Well, despite all the winder-threads, I decided to share mine anyway! I've tried various solutions regarding the counting and I actually ended up with a simple reed switch and a counter - I haven't measured the speed yet, but I can see that it spins very fast - probably faster than I dare at the moment, so no problem! Now for some pictures - sorry for the shaky cam, I only have my phone!
I threaded the engine-shaft as well as the bobbin-holder and installed a fix-screw as well
And here's the beauty:
Speed control and a switch with the options "clockwise", "off" and "anti-clockwise".
Installed a DC-out, so the adapter doesn't have to be attached to the winder when I'm transporting it
And here's the bobbinholder and reed-switch
I'm very happy with the results. I've previously made 4 pickups on a sewing machine, which works allright, but this is gonna be something else! Not long before I'm gonna start my build thread now!
Thank you! It's a Schaller 477. Very nice I think. It has adjustable saddles both op/down and sideways! I don't think I've broken a single string on this guitar yet, and I finished it in august, so that's more than half a year of playing without breaking a single string! :)
First set of bobbins ready for winding. It took ages to make one that I was satisfied with - how do you make your bobbins? Any tips?
I made mine of Stewmacs vulcanized fiber-material, which I think is very nice and have a sweet vintage-look. The magnets is AlNiCo 500 4mmx19mm. Here's some pictures of the process...
Found a little saw - think it's called a plywood-saw:
This one got a little too wide, so it was a no go
These ones got better
Puttin eyelets in - got one of them filed down too much - whoops
So in with another one, and ready for installing magnets and getting it wired up!
I also found 2 old ****ty pickups that I think I'm going to rewind
Will do - I actually just finished the pickup. First attempt, no problems except that it actually flew off because I didn't put enough double sided tape on it, LOL!!! Despite a little fly (just tipped of directly on the table), the wire didn't break. Maybe it's because I held the wire through some paper, as I've seen others do in here. I taped it properly after this, and there was no problems. The wire seems a little more loose than the previus I've made on the sewing machine. I can't tell yet whether that's good or bad. All packed evenly though! Some pictures:
Magnets installed with a little super glue
Put some tape over the magnets so I don't break the wire when I try to install the pickup
Ready to rumle - just need to press the reset-button :-)
Round the eyelet!
Adjusting the wire-guide
Done! Wow, this spins so much faster than a sewing machine. I'm only at about 30% of top speed and it's plenty for me, for now!
Looks nice, although a little loose! I'm going to make a little setup to test it someday, to see how it sounds!
It ended up with 7,3kOhm, 9040 winds which cost me 32g of 0,06mm wire. The spool I have now has 1118g left - LOL!!! That's a lot of pickups!
The words Fender®, Telecaster®, Stratocaster® and the associated headstock designs are registered trademarks of the Fender Musical Instruments Corporation. The TDPRI is an independent, member supported forum and is not affiliated with Fender Musical Instruments Corporation.