Wood score in preparation for my first commission - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.
   

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.


Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com


Forum Jump


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 8th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
RogerC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Age: 41
Posts: 4,617
Wood score in preparation for my first commission

Well, I got my first commission today. It's not the young blues guy, though. The owner of our local bike shop is a tele player and a friend of mine. I took my barncaster by for him to see, and he decided that he wants one. My wife really needs a nicer bike and her birthday is coming up on New Year's Eve, so he offered to trade me a guitar for a REALLY nice bike for her . I'm pumped and really nervous all at the same time because now people have expectations

So on to the wood score. He decided that he wanted an extremely figured neck, so I headed to the wood sale at the shutter mill today and picked this up. It's 2 1/2" wide x 1 1/2" thick x 10' long, and I paid $10 for it.





This should look very sweet under some tung oil.

__________________
"The difference is that you're crazy like Nicolai Tesla and I'm more like the guy who sniffs paint and rides his bike down the middle of the road" - Me to Crazydave911

Last edited by RogerC; December 8th, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
RogerC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
hemingway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,948
Lovely, look forward to seeing it.
__________________
Sic transit gloria
hemingway is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire
 
Glen Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,012
Nice! I will be following along.
Glen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting
 

Old December 8th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire
 
adirondak5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island NY
Age: 58
Posts: 6,678
Congrats on the commission Roger , nice looking hunk of maple ya got there .
__________________
Herb

I don't always play guitars , but when I do , I prefer tele's , stay twangy my friends

Last edited by adirondak5; December 8th, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
adirondak5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
Age: 59
Posts: 6,920
Good job on the horse trading, and exceptional score on the wood. That piece would run pretty close to $100 by me.
__________________
When I grow up, I'm gonna be just like me.
Rich Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
RogerC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Age: 41
Posts: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemingway View Post
Lovely, look forward to seeing it.
Thanks, hemingway

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen smith View Post
Nice! I will be following along.
Thanks, glen

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondak5 View Post
Congrats on the commissionRoger , nice looking hunk of maple ya got there .
Thank you, Herb. I'm pretty excited to get started. The guy I'm building for is a tremendously nice guy, so I really want to make him something special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Rice View Post
Good job on the horse trading, and exceptional score on the wood. That piece would run pretty close to $100 by me.
Thanks, Rich. WOW! I had no idea on the price. The place where I usually get my wood has tons of stuff like this, as well as just about anything else, and it's all pretty cheap. The best part is that they're 5 miles from my house
__________________
"The difference is that you're crazy like Nicolai Tesla and I'm more like the guy who sniffs paint and rides his bike down the middle of the road" - Me to Crazydave911
RogerC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
nosmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Jackson, TX
Posts: 3,315
OK so last time might have been premature. Congratulations......again
__________________
Telecaster - The AK-47 of the guitar world. Some may think its ugly...but it works!
nosmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
RogerC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Age: 41
Posts: 4,617
Thanks, nosmo
__________________
"The difference is that you're crazy like Nicolai Tesla and I'm more like the guy who sniffs paint and rides his bike down the middle of the road" - Me to Crazydave911
RogerC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire
 
R. Stratenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Loganville, Ga.
Posts: 7,963
So, odds are that you'll be running TWO commission threads here soon, right??

Have you turned in notice at your day job yet

Great work Roger, that is a super score, and ought to yield some gorgeous necks.
__________________
--Rick
Membership Pending, G.A.G.
"A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down".--Robert Benchley
R. Stratenstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
RogerC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Age: 41
Posts: 4,617
Hehe I hope so, Rick.

It's funny, one of my co-workers who's a semi-pro musician made a comment yesterday how I was in the wrong line of work. My boss was right there and quickly said, "No he's not!" It's really nice to be wanted
__________________
"The difference is that you're crazy like Nicolai Tesla and I'm more like the guy who sniffs paint and rides his bike down the middle of the road" - Me to Crazydave911
RogerC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire
 
R. Stratenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Loganville, Ga.
Posts: 7,963
Definitely
Might have been a bit awkward if your boss had piped up with something like, He sure is!

Any hoo, I understand the anxiety, you want to do a superlative job, but on the other hand, you've already proven you've got it in ya. Even if there are a few bumps along the way. (Or there might not be, who knows?) Hope you do have time to share the build(s) with us.
__________________
--Rick
Membership Pending, G.A.G.
"A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down".--Robert Benchley
R. Stratenstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
Bentley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kelowna B.C, Canada
Age: 17
Posts: 4,064
Agreed, i want to see this build! Good job on the comission! What kinda of bike? I wish i could do something like that, my bike just got stole, and i dont really have 700 bucks to buy a new one.
__________________
"Johnny says he's bound
By only six strings to this world"
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Suspended
Friend of Leo's
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ormond Beach Fl.
Age: 61
Posts: 3,279
Great .I hope you give us a bunch of pictures. I'd love to follow this build
LeftyAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity
 
Colt W. Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Age: 30
Posts: 18,898
Is that hard or soft maple? Beautiful figure.

If it is soft maple, I would recommend a double action truss rod.
__________________
the now mandatory =====>
Colt W. Knight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
RogerC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Age: 41
Posts: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Stratenstein View Post
Definitely
Might have been a bit awkward if your boss had piped up with something like, He sure is!

