Where to get started? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 20th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Where to get started?

First step is completed, I've got the go ahead from my lovely wife to attempt a tele build. Not sure what the next step is. Is there a book or two I should be reading, tools that are absolute musts? I'm hoping there's a thread/website/book someone could point me to that could get me on my way.

Thanks.

JHall55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

May I suggest that you read through the TDPRI Challenge build threads? Researching the 2012 challenge threads got me where you wanna go building a Tele for the first time. Im a woodworker by trade and already had the tools/shop/knowledge so that put me ahead of the game but had never built before. Everything else your asking (tools, info,etc.) is here. You just gotta dig like the rest of us. If you hit a snag someone will point you in the right direction. Don't put the cart before the horse. Study the build threads! Get a basic understanding of each step and realize what is important and what is not. Makes no difference what color you want it just that the neck lines up with the bridge , the nut is right and the distance from point a to point b is correct. A lot of guys start out building templates. Best introduction I found. Others say you don't need 'em. Go study and decide. You already got your steps out of order...........Wife is step 17 around here.

Best whishes,

Jeff

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

as far as books go, Melvyn Hiscock's "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" is a great book. it covers everything from building up a guitar from parts, to full home made bolt-on, set-neck and neck-through instruments. he also does a pretty good job covering electronics and finishing, but for those tasks i'd recommend...

Dan Erlewine's "Guitar Player Repair Guide". he goes into great detail on wiring up, applying different types of finishes to different types of wood and fret jobs. in fact, it's a great book to own even if you never end up building your own guitar: the repair info alone makes it worth having for any guitarist (my copy is almost 20 years old now, and i still use it!) the newest edition has even more info than my old one, and comes with a bonus DVD.

there are plenty of other great books out there, but these two should get you through just about every part of a build. oh, and the StewMac website has tons of free info too!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHall55 View Post
First step is completed, I've got the go ahead from my lovely wife to attempt a tele build.
Second step would be to grow a pair.

Just kidding... it's always best to stay on the good side.

10 years ago I reno'd the wife's kitchen. Gave her everything she wanted in it. I've been able to do whatever the hell I want in the shop ever since.

jkingma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat MacKinnon View Post
as far as books go, Melvyn Hiscock's "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" is a great book. it covers everything from building up a guitar from parts, to full home made bolt-on, set-neck and neck-through instruments. he also does a pretty good job covering electronics and finishing, but for those tasks i'd recommend...

Dan Erlewine's "Guitar Player Repair Guide". he goes into great detail on wiring up, applying different types of finishes to different types of wood and fret jobs. in fact, it's a great book to own even if you never end up building your own guitar: the repair info alone makes it worth having for any guitarist (my copy is almost 20 years old now, and i still use it!) the newest edition has even more info than my old one, and comes with a bonus DVD.

there are plenty of other great books out there, but these two should get you through just about every part of a build. oh, and the StewMac website has tons of free info too!
Dan Erlewine's book is a great start. He has another, something like "How to make your electric guitar sound great" Both have in-depth procedures for set ups which is something every guitar player should learn (IMO)

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

this thread is where I got started.....

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home...ar-hummmm.html

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen082 View Post

I like your headstock logo Allan!
And that is an amazing post by Ron

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

You already completed the second step, which is getting here. I suppose the third step is figuring out how far you want to go the first time. For me, it was buying parts and putting them together. For you, it might be making and finishing a body. That's up to you.

I'd say your next step is to read a bunch of threads here that look like stuff you want to do. That's how I did it, and how a lot of guys here did it. All the iformation you need is here. You just have to go grab it.
raito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I never bought a book, I just jumped in and found all I needed to know on internet forums.

If you have not done so already, read all four years of build challenge threads. You will find many ways to skin a Telecasters as well as mistakes that can happen and how to overcome those possible booboo's.
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tdpri-bui...enge-archives/
Mike Simpson is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 12:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Simpson
I never bought a book, I just jumped in and found all I needed to know on internet forums.

If you have not done so already, read all four years of build challenge threads. You will find many ways to skin a Telecasters as well as mistakes that can happen and how to overcome those possible booboo's.
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tdpri-bui...enge-archives/
Yes, what he said.

Pay very special attention to the booboo parts. Seriously.

Rob
Barncaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 12:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks guys. I have read many of the build threads. At this point, I don't think I'm up for building the neck/fretboard but would like to build the body. Hoping for a lake placid blue tele with a rosewood fretboard.

Thanks again for the input.
JHall55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 01:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Ya, I think those books are nowhere as useful as threads on tdpri. I think an excellent next step would be to read a number of 2011 and 2012 challenge threads and develop a good understanding of the process and challenges. Keep an open mind, there are some ways of doing this stuff that are most practical for you - there is no one way to make a guitar, nor should there be - but you may have to make 2 or 3 guitars before you get some techniques right. Don't be suprised if your first build from scratch becomes your favorite guitar.
Mojotron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen082 View Post

Yea buddy, got that one saved in my favorites. !!!