The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 8th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Anyone here a Solidworks guy?

I have my fretboard radius jig that I'm trying to get done. I've got a friend at work whose dad has a cnc router, but he needs my design in dxf format, I believe. I have a Sketchup model done of what I need, but have no way of converting it to the right file type for him. Would anyone be interested in taking a look at it for me? I'd be willing to pay.... with cash.... or wood.... or guitar parts

Thanks!

Old January 8th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Roger,

Have you seen this? DXF exporter

Robert
GunsOfBrixton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Sorry, Robert, that doesn't really help me lol. I really have no idea what I'm doing with it. All I know how to do is draw shapes in Sketchup, so anything other than that and I'm lost

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 8th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Tele-Meister

What is Sketchup? Is it an autodesk software? Is you drawing to scale? What files types can you export? I have access to multiple cad programs, but if your drawing isn't to scale, it won't do much good to convert it. If you can give me more details, I might be able to help you.

Pfenning
Onebean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Thanks, Pfenning. Yes, my drawings are to scale. I can export as a 3d model in a .dae or .kmz file. Sketchup is a freeware autodesk program by Google. I've got 2 files-- 1 showing the jig put together, and 1 showing each of the different parts. There's also 1 more component that I need modeled, but I couldn't get it done. We can talk more about it if you're interested.

Old January 8th, 2013, 06:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

sketchup is that free google program.. not really compatable with solidworks or inventor etc, im afraid you'll probably need to dimension it up and redraw it in a proper bit of software..
personally, ive only ever used dxf files for 2d profiling.. so if its a 2d file you want, it shouldnt be too difficult.
yipman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Poster Extraordinaire

Send me the drawing and I'll see if I can open it in Rhino and send it back as a DXF.
guitarbuilder is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2013, 06:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm pretty sure I can do it, if you can't, Marty. I can at least get an obj from it. I haven't had a lot of luck with .dxf exports. I can open .dae files.

I'm full of dust and guitars - Syd Barrett
kwerk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Poster Extraordinaire

Rhino can open an SKP file which it says is sketchup... does that one sound familiar?

Old January 8th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by yipman View Post
sketchup is that free google program.. not really compatable with solidworks or inventor etc, im afraid you'll probably need to dimension it up and redraw it in a proper bit of software..
personally, ive only ever used dxf files for 2d profiling.. so if its a 2d file you want, it shouldnt be too difficult.
I just need something that can be used to help program a cnc router for cutting basic shapes out of 1/2" plywood.

And BTW, I'm a wing chun guy, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarbuilder View Post
Send me the drawing and I'll see if I can open it in Rhino and send it back as a DXF.
Thanks, Marty. I think I've got a copy here at work. If not, I'll send it from home tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwerk View Post
I'm pretty sure I can do it, if you can't, Marty. I can at least get an obj from it. I haven't had a lot of luck with .dxf exports. I can open .dae files.
Thanks, Phil. Let's see what Marty can do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarbuilder View Post
Rhino can open an SKP file which it says is sketchup... does that one sound familiar?
Yep

Old January 8th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Poster Extraordinaire

It opened but with nothing there...next idea?

Old January 8th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'll try to re-send it from home tonight. Thanks for trying!