Any hoo, I understand the anxiety, you want to do a superlative job, but on the other hand, you've already proven you've got it in ya. Even if there are a few bumps along the way. (Or there might not be, who knows?) Hope you do have time to share the build(s) with us.
I will definitely be chronicling the build here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Agreed, i want to see this build! Good job on the comission! What kinda of bike? I wish i could do something like that, my bike just got stole, and i dont really have 700 bucks to buy a new one.
I know what you mean. My wife has been borrowing a friends Canondale because she doesn't have a nice bike of her own. This will be a mid-level Trek (retail of about $1200), so she'll be set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acalan View Post
Great .I hope you give us a bunch of pictures. I'd love to follow this build
Definitely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt W. Knight View Post
Is that hard or soft maple? Beautiful figure.

If it is soft maple, I would recommend a double action truss rod.
It is soft maple. I've used double action rods in all my necks so far, so that was the plan with this one as well. Since the stock is so thick, I'll have plenty of room to cut off a slice for the fretboard and then glue everything back together. It should be seamless.
__________________
"The difference is that you're crazy like Nicolai Tesla and I'm more like the guy who sniffs paint and rides his bike down the middle of the road" - Me to Crazydave911
RogerC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
Bentley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kelowna B.C, Canada
Age: 17
Posts: 4,064
You can do double action from the bottom too, can't you? And why would you do anything other then double action, they're so easy to put in, and so versatile!
__________________
"Johnny says he's bound
By only six strings to this world"
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity
 
Jupiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Osaka, Japan
Age: 52
Posts: 11,692
Wow, that piece of wood around here would be...not around here.
__________________
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity
 
Colt W. Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Age: 30
Posts: 18,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
You can do double action from the bottom too, can't you? And why would you do anything other then double action, they're so easy to put in, and so versatile!
Weight
Tradition
looks
__________________
the now mandatory =====>
Colt W. Knight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 11:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted
 
axedaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winter Haven, FL
Posts: 1,252
Hey Roger, congrats, I'm sure it will turn out awesome. Since you are so averse to tying anything new or non traditional :-) I may be wasting my time . But to me, that fine piece of timber looks like a fine candidate for the G&L bi-cut truss instal using a double action rod. From the G&L site:

"The Bi-CutŪ neck design is another revolutionary patent granted to Leo and G&L. The traditional method of truss rod installation involves routing out the back side of the neck, installing the truss rod and covering the route with a rosewood stripe commonly referred to as a "skunk stripe". Alternatively, a traditional installation puts the route for the truss rod from the face of the neck, covering it with the fingerboard.

The Bi-Cut method involves cutting the neck blank in half longitudinally, making a rout on the inside, inserting the truss rod then gluing the two halves together. The new completed neck blank is then put in a Taylor press with approximately 350 pounds of pressure, assuring a nearly invisible truss rod installation. The design goal that the Bi-Cut method achieves is exceptional resistance to warping and twisting, because the centrally located glue joint is actually stronger than the wood on either side."

I will be using this technique at some point int he future. IHHO it's hard to beat when you have such a pretty piece of maple.
__________________
Crazy doesn't take a day off....
axedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's
 
RogerC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Age: 41
Posts: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
You can do double action from the bottom too, can't you? And why would you do anything other then double action, they're so easy to put in, and so versatile!
Yes, but he doesn't want a skunk stripe interfering with the grain on the neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Wow, that piece of wood around here would be...not around here.
I'm lucky with the supplier being so close. They do really high-end custom shutters, so they have a lot of really nice wood. The downside is that since their full-time work is shutter manufacturing, they only sale wood to the public once a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt W. Knight View Post
Weight
Tradition
looks
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by axedaddy View Post
Hey Roger, congrats, I'm sure it will turn out awesome. Since you are so averse to tying anything new or non traditional :-) I may be wasting my time . But to me, that fine piece of timber looks like a fine candidate for the G&L bi-cut truss instal using a double action rod. From the G&L site:

"The Bi-CutŪ neck design is another revolutionary patent granted to Leo and G&L. The traditional method of truss rod installation involves routing out the back side of the neck, installing the truss rod and covering the route with a rosewood stripe commonly referred to as a "skunk stripe". Alternatively, a traditional installation puts the route for the truss rod from the face of the neck, covering it with the fingerboard.

The Bi-Cut method involves cutting the neck blank in half longitudinally, making a rout on the inside, inserting the truss rod then gluing the two halves together. The new completed neck blank is then put in a Taylor press with approximately 350 pounds of pressure, assuring a nearly invisible truss rod installation. The design goal that the Bi-Cut method achieves is exceptional resistance to warping and twisting, because the centrally located glue joint is actually stronger than the wood on either side."

I will be using this technique at some point int he future. IHHO it's hard to beat when you have such a pretty piece of maple.
Wow, that sounds really cool, but I'm not about to attempt something brand new like that on my first commission
__________________
"The difference is that you're crazy like Nicolai Tesla and I'm more like the guy who sniffs paint and rides his bike down the middle of the road" - Me to Crazydave911
RogerC is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

/td>

» Random Photo for Guests
62HarmonyRoySMeckinProgress
Untitled Document



 


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



IMPORTANT:Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult! No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
© TDPRI.COM 1999 - 2014 All rights reserved.