RW Fretboard care: Formby's Lemon Oil or Scott's Liquid Gold? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 2nd, 2013, 07:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

RW Fretboard care: Formby's Lemon Oil or Scott's Liquid Gold?

Hey folks - I have a new rosewood all parts neck that looks pretty dry. Can anyone recommend between either Formby's Lemon Oil or Scott's Liquid Gold?

Dan Erlewine's book just says 'lemon oil' with no clarification or specifications. I've heard other people use Scott's, but its not totally clear what's in it.

Any help would be appreciated.

rmcali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 07:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I use Formby's Lemon Oil as needed on my RW finger boards. There are as many different opinions on this as there are players. Prepare yourself for a plethora of different answers.

The older I get the less a lifetime warranty means to me.

My Web Page
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

"Lemon oil" typically has no anything from a Lemon in it... it is mineral oil with synthetic perfume added.... while the Mineral oil is great, and what I recommend, the perfume is an alcohol based solution, and can dry out wood fibers...

Better and less costly alternative, Mineral oil.. it's safe for a Baby's bum, it'll be fine for your neck...

Ron Kirn

take a peek at my new offering....
http://ronkirn.com/blackie.htm
Ronkirn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I use "Old English Lemon Oil Furniture Polish". As RonKirn said, its just mineral oil with a lemon scent added. It doesn't seem to dry my wood out, leaves it feeling well oiled and brings out the color in it too.

Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Make some lemonade, then use the left over lemons to rub the neck???? I use the old english.
SamClemons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 09:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

done this before, but FYI . . . note section 3, . . . and remember, Petroleum Distillates doesn't come from Lemons....

http://www.rbnainfo.com/MSDS/US/OLDE...US-English.pdf

Since it states that it's 90 - 100% Petroleum Distillates, that leaves a few % for the other stuff that makes it qualify for the "Harmful or Fatal and may cause irritation" notation in section 2.

And for those wondering if Mineral Oil is actually Petroleum Distillates..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

when considering that remember, pure Mineral oil is ingestible...of course you won't wanna be too far away from a "Porcelain Facility" the next day, and it also is a great remedy for diaper rash... so it kinda makes ya wonder exactly what are they putting in something as benign as mineral oil, to make it poison...

One last consideration... the Alcohol in "lemon oil" can do amazing things to Nitro too...

Your call...

rk

take a peek at my new offering....
http://ronkirn.com/blackie.htm
Ronkirn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Plain, drugstore, mineral oil also sells for about $5 a pint.

I use it on butcher block countertops in my kitchen....and on all my non-finished guitar fretboards since my tiny bottle of Luthiers Choice lemon oil ran out about 25 years ago.
KevinB is offline   Reply With Quote