Stew Mc Diamond Fret files - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 26th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Stew Mc Diamond Fret files

Im about to order one. Anybody got suggestions on the best one?

michael0703 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I have the dual grit one in medium. Works fine, can't fault it.

Old March 27th, 2013, 01:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

There is a guy selling diamond crown files on eBay right now for less than $30, I bought one and did a fret job over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised.
danecho283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 27th, 2013, 01:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Stew mac = over priced. IF his service compensated for the ridiculous over charges, I'd understand, BUT....

I bought fret wire. Took 6 weeks to get it. On week 3 I was calling and emailing, no response. I finally get my order, and see the ship date stamp... from TWO DAYS PRIOR.

Thinking that was a fluke, I ordered a radius block... yup. It was sold out, but they neglected to either tell NOR refund my money. after a month of having my cash tied through them I FINALLY got a refund.

I know some people swear by them, but not this guy. I've had great experience with a couple guys on ebay. If you want, I can send you a PM of their ebay stores. You will save money AND get a good product.
bob1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2013, 05:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1234 View Post
Stew mac = over priced. IF his service compensated for the ridiculous over charges, I'd understand, BUT....

I bought fret wire. Took 6 weeks to get it. On week 3 I was calling and emailing, no response. I finally get my order, and see the ship date stamp... from TWO DAYS PRIOR.

Thinking that was a fluke, I ordered a radius block... yup. It was sold out, but they neglected to either tell NOR refund my money. after a month of having my cash tied through them I FINALLY got a refund.

I know some people swear by them, but not this guy. I've had great experience with a couple guys on ebay. If you want, I can send you a PM of their ebay stores. You will save money AND get a good product.
I don't know...their service is excellent and you may be the first to say they weren't satisfied with it. That is one of their big pluses. Any company can be out of product....it happened to me on Ebay 2 weeks ago. I ordered the stuff from a well known ebay guitar products vendor and paid for it, and then they said they didn't have it due to inventory error on Ebay.

I've dealt with STewMac for 3 decades and they always come out a winner, even after they have an occasional mess up.

Guild of Archaic Guitarmakers
guitarbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2013, 05:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, I am not prone to overpaying for anything- Stewmac has almost always outperformed everybody else as far as customer service, and their record keeping saved me after a computer crash ate all my financial records (real PITA at tax time). Their quality products have made my life a bit easier, and helped me become a better builder. I'm surprised to hear of a problem.

That said, there are many other great suppliers. It's really convenient for me to find exactly what I need, make an order, and have it delivered to my door in a matter of a couple of days.. The Stewmac shipping consistently outperforms my other main suppliers. Surprisingly fast, most times.

Old March 27th, 2013, 05:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

OP, I have three Stewmac fret crowning file systems. The flat one is cheapest, but the least useful. The three double sided ones that have handles are good if you are only doing work once in a while. Much better, as they are diamond- but they cause some hand fatigue and if you get to moving fast, they get hot- I like the long, double sided diamond files best for straight crowning- hands down.

The ones with the handles are really nice for little touch-ups when you don't want to yank the strings off..

The first one I mentioned came with their "Essential fretting tool" bundle, and it works within reason, but I can't say I like it. I have had it gather debris and mar brand new frets. Best left to the trash collector if you can manage to spend the extra money for the diamond files.

Old March 27th, 2013, 06:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Wow , that's the first negative I've seen on Stewmacs customer service. In my experience their customer service has been stellar , and their products work, and work well . They ship fast , communicate well and take care of any issues I've ever had almost immediately .

I've got to many clamps , and sometimes they are not enough
adirondak5 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2013, 07:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Stuff gets to me in Australia in 4-5 days from Ohio.

Only issue I've ever had with Stew Mac is my fret nippers got a chip in them.

Old March 27th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have had good experience with Stew Mc as well. I can say that they do offer some gadget products that are not necessary or great but overall I am satisfied with the products i have bought. Thanks for the input on diamond files

Old March 27th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

As I said, I know a lot of people have had great experiences with them, Im not really too sure what happened with me. Every time I tried calling, I felt like I got a hungover 21 year old who couldn't be bothered to do their job.

As far as products go, Im sure they are top notch, quality products. I just know I won't be spending my cash there anymore is all.
bob1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Stew Mac has the best customer service I have ever experienced with any company, and their tools that I have purchased and used have all been top notch.

I use the 300 grit #5051 file. It has a long double sided file for Med. and Wide widths. Best crowning file I have ever used. I can recrown frets in a matter of minutes, making the task a pleasant chore. Before switching to this file, I hated crowning frets.

Be careful with those cheap ebay files. They can wear out quickly, and most are not rated for use with Stainless steel.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting...xst=3&xsr=3611

Old March 27th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Be careful with those cheap ebay files. They can wear out quickly, and most are not rated for use with Stainless steel.
My Dad taught me a long time ago, "Stupid" is a choice.... like when someone gives ya really good advice 'n ya decide to ignore it....

Colt just gave y'all good advice.... saving money by buying cheep eBay junk is false economy....

Get the good stuff, specially in tools...

rk
take a peek at my new offering....
http://ronkirn.com/blackie.htm
Ronkirn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thats the one I ordered Colt. Cant wait to try it out, got three fretted necks waiting...

Old March 27th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten."
bullfrogblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronkirn View Post
My Dad taught me a long time ago, "Stupid" is a choice.... like when someone gives ya really good advice 'n ya decide to ignore it....

Colt just gave y'all good advice.... saving money by buying cheep eBay junk is false economy....

Get the good stuff, specially in tools...

rk
Yeah.. I was thinking of just buying a cheap e-bay one.. But when I think about it, I want to be building guitars into retirement.. A long time away! So for me, the quality does matter. I just hate when things round up to 100 and it's coming from my wallet.

Old March 27th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have the cheaper handled one, it gets the job done. My problem is I can't find it, and I have 2 guitars needing crowning right now. I'm tempted to order the deluxe diamond one, I'm sure I'll find the old one 5 minutes after I place my order.

Anyone willing to part with a file you're not using anymore, let me know. :)

Old March 28th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I really appreciate stew Mac as a resource but could not justify $83 for one file. Like I said the one off eBay was $23 with free shipping, 40ish had been sold, I read a lot of good reviews before I bought it and it worked great on the first guitar I crowned. The seller did say do not use it on stainless steel frets so I wasn't misled. With all the homemade jigs and diy alternatives around here I did not think it was a stupid alternative. I have learned from a lot of guys in this thread that there are a lot of cheaper alternatives and homemade options to stew Mac tools, that's all.
danecho283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2013, 03:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

When We decided to move to Ghana, it was obvious that I had to place rather bigger order at SM. Did the list, sent it, paid it via bank transfer. Three days later UPS showed up before my door with the goods and papers. Paid the dues, got them. When I opened the box, apart from the goods, there was a nice little short handwritten letter from one of their employees ( had talked to them one the phone before ordering) wishing me good luck in Africa and with my building and a small package of sweets for my back then 11 months daughter. Sugarfree swets!

Mind you, the money wasn't even at their account yet.

After getting here, I realized that the string spacer ruler was missing, it had been a couple of months. A polite email and they sent it via express service to my address in germany and a friend brought it over here.

I have to admit, they might be sometimes pricey but if I had the finances, I'd darn equip the whole workshop with their products.