Wood score in preparation for my first commission - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 8th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Wood score in preparation for my first commission

Well, I got my first commission today. It's not the young blues guy, though. The owner of our local bike shop is a tele player and a friend of mine. I took my barncaster by for him to see, and he decided that he wants one. My wife really needs a nicer bike and her birthday is coming up on New Year's Eve, so he offered to trade me a guitar for a REALLY nice bike for her . I'm pumped and really nervous all at the same time because now people have expectations

So on to the wood score. He decided that he wanted an extremely figured neck, so I headed to the wood sale at the shutter mill today and picked this up. It's 2 1/2" wide x 1 1/2" thick x 10' long, and I paid $10 for it.

This should look very sweet under some tung oil.

Last edited by RogerC; December 8th, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
RogerC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Lovely, look forward to seeing it.

Old December 8th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Nice! I will be following along.
Glen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 8th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats on the commission Roger , nice looking hunk of maple ya got there .

I don't always play guitars , but when I do , I prefer tele's , stay twangy my friends

Last edited by adirondak5; December 8th, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
adirondak5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Good job on the horse trading, and exceptional score on the wood. That piece would run pretty close to $100 by me.

Old December 8th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemingway View Post
Lovely, look forward to seeing it.
Thanks, hemingway

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen smith View Post
Nice! I will be following along.
Thanks, glen

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondak5 View Post
Congrats on the commissionRoger , nice looking hunk of maple ya got there .
Thank you, Herb. I'm pretty excited to get started. The guy I'm building for is a tremendously nice guy, so I really want to make him something special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Rice View Post
Good job on the horse trading, and exceptional score on the wood. That piece would run pretty close to $100 by me.
Thanks, Rich. WOW! I had no idea on the price. The place where I usually get my wood has tons of stuff like this, as well as just about anything else, and it's all pretty cheap. The best part is that they're 5 miles from my house

Old December 8th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

OK so last time might have been premature. Congratulations......again

Old December 8th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Thanks, nosmo

Old December 8th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

So, odds are that you'll be running TWO commission threads here soon, right??

Have you turned in notice at your day job yet

Great work Roger, that is a super score, and ought to yield some gorgeous necks.
R. Stratenstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Hehe I hope so, Rick.

It's funny, one of my co-workers who's a semi-pro musician made a comment yesterday how I was in the wrong line of work. My boss was right there and quickly said, "No he's not!" It's really nice to be wanted

Old December 8th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Definitely
Might have been a bit awkward if your boss had piped up with something like, He sure is!

Any hoo, I understand the anxiety, you want to do a superlative job, but on the other hand, you've already proven you've got it in ya. Even if there are a few bumps along the way. (Or there might not be, who knows?) Hope you do have time to share the build(s) with us.
R. Stratenstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Agreed, i want to see this build! Good job on the comission! What kinda of bike? I wish i could do something like that, my bike just got stole, and i dont really have 700 bucks to buy a new one.

Old December 8th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Suspended
Friend of Leo's

Great .I hope you give us a bunch of pictures. I'd love to follow this build
LeftyAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Is that hard or soft maple? Beautiful figure.

If it is soft maple, I would recommend a double action truss rod.

Old December 8th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Stratenstein View Post
Definitely
Might have been a bit awkward if your boss had piped up with something like, He sure is!

Any hoo, I understand the anxiety, you want to do a superlative job, but on the other hand, you've already proven you've got it in ya. Even if there are a few bumps along the way. (Or there might not be, who knows?) Hope you do have time to share the build(s) with us.
I will definitely be chronicling the build here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Agreed, i want to see this build! Good job on the comission! What kinda of bike? I wish i could do something like that, my bike just got stole, and i dont really have 700 bucks to buy a new one.
I know what you mean. My wife has been borrowing a friends Canondale because she doesn't have a nice bike of her own. This will be a mid-level Trek (retail of about $1200), so she'll be set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acalan View Post
Great .I hope you give us a bunch of pictures. I'd love to follow this build
Definitely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt W. Knight View Post
Is that hard or soft maple? Beautiful figure.

If it is soft maple, I would recommend a double action truss rod.
It is soft maple. I've used double action rods in all my necks so far, so that was the plan with this one as well. Since the stock is so thick, I'll have plenty of room to cut off a slice for the fretboard and then glue everything back together. It should be seamless.

Old December 8th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

You can do double action from the bottom too, can't you? And why would you do anything other then double action, they're so easy to put in, and so versatile!

Old December 8th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Wow, that piece of wood around here would be...not around here.

Old December 8th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
You can do double action from the bottom too, can't you? And why would you do anything other then double action, they're so easy to put in, and so versatile!
Weight
Tradition
looks

Old December 8th, 2012, 11:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Hey Roger, congrats, I'm sure it will turn out awesome. Since you are so averse to tying anything new or non traditional :-) I may be wasting my time . But to me, that fine piece of timber looks like a fine candidate for the G&L bi-cut truss instal using a double action rod. From the G&L site:

"The Bi-CutŪ neck design is another revolutionary patent granted to Leo and G&L. The traditional method of truss rod installation involves routing out the back side of the neck, installing the truss rod and covering the route with a rosewood stripe commonly referred to as a "skunk stripe". Alternatively, a traditional installation puts the route for the truss rod from the face of the neck, covering it with the fingerboard.

The Bi-Cut method involves cutting the neck blank in half longitudinally, making a rout on the inside, inserting the truss rod then gluing the two halves together. The new completed neck blank is then put in a Taylor press with approximately 350 pounds of pressure, assuring a nearly invisible truss rod installation. The design goal that the Bi-Cut method achieves is exceptional resistance to warping and twisting, because the centrally located glue joint is actually stronger than the wood on either side."

I will be using this technique at some point int he future. IHHO it's hard to beat when you have such a pretty piece of maple.

Old December 9th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Yes, but he doesn't want a skunk stripe interfering with the grain on the neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Wow, that piece of wood around here would be...not around here.
I'm lucky with the supplier being so close. They do really high-end custom shutters, so they have a lot of really nice wood. The downside is that since their full-time work is shutter manufacturing, they only sale wood to the public once a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt W. Knight View Post
Weight
Tradition
looks
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by axedaddy View Post
Hey Roger, congrats, I'm sure it will turn out awesome. Since you are so averse to tying anything new or non traditional :-) I may be wasting my time . But to me, that fine piece of timber looks like a fine candidate for the G&L bi-cut truss instal using a double action rod. From the G&L site:

"The Bi-CutŪ neck design is another revolutionary patent granted to Leo and G&L. The traditional method of truss rod installation involves routing out the back side of the neck, installing the truss rod and covering the route with a rosewood stripe commonly referred to as a "skunk stripe". Alternatively, a traditional installation puts the route for the truss rod from the face of the neck, covering it with the fingerboard.

The Bi-Cut method involves cutting the neck blank in half longitudinally, making a rout on the inside, inserting the truss rod then gluing the two halves together. The new completed neck blank is then put in a Taylor press with approximately 350 pounds of pressure, assuring a nearly invisible truss rod installation. The design goal that the Bi-Cut method achieves is exceptional resistance to warping and twisting, because the centrally located glue joint is actually stronger than the wood on either side."

I will be using this technique at some point int he future. IHHO it's hard to beat when you have such a pretty piece of maple.
Wow, that sounds really cool, but I'm not about to attempt something brand new like that on my first commission