Tapped Esquire wiring combo I can't seem to find or solve - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 9th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Tapped Esquire wiring combo I can't seem to find or solve

I have built an Esquire with a tapped pickup (Zhang Paul Bunyan / Bell Tone) and I have wired it for now with the Seymour Duncan "Signature Esquire" scheme: http://cdn.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/su...gn_esquire.pdf

^^ This is essentially an Esquire with the Eldred mod, but with the tone pot in circuit. Even though I've tried several cap values, the Eldred mod really doesn't do anything for me, it just sounds like the simple filter that it is. I find the Arlo circuit has much more of a notable wah character.

What I would really like to do is the following:

Pos 1 - Full pickup with vol and tone
Pos 2 - Tapped pickup with vol and tone
Pos 3 - Tapped pickup with vol and arlo cocked wah, ideally with tone out of circuit

I have not been able to find a diagram that provides this or gets me close enough to make modifications, nor have I been able to come up with anything on my own

I know I could put the Arlo circuit on a push-pull and be done with it (I've done in a 2 pickup / 4 way switch Tele), but I would prefer to keep it Esquire-simple and not add another switch. If I am asking too much from a 3 way switch, this is the route I will take.

If anyone could refer me to a diagram or whip something up, I would be grateful

Meowy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

What does "tapped" mean? I used one of the Seymour Duncan wiring schemes for the Esquire I just built and didn't like how it sounded. I found a different scheme and am very happy with the results. Since I'm not familiar with a tapped pickup I don't know if my diagram would help or not.

But I think mine is:

1. Direct
2. Volume
3. Volume+tone
Jerry C. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

A tapped pickup is one with 2 hot leads. One is the full pickup output, the other (the tap) is lower output
Meowy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 9th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry C. View Post
What does "tapped" mean?
Seems to be the newest trend/fad coming from across the "Big Pond" and seem to be tied to another..........kill switches. It took me a long time to see any advantage to a kill switch until I saw a momentary switch used as a darn good fake trem
What a split single-coil gets you, I'm clueless still, but have heard a few on youtube (not impressed.............yet).

If you want to use the Eldred mod use this, just wire position 1 as your tap

Or, if you can live without the Eldred mod and don't want to use the 4-way switch, use this

My Facebook
crazydave911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Tapped single coil pickups have been around for a long time. Seymour Duncan has made a Hot Tele tapped bridge pickup for years. I had one over ten years ago. The two sounds available from that pickup are quite different, indeed. The full pickup is very beefy and not particularly vintage tone, whereas the tap yields a vintage style tone. With a standard, five-way Strat switch, you can get five, distinct sounds out of a Tele with such a bridge pickup.

I use a tapped bridge pickup on my two-pickup Tele (five-way switch), and a bridge pickup with three taps on my Esquire-ed Tele (three-way switch). The pickups are Klein pickups.
JCollins is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Guess I just don't get out much

My Facebook
crazydave911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I need help!!! I did the Esquire alternate SD wiring for a tapped Broadcaster pickup. In position 1 I have vol/tone and the full coil (13K). In position 2 I have vol/tone with the tapped coil (9.6K). In the third position (neck) I have no sound at all. How do I get sound out of the third position? Do I need to add a capacitor? Any help would be great.
baiff is offline   Reply With Quote