I had started a thread about the best way to fix the neck pocket
of a guitar a friend had given me to work on for him. I ended up falling in love with it, like I always fall in love with trash.
So I bought the guitar for $60 off my buddy (I made the mistake of telling him how much I liked it before I offered to buy it off him) and have since spent way too much time stripping the 1/4" thick poly finish off.
I still have rough sanding on the sides and finishing sanding all over, but it turns out it is a 3 -piece body (the pieces don't even fit perfect at the front and rear and there are/were small gaps). Like I said, everywhere I look I see flaws and still it sounded good so to hell with it. Body looks like Alder to me.
Top view stripped, more sanding to go:
Because my right rotator cuff is tore right now (ouch) I thought I would make the body a little more ergonomic and hurt my arm worse in the process of doing so in a mega-rasp session. I put some angles all over the place and did a fairly generous arm contour and tummy cut, as well as a deeper cut where the body rests on your knee (lacking a technical term for that at the moment).
So yeah, it is no longer a tele to you purists....so what.
A photo of the partial wreckage -- polyurethane finishes are the devil. There were 3 or 4 different layers that all had different melting points. I bet there was 8 oz. of poly on this piece of crap. They make it look so easy to remove on the internet, but my heat gun probably ran up the electric bill $10 or so and it took an extra 3 sheets of sandpaper to get rid of all the gouges.
I am going to do some kind of relic nonsense on this, so yeah, a relic'd contoured tele, that was originally a sweatshop debacle cheapie -- triple sacrilege. Deal with it. lol