Scraptasticaster I: The Rev - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 26th, 2013, 05:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Poster Extraordinaire

Scraptasticaster I: The Rev

So I have this blank made of 8 sticks of Indonesian mahogany that I got for free as firewood, and I have some time to practice a few things before the 2013 Build Challenge. I'm going to use this first blank as a guinea pig for a few things I want to try later.

I made a template based on the tele outline, and made sure it would fit on the blank before I glued the pieces together. Then I glued the pieces together.

Then, when I laid the template on the glued-up blank, I realized that I had just laid the template on it haphazardly before, and when I laid it on with the glue joints parallel to the center line, I got this:

Doh.

So my options were to cut the lank at an oblique angle to the wood grain and glue joints, which I was loathe to do for practical and OCD reasons, or tweak the outline.

I tried the latter--a couple of times--by just drawing on the top of the blank in a few different colors, but it kept looking awkward, so I had to sort of start over.

I've been obsessing a bit over Reverend Guitars lately, though I've never played one or even seen one on real life. I just think they look really cool, and I like how they integrate classic Fender and Gibson and other design elements with their own original vibe.

So I went to their website, and I saw this:

And I got that feeling that I used to get when I tried to climb the flagpole at school in 5th grade--if you know what I mean.

I knew what I had to do.

First I had to go back here, and do some homework.

Next, I downloaded an app that Dave recommended to somebody a couple weeks ago--the name of which I've already forgotten --but which allows you to scale pictures to actual size if you know the distance between any two points. Hoping Dave'll be along soon and remind us what that's called; I did this part of the job at work....

I knew the scale length of the guitar, and from that was able to get the distance from the end of the fretboard to the bridge. I could then calibrate the picture to full size, but couldn't print it without a big obstructive watermark unless I paid 22 bucks. So instead, I imported the pic into MS Word, drew a line that was half the distance between the end of the FB and the bridge, and scaled the pic to that. Then I printed it at %200, and I had my template. Easy peasy!

Looks real, doesn't it? I don't know if I got it exactly the right size; could be off a few mm, but I don't care, because it fits perfectly on my blank.

Taped it down and traced around it with green, the only color I hadn't tried yet.

Et voila!

Hope I don't get confused about what color to follow when I cut it out....

Climbing Mt. Stupid since 1962
Jupiter is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

The program is called "Bigprint" LINK. Well worth the $22 if your do this even more than once. You can print the template directly from the program on standard printer paper. With overlap and alignment grids as a standard option, you just tape your pages and Bam, template. It's also very handy to make headstock templates, and they only use one sheet of paper

My Facebook
crazydave911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave911 View Post
The program is called "Bigprint" LINK. Well worth the $22 if your do this even more than once. You can print the template directly from the program on standard printer paper. With overlap and alignment grids as a standard option, you just tape your pages and Bam, template. It's also very handy to make headstock templates, and they only use one sheet of paper
Yep, I ALMOST paid. But I got a boss copy machine/laser printer in the office at work, and once I figured out the trick, it only took a couple extra minutes. I wouldn't be able to do it at home.

Man, Day 3 of reviewing Bucko's sparkle thread, and I still got 100 pages to go. That's 4,000 posts.... Just got to the part about the dangers of 2-pack urethane. I'm planning to use rattlecan 2-pack (where you puncture a membrane between 2 reservoirs and then you have to use up the whole can in the next few hours); but now I'm wondering if I can do it safely....

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 27th, 2013, 05:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Poster Extraordinaire

Cut out the blank today. In fact, I worked on 3 different builds today; that's how sick I am.

It was snowing.

This wood is quite hard. I really had to push the saw--hmm, maybe I need a new blade. My poor cheapo Meister Kobo jigsaw was ready for a hot tub and a massage afterwards. It took over 30 minutes to cut; I shudder to think what the REAL hard blank is gonna be like....

Anyway, I found the green lines.

Gotta set up my drill press pretty soon.

Old January 27th, 2013, 05:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Love the shape, this is gonna be great!

I'm full of dust and guitars - Syd Barrett
kwerk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2013, 06:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks Phil! This build idea just came outta nowhere; it wasn't the next guitar I was planning (2013 build challenge), or the one after that (LPJr DC), or even the one after that (which is supposed to be a JBD). I don't know what's happening to me.

Reading my last post, though, one thing is clear: I've been reading The Emeraldcaster Project too much today; sounds like I'm channeling Buckocaster.

