THUNDERCADE DESTROYER!

It never got started, thank goodness.

About 10 years later I used to fawn over the raw strat bodies and necks at my local music store. I would have loved to build a partscaster, but in those days there was no internet, and to buy the raw body and neck and subsequent parts from the local music store would have had me building a strat that unpainted would have cost more than an American Strat. At the time a company called "Squier" was just starting to release teles and strats, I wish I'd bought one now. That was about 1987.

Long story short, fast forward some 20 years, cue the internet, cue boredom, found the TDPRI, found that peole were helping others build, did the usual thing and held back from joining for a year or so, designed and built a lapsteel from aluminium, worked out I couldn't play it, built my first tele using the knowledge base we have here just before the 2011 challenge. Then, joined the 2011 challenge and did well enough to have the bug well and truly implanted.

Now confirmed addict, beyond help.

I'm full of dust and guitars - Syd Barrett
kwerk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 06:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefrs View Post
Sorry but this is one of those occasions where Wikipedia is just plain wrong.

The word is contentious even within Wikipedia. "Lutherie" appears to be a mid-western American invention ca 2010, whereas "Luthiery" has been around in English for several centuries (like since C16).
One of the things I have done is build lutes, and yes we have books on how to build them dating from that time. TDPRI does not check spelling but my Firefox browser does:- lutherie <=spell check error; luthiery <=correct spelling. Plus I did do an on-line check of the spelling, just to check. I think Webster has it as luthiery too.

No it is not an American-English versus English-English thing, the spelling is completely wrong.
Last I checked, neither lutherie nor luthiery are in Websters. The two spellings are interchangeable and both have been in use for centuries: neither is incorrect.

Old July 21st, 2013, 06:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Decided to build a small guitar amp for a guy's retirement. Got fascinated by the amp circuits. Looked on youtube to listen to an old Gibson amp, there was a link to a kid playing a guitar box guitar. Clicked on it because I was curious. Had to build one after that. Did a three string. Was going to do a quick six string box guitar when I cruised this forum. Now I can not seem to get back to building amps.
I have The Guitar Amp Handbook. I cruise it. I'd be down for building an amp someday.