Need some ideas for homemade tuners(school project)) - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 31st, 2013, 07:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Need some ideas for homemade tuners(school project))

Hi Guys,

My 12-String builds are are hold for the moment while I am helping my son with his school project. I am helping him build a stand up bass. Part of the "rules" are that the only "pre-made" pieces he can use are strings. Everything else must be made for scrap. I know someone in here has probably done something similar or might just have a good idea.

Got everything basically done, but not real happy with the tuning pegs.

Right now we just use oak wood dowels and tapered holes so the friction holds them in place.

Just wondering if anyone has a better approach or maybe suggestions on something that would be easier to use?

This is what we have so far..

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

rick

rscalzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2013, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

That is just too cool! ................as I understand it, the pegs need to be tapered as well to make them effective (and easier to tune). Just don't use ebony, it warps too much. A fruitwood like apple, cherry or pearwood is a better choice. As for a different kind of tuner...............here are three different solutions. They are mostly used with headless instruments, but some could be adapted. LINK, LINK, and LINK

My Facebook
crazydave911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2013, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Would tuners from a guitar that has been broken or thrown away be considered "scrap"? You wouldn't even need the whole tuner per se, just the gears and worms. You could fabricate baseplates if you've got metal forming skills or machining skills. Or if they're "strip" tuners like a lot of cheap guitars, you can cut the strip to make individual keys.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 31st, 2013, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

That's a really cool project! I don't really have any advice on making tuners, though.

Old January 31st, 2013, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Home centers sell thumbscrews and t nuts. I bet you could do something with that.

Guild of Archaic Guitarmakers
guitarbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2013, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks for the links crazydave..... I did taper the pegs as well but unless you get it just right its real hard to move when you want to make fine adjustments. Not real sure we'd want to mess with the tail piece at this point to tune from that end.

OpenG.... unfortunately can't use anything that came from a guitar/bass.

guitarbuilder.... I was also thinking along those lines... was hoping someone had done something like it to help me along. Knowing me, I'll end up at HD and come home with a bag full of bolts and nuts that won't work :-(

Appreciate the input guys!

Old January 31st, 2013, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Turnbuckles below the bridge?

Old January 31st, 2013, 12:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzi View Post
Not real sure we'd want to mess with the tail piece at this point to tune from that end.
As I said, some of those ideas are adaptable from the head-end................and have been in use a longgggg time

LINK under Portugal

Oh BTW, if you really want some ideas............under Google Images, google this "homemade tuning machines"..............Wow

My Facebook

Old January 31st, 2013, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Ah, gotcha Dave. Guess I was hoping I would not have to too much modification to headstock at this point. But, I will explore all options before moving forward.

Old January 31st, 2013, 01:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hi rscalzi!
I planned to build a lapsteel guitar soon and found this on Youtube. I don't know if it is anything that you can use but I thaught it was a great idea to make economy-versions of tuningmachines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cyPID1FinM

I'd like to hear how that bass sound. Looks cool!!

Old January 31st, 2013, 02:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I worked with an engineer from Mexico a few years ago, and he hand carved guitar and bass guitar tuner pegs from hardwoods, just like you'd see on an upright cello or bass. He did use rosewood or ebony for the strength.

Old January 31st, 2013, 11:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzi View Post
Ah, gotcha Dave. Guess I was hoping I would not have to too much modification to headstock at this point. But, I will explore all options before moving forward.
Seems like tapering the dowels to match the taper in the headstock holes would cause the least disruption in your headstock. Might need to saw some slits so you could fit in some "paddles" to give some leverage.
R. Stratenstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2013, 11:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I'd add a crosspiece at the top of the headstock, drill four holes, get a few eyebolts, washers, and wingnuts. Thread the eyebolts through from the string side, place a washer above the new crosspiece, and put on a wingnut for each string. That would draw them up tightly- crude, cheap, and effective.

Old February 1st, 2013, 12:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Rice View Post
I'd add a crosspiece at the top of the headstock, drill four holes, get a few eyebolts, washers, and wingnuts. Thread the eyebolts through from the string side, place a washer above the new crosspiece, and put on a wingnut for each string. That would draw them up tightly- crude, cheap, and effective.
And there ya' go

My Facebook

Old February 1st, 2013, 01:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

as crude and brutal as it gets and it aint pretty. the tuning peg of a 6th grade, one afternoon" school project. a one string cookie jar banjo. you can only guess how annoying the sound is after 5 minutes. please note the almost quartersawn but square neck

Anyway, this might get you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 string.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	164310  
I_build_my_own is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2013, 01:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

If the existing tuning pegs hold tension but you need a fine tuning system, you could use a small piece of steel tubing and a small thumb screw. Drill and tap the thumb screw perpendicular to the tube, and then cut a long oval opening underneath the screw. Slip it over the string between the tail piece and bridge, and tighten to tune...
moody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2013, 05:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If you can fit the tuning pegs (square section) into an electric drill chuck in a mount, you can taper quite easily by drawing the taper on one side and using two small flat pieces of wood with some 80 grit glued or stapled to it. spin it up while holding the 80 grit on each side.

Once you have some pegs made wrap sandpaper around the pegs and reshape the peg holes to suit each individual peg. A paddle on the end for ease of tuning and Bob's your uncle!

Old February 1st, 2013, 05:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

pegs in the head for rough tuning. machine screws in the tailpiece for fine tuning. violins sometimes have a similar system. I don't know how the screws function, but they don't mess up the tail piece much from what i've seen
Ragtime Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2013, 05:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtime Dan View Post
pegs in the head for rough tuning. machine screws in the tailpiece for fine tuning. violins sometimes have a similar system. I don't know how the screws function, but they don't mess up the tail piece much from what i've seen
The screws press against hinged fingers to which the strings (individually) are attached. As the screw moves one end of the finger, it swivels on a fulcrum point and moves the opposite end slightly, increasing or decreasing tension on the string.

Old February 1st, 2013, 08:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Rice View Post
The screws press against hinged fingers to which the strings (individually) are attached. As the screw moves one end of the finger, it swivels on a fulcrum point and moves the opposite end slightly, increasing or decreasing tension on the string.
Pictures LINK. These can tune quite well...............wish I'd thought of it............

My Facebook