Refurbed an old cheapie. - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 16th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Refurbed an old cheapie.

A Rouge Tele I got 15 yrs ago, was my first dip in the Teleish waters. I think I paid $90 for it used w a gig bag. I always liked the neck, tho its certainly nothing special. It's a toploader, was creme with a b/w/b guard, and pretty generic and somewhat microphonic cheap tele pickups. Over the yrs I put on some better tuners and reshaped the headstock a bit.
Last week I painted it pink Krylon, and put on a new bridge and GFS lipstick tube pickups. A different sound for sure. Extremely twangy with a nice bark-like growl with the Bassman cranked to light breakup. I have no idea what I'll use it for, but it sounds pretty darn good clean up to mild breakup thru the Bassman, esp with open cowboy chords a jangling. I may raise the action and try some slide on it. Definately think some Surf will sound good with some reverb, plan to pick up an FRV 1 for the Bassman anyway.

I accidently sanded thru the thin Krylon at the belly cut, but decided to leave it for historical purposes :).

Heres a closer look at the bridge and pickups. The Wilkerson plate lined up perfectly with the old outside holes, but wasnt quite long enough, hence the small gap.

teleforumnoob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Cool!

Old March 16th, 2013, 11:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Man, I was thinking pink would not be good, but this doesn't look bad at all.

john
Tezuka27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 17th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleforumnoob View Post
Heres a closer look at the bridge and pickups. The Wilkerson plate lined up perfectly with the old outside holes, but wasnt quite long enough, hence the small gap.
Nice job.

I have a pink refinish I'm my future, too. My 14 yr old daughter wants a pink to purple sunburst sparkle....

Btw - are those GFS lipstick pups? I bought on for a build last year that did not line up with a Fender or StewMac bridge plate. Yours look like they fit great. Just wondering.
sjohnbruton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Yes they are GFS. Havnt spent a lot of time with em yet, but they seem very similar to those in the old Silvertone I had for a while. But I dunno, that was 30 yrs ago. The Tele bridge style one fit the Wilkinson perfectly. The strat sized neck one was a little big for the route. Had to grind out the route with my dremel. But thats fairly common on Tele bodies I think. The standard tele neck pickup is a good bit smaller than a strat sized pickup.

Old March 18th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Awesome job. Cant wait to see the pink to purple sunburst sparkle.
TotallyReptiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

That krylon looks really great. Congrats!
tvvoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvvoodoo View Post
That krylon looks really great. Congrats!
Thanks. It's a little tricky to work with. You cant just patch up a mistake, its dosn't melt into itself like laquer. If you screw up or sand thru, you gotta do a whole nother coat. I doubt Id try it on something expensive, but for polishing this old turd it was a fun project that turned out ok I think. If you try it, warm up the can and go slow. Mist it on and let the paint set up 5-10 min between applications. You can get some really nice colors of this stuff for cheap, around $5 a can at Wally World. This color was called Ballet Slipper. I chose the satin cause I figured gloss would show my screw ups more, plus I wanted an older, softer look. I dint bother to clear coat it. I just used some McGuires and polishing pad on my hand drill.