blade neck pickup mount no pickguard. ideas? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 12th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

blade neck pickup mount no pickguard. ideas?

I have a Lollar charlie christan blade pickup that i want to use in the neck position of my first build. It is a double-f hole thinline style and i was going to mount all the controls through the wood les paul style and not use a pickguard. I have shaped my body, and have the template attached with standard tele PU route shapes. I cut my chambers with a jig saw and have glued on the top cap (with f holes already cut) and was going to glue on the back cap, with an access panel, when i was done with the top routes and drilling control holes.

What are some ideas for mounting this PU? I was thinking of gently taking off the laminate top plate for the PU, and routing a shallow channel that fits the body of the PU tight for the top 3/8" and then opens up for the wires, and mounting it from the back, then re attaching the laminate PU top on the top of the guitar after it was installed. I figure i could have a second access panel in the back that would let me get to it. However I think it would be a pain to build a chamber though that would allow me to mount it and not crowd the wires etc.

Or maybe i should route out a regular neck PU cavity and then build a plate out of something like laminate or maybe light steel that would have an opening that matches the shape of the top piece?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially for builders that have done pickguard-less builds before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130312_112225.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	170966  

hick 67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

65 views and no takers.... I'll give it a go. One option that I think could create a really clean finished look-- would be inserting the pickup from the neck pocket. hear me out. If you use a key hole bit to widen the space for the bottom bobbin and remove the back of the neck pocket, the pickup could be slid in and then the neck could be mounted and as long as the pickup is close to the neck (or touching) there would be no gap to be seen.

Just a thought.
clsatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsatt View Post
.....Or maybe i should route out a regular neck PU cavity and then build a plate out of something like laminate or maybe light steel that would have an opening that matches the shape of the top piece?
Personally I'd go with this but I am a bit conservative.
I_build_my_own is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 12th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Like a pickup ring... I thought about that but where's the drama!

A

Or

B

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

clsatt, i like your option A. I found a sheet of BWB binding that i could salvage a piece from. I have plenty of drama in my life already.
How do i cut the inside slot for the blade? I do not think my bearing bevel-cut router bit could do something that small.
hick 67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

working the ring

Hi, perhaps drill short on the ends, Dremel with rotary cutter, and file to fit?

I'm sure there ARE better ways tho.....

Mike
Rednecktele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I have fitted pickups with no pickguard from the back but you are too close to the neck for that.

Screw into the wood, like a body mount tele neck pickup but that needs a wider rout and shows the screws. Watch the screw length doesn't come out the back of the guitar, measure twice, screws can easily be cut.

I like the mount ring. Cool!

Old March 13th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

For the interior of the ring I would do what rednecktele is suggesting. Give yourself two lines on the back of your material for lining up your centers and then get a good tracing of the top bobbin.

As for the bevel. Make a template in the shape you want your ring to be. Then you'll have plenty of material for the bearing to ride on.

Good luck! Can't wait to see it when you finish it.