Out of Curiosity Because Inquiring Minds Want to Know - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 10th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Out of Curiosity Because Inquiring Minds Want to Know

I been hanging around here and trying to learn how to build a Tele and have found a wealth of info indeed. But, what I can't seem to figure out here is who and what type of people mostly hang out here. Luthiers and craftsmen who also dabble in and/or play guitar? Or, is it mostly guitar players and musicians who want to build guitars and instruments? Or a combination of the two?

I haven't been able to come to any conclusions by reading these threads but my guess would be it's mostly craftsmen as opposed to professional musicians but if I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time!

Old March 10th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I'm definitely a hobbiest in my building and playing. My education is in electronics, and I repair industrial machinery for a living.

Old March 10th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I am outing myself as a hobbiest. Background in metal working and electronics though I make my living from something totally different. I think you will find a huge variety of people here. Sometimes it even feels it is including folks from the big companies who do "R&D crowd sourcing" for their next product line.
I_build_my_own is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 10th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I taught industrial arts for 30 years and started building instruments at that time too. I have played guitar for 43 years, but only played in a band- like setting for about 7 of those. This is my hobby. I don't want to ruin it by making it a career.

The Finger Lakes Institute for Incomplete Projects
guitarbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Pro musician for 30 years. Semi-Pro for another 10.
I'm still in the game.
I tinker with inexpensive instruments.
bingy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarbuilder View Post
...I don't want to ruin it by making it a career...
I think that's a pretty common sentiment. This is the wrong part of TDPRI to find pro musicians - I'm guessing in this part of TDPRI we spend a lot more time making guitars than playing them.
Mojotron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojotron View Post
I think that's a pretty common sentiment. This is the wrong part of TDPRI to find pro musicians - I'm guessing in this part of TDPRI we spend a lot more time making guitars than playing them.
I can confirm the part: ....we spend a lot more time making guitars than playing them
I_build_my_own is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I think you can find people on this forum that are at or near the pinnacle in each category. I have no idea if anyone here is at the top of both heaps.

I can build better than I can play, and I've only built a hand full, so I'm a hobbiest on both levels.

I'm a Tile Setter by trade, and Stone Fabricator for a collective 38 years. At that I have few equals (at least in N. California) if I don't say so myself (and I do).

Can't be good at everything.
4string is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarbuilder View Post
I taught industrial arts for 30 years and started building instruments at that time too. I have played guitar for 43 years, but only played in a band- like setting for about 7 of those. This is my hobby. I don't want to ruin it by making it a career.
Every hobby I have ever had ended up in some form or another a part of my career path. I have played and performed professionally for approx 35 years and I too am still very active in the game. I don't play in the honky tons till 1:30 or 2:00 am anymore and I don't work for clock watchers either. I perform mostly jazz in a dinner club setting in the early evening hours at this point. Still love some good ole Allman Bros etc but I ain't gonna kill myself for peanuts in a honky Tonk anymore. Also do a lot of recording and session work.

My main business is network administration which used to be a hobby as well and now I absolutely hate it.

Wanted to get into luthiery years ago but could never afford the tools (not sure I can now) but I finally bit the bullet and outfitted a woodworking shop

Old March 10th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojotron View Post
That was my general assumption but wasn't certain and it stands to reason the builders, craftsmen and luthiers would be in the DIY section for sure. I was just curious is all no foul nor harm!

Old March 10th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I am a hobbyist at both. I build because I like to make things. I play music now and have been playing in some way shape or form for the last 20 years, never professionally. I think I st.arted building because I wanted my two best friends ("making stuff" and "music") to get married and have babies.

"She ain't revved till the rods are thrown..."
jscout17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I dabble in everything. I'm a dabblist.

Old March 10th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
We must be brothers!

Old March 10th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
+1!

I was a musician first, but after spending three fun years in a college jam band, I managed to get public gigging out of my system. For ten years after college I was a custom picture framer that specialized in hand made mouldings, hand wrapped linen mats, gold leaf, the whole nine...

I still call myself a musician, but its totally a hobby now. Just like my guitar making. An enjoyable way to spend time. I love it!
sjohnbruton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I worked on forklifts, electric mostly and self-guided vehicles and production robots for 25 yrs. Except for the robots and some of the people, I hated everything but the challenge. My kids had to eat...................I went from wooden boats to this...............cheaper. Had to do something for sanity's sake and this became a true love

My Facebook
crazydave911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 11:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

As a retired engineer, I lurk in here, because I'm a wannabe. I wannabe (and trying very hard) a good guitarist and a probably wannabe amp/pedal/guitar builder. I'll probably start with a DIY pedal kit to get my feet wet.

I'm learning a heck of a lot, lurking in here among these very talented people.
LS-2>Fender Volume>Rogue Delay>FRV-1>Jamman
Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm a T-shirt printer and graphic 'arteest'. I like building/making things and I make stuff I'm interested in. Guns, cars, leather stuff and for the last 12 years or so, guitars.
Music, like guitar building, started as a hobby and has grown into a semi-pro thing.
Maricopa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I am an Animal Scientist, or at least, that is what my degrees say.

Old March 11th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I've been in medical device quality for 26 years. An OCD occupational match made in Heaven if there ever was one.............. One grandfather was a toolmaker from Germany and the other a very gifted stone mason specializing in fieldstone and dry wall. It all makes sense now............ Both were also musical.

Rob
Barncaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barncaster View Post
I've been in medical device quality for 26 years. An OCD occupational match made in Heaven if there ever was one.............. One grandfather was a toolmaker from Germany and the other a very gifted stone mason specializing in fieldstone and dry wall. It all makes sense now............ Both were also musical.

Rob
I can relate to the OCD thing Barncaster and a wise man once told me to "Take Everything in Life in Moderation, sometimes including Moderation itself" and it seems the only part of that advise I have ever been able to follow is the "Including Moderation Itself" portion.

Very cool to see the different backgrounds of everyone who has chosen to reply to this thread and it's a refreshing forum of people dedicated to the same thing and the willingness for those with more experience to graciously give of their time and expertise helps to restore a bit of my faith in humanity. Which is something I have struggled with for years.

I have a free day or two here to get humping on organizing my woodshop etc that is unless the dreaded phone call comes in from one of my clients with a network down or what have you. I shouldn't complain as networks and infrastructure have been very good to me and it's also been fairly lucrative. My degree is in programming however I somehow settled into infrastructure go figure. I have, however, remained a guitarist throughout it all and although I no longer tour nor do I keep the later hours if I can help it, my guitar playing still comes first and always has. I practice everyday religiously and am a fairly advanced guitarist.