Ongoing Build, Non-Tele content - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 15th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Ongoing Build, Non-Tele content

Hello there,

crazydave said it's OK, so I'll try to document my current build.

Tele only oriented, please look away because this has so little to do with a gorgeous Tele.

I met this guy a year ago in Berlin, heard him playing a very sweet sounding Lake Placid Blue Telecaster, wanted to see his rig and found out that he is an extremely cool and nice guy, so I offered to build a guitar for him.

We did sketches etc. It took us a while till we got the shape down and I started.

I actually finished the guitar or the woodwork so to say. I can't sprav to save my life so I got a real sprayer for it. To make the long story short, he messed it up, I had to tell the guy that it is going to be later than thought, he was OK with it.

It is going to be an African Mahogany body, walnut neck with ebony fretboard. As for pickups, he decided to use Dimarzio Mini Humbuckers. Schaller tuners.

The bridge is completely custom and I milled it myself when I was in istanbul last year.

So I started a new one, about 2 weeks ago. Here is the story so far.

This is what we have drafted. I have to say that we have deviated from our draft a little. We decided not to use the inlay at the 12th fret and the pickguard has been changed as well.

After I got back to Ghana, I first took a blank and cut out the shape, did the rounders and marked the neck pocket by routing it a Centimeter deep. European blood here, no inches for me.

It is quite hot here, This is the only way I can work at these temperatures.

metecem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I changed to fresh cutters and went for the neck blank

to get this:

Just as almost everybody, I decided to put a truss rod in it, so I did this:

Then placed the truss rod in it:

I did the cavities on the body, deepened the neck pocket a little more and took a look.

I cut the fretboard, thicknessed it, did the slots and glued it on the neck blank. No pictures of that but I am sure you can imagine.

While waiting, I sprayed the strat clone body I am working on for myself:

Then disaster struck. After trimming and routing the fretboard, I saw that the neck blank had a huge bow. In the middle point the bottom was about 6mm up in the air. I don't know what happened, It was a three piece laminated neck from the same board with the middle part turned upside down to get some stability. So it had to be sacrificed.

Took out the truss rod and put it away for a future personal project. Nobody is gonna get a truss rod from me on which the plastic has been scraped.

Then I went through my existing wood and found another nice slab of walnut and did what a man's gotta do with it. There we go, we have a new neck blank.

Old March 15th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I did some grain filling on the african mahogany. It took about 2 rounds till everything was filled. Then hit it with some sanding sealer. Actually brushed it on. That took about 4 rounds until everything was perfectly flat.

Then I decided it is time to get some primer on it.

So this is where it is basically. I will be taking the neck out of clamps tomorrow and on Monday I'll trim and route the fretboard flush.

Thanks for watching!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 15th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Nice design, the mahogany body has very nice grains and it is a pity to be berried under a thick layer of colour but this is your guitar after all.
Sorry for the neck.
Subscribed for the final reveal.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch,(or a Telecaster), you must first create the universe." -- Carl Sagan
nickhofen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhofen View Post
Nice design, the mahogany body has very nice grains and it is a pity to be berried under a thick layer of colour but this is your guitar after all.
Sorry for the neck.
Subscribed for the final reveal.
Thank you nickhofen.

The guy could decide on pickups, tuners and the color.

He chose to have it blue. He's got something on blue :)

Old March 18th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Not much to report today, unfortunately.

I spent about four hours at the local paint shop to get two shades of blue. It is always a PITA here to get such stuff. Either there is none or if there is any, the guys don't want to or dont know how to mix stuff. Just as I thought allmis gonna work out, we had one of our usual daily power cuts. In the end I came to the workshop with the paint, some clear, sandpaper etc.

I did do the radius, though. Then deepened the fret slots and then did some sanding.

Tomorrow I'm gonna cut the slots for fretboard inlays and fill them with some Apoxie Sculpt, get them flush and install the frets.

Old March 19th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Looks cool! Subbed.

Old March 19th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Nice body shape! I'm into non-traditional.

Old March 20th, 2013, 03:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

So I screwed up the bar inlay routing. It is somehow frustrating because we can't even find two pieces of reasonably straight plywood here. We are moving from Ghana to another country in 19 months (we don't know where to yet) and in case there are enough ressources, I'm gonna turn into a jig maniac!

So yesterday I took another blank, did the usual cutting and routing. Today I'll do the slots for the new fretboard and glue it onto the neck.

I'm giving up on the bar inlay idea for now, I just don't have the time, material and wood to give it another try.

Pics will follow today.

The paint is ready, I might be spraying today. Two layers of color and from tomorrow on the clear coats. Unless it rains. We didn't have rain for almost 3 months and of course today the sky turns grey.

:) luxurious problems of an expat :)

Old March 20th, 2013, 03:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Nice body shape! I'm into non-traditional.
Thanks Jupiter!

I thought there was little love for this build on the forum, you just made my day :)

Old March 20th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by metecem View Post
Thanks Jupiter!

I thought there was little love for this build on the forum, you just made my day :)
Nah...............I'm watching every day! . We've had missionaries from our church have the same issues (poor to no resources). Your not alone here

My Facebook
crazydave911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 07:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've been watching as well. Last time I checked it though I got so distracted by that router bit that I wandered off the site trying to figure out what it was and forgot to post...

Really cool build! Really unique, it's what gatemouth brown would play if he contacted fender for a custom guitar.
clsatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Wow...love the design! Looking forward to more...
fretman_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Thank you guys!

New neck and fretboard are in clamps. Weather is way too humid even to think about spraying.

Pictures this evening :)

Old March 20th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I'd like to hear more about that router bit, too. The blades come off? Interesting. Set up could be a hassle, but cool to be able to sharpen them and put them back in. Are there other shapes you can replace with?

Old March 20th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I like the idea for fret dots in the first post. Interesting. Good looking build.
Waylanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
I'd like to hear more about that router bit, too. The blades come off? Interesting. Set up could be a hassle, but cool to be able to sharpen them and put them back in. Are there other shapes you can replace with?
It is a holder onto which you install the blades. The spare blades come in 10 pcs packs. Every blade is double sided, so you can just turn them around and use. I never tried sharpening, especially because I can find sharpening stones or such here. Got them from Titman UK. Here is a link to their 12MB catalogue: http://www.titman.de/html/catalog/Ti...talog_2013.pdf

Not very cheap in the beginning but the blades are really very reasonably priced and they remain sharp for quite some time'

Old March 20th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylanderer View Post
I like the idea for fret dots in the first post. Interesting. Good looking build.
Thank you Waylanderer. Unfortunately I will not be making those markers because I simply can not get it done well with my current setup. Maybe the next one.

Old March 20th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I also like the body style - very modern looking, and not pointy. Shame to cover up nice Mahogany, though.

Old March 20th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
There are no other cutter shapes, it's a basic flush trim bit with removable cutters. Also there is virtually no setup because the cutters just fit in.