Old January 27th, 2013, 07:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

It's a beautiful guitar - subscribing - I want to see whether I have the nerve to do a silver sparkle so will be watching how you do first!!
DrBanana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Cut out the blank today. In fact, I worked on 3 different builds today; that's how sick I am.

It was snowing.

This wood is quite hard. I really had to push the saw--hmm, maybe I need a new blade. My poor cheapo Meister Kobo jigsaw was ready for a hot tub and a massage afterwards. It took over 30 minutes to cut; I shudder to think what the REAL hard blank is gonna be like....

Anyway, I found the green lines.

Gotta set up my drill press pretty soon.
Subscribed, this is going to be a very interesting thread.
One day I am going to buy one saw like this, it is very convenient to have a saw that cut the wood with out assistance, mine is so lazy, I have to hold it all the time when I cut.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch,(or a Telecaster), you must first create the universe." -- Carl Sagan
nickhofen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

LOL Nick! Ya need a cnc- it cuts wood while you drink coffee and eat feta.

Old January 27th, 2013, 08:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Rice View Post

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch,(or a Telecaster), you must first create the universe." -- Carl Sagan

Old January 27th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Friend of Leo's

I like where you went with the fix. On the original problem you could have sawed out that short piece of wood on the table saw cutting through the old glue joints. Then put a longer piece in and reglued the blank like you planed on gluing it in two steps in the first place. :-)

Old January 27th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Poster Extraordinaire

Dr. B, I'm hitting the Buckocaster thread really hard these days, and trying to work out my method/materials for the sparkle. My plan is to do just the top, and either let the sides and back show the wood or paint those parts black. I figure one flat surface oughta be a fairly simple way to get started in the magical world of sparkle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhofen View Post
Subscribed, this is going to be a very interesting thread.
One day I am going to buy one saw like this, it is very convenient to have a saw that cut the wood with out assistance, mine is so lazy, I have to hold it all the time when I cut.
It's just taking a breather in that pic--nothing to do with my tingling, cramping fingers. I really felt bad for her; she was struggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Rice View Post
I'd LOVE a CNC. I can think of a million crazy things I'd do with one. Absolutely no place to put it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodatpat View Post
I like where you went with the fix. On the original problem you could have sawed out that short piece of wood on the table saw cutting through the old glue joints. Then put a longer piece in and reglued the blank like you planed on gluing it in two steps in the first place. :-)
No table saw and no band saw either. I did think about just gluing a chunk on there somehow, but didn't see how it could look good. I actually have a blank of hinoki cypress that needs to be sawn down the glue line and re-joined properly. My circular saw is so cheap and old that I can't even find a replacement blade for it (I don't think it was designed to last longer than the blade that came with it), but maybe this Spring I'll get a new saw. With that and a straight edge for a fence, I guess I could've pulled it off--but then we wouldn't be here....

Old January 27th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:

I'd LOVE a CNC. I can think of a million crazy things I'd do with one. Absolutely no place to put it, though.

We can work as a team Jupiter, Buy it and send it to me.

Old January 27th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhofen View Post
We can work as a team Jupiter, Buy it and send it to me.
I don't think I could afford to SEND it from Japan to Greece, much less BUY it first.

Old January 27th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

If you can get Bosch blades over there...................get the ones for clean hardwood and/or metal. They cut slower overall, but much easier, your saw and wrists will thank you

My Facebook
crazydave911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave911 View Post
If you can get Bosch blades over there...................get the ones for clean hardwood and/or metal. They cut slower overall, but much easier, your saw and wrists will thank you
Thanks, I'll look for 'em.

Old January 27th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Bosch jigsaw blades

Quote:
Thanks, I'll look for 'em.
If you can't get them, PM me and I'll post some up to you. I use them too, as my tiny bandsaw is so feeble I can only use it on stuff under 20mm.
Crafty Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Fox View Post
If you can't get them, PM me and I'll post some up to you. I use them too, as my tiny bandsaw is so feeble I can only use it on stuff under 20mm.
Thanks mate! I'm pretty sure I can track 'em down here. Might even have one in my junk box. Never had any call to jigsaw metal yet, but this wood is as close as I'm likely to get to it....

Old January 28th, 2013, 01:16 AM   #19 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Friend of Leo's

I feel really bad for you, knowing what's to come with the sanding.. Gosh. I'm so sorry in advance. it is absolutely no fun.

Old January 28th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I feel really bad for you, knowing what's to come with the sanding.. Gosh. I'm so sorry in advance. it is absolutely no fun.
Yep, I know.... But the only way past it is through it.