anyone else on here ever had a serious injury wood working? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 26th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

anyone else on here ever had a serious injury wood working?

I recently had a catastrophic experimental jig failure. My finger wedged between a spiral upcut bit and a fence. I feel pretty dumb and was just curious if anyone else had one of those kinds of mistakes. No graphic pics please. Just tell me about it, if you guys don't mind. It might make me feel better to know I'm not the only one.

justin72deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2012, 04:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Poster Extraordinaire

This was making the rounds a couple days ago.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home...fety-gear.html
guitarbuilder is online now   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2012, 05:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks, I don't know how I missed that thread.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 26th, 2012, 05:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

O yeah, I've done all the dumb things. My friends and family are amazed I still have all my bits and pieces. I've been given awards for inventive injury. I once managed to screw two fingers of my left hand down to a jig I was making with 8g screws and cup washers. Put that battery drill in reverse quick smart!

Old November 26th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I've managed to do serious harm many times.. I am lucky to be alive, to be frank. I cut my left index finger halfway off (no exaggeration) at the knuckle where it attaches to my palm, I shot a 3.5" nail into the base of my hand and embedded it fully to the head, I've had a carbide sawblade take off like a frisbee and run up my belly, just barely missing my throat- (that one was really scary)- Nerve damage, sliced bone, I skinned my finger to the bone with CA glue that spilled- I went to wipe it up with a paper towel, which had cloth fibers in it. It soaked up the glue, bonded to my hand, and heated up until it almost ignited.. smoke pouring off the paper towel.. Cloth accelerates curing and produces lots of heat.. I couldn't get the towel off, and it was excruciating. I gave it a good pull, and the cooked meat stayed on the towel, exposing bone inside my fingertip.. That took months to heal, and I still don't have proper feeling in that finger.

I've slipped with knives, gouges, rasps, razor blades, drilled through a piece and directly into my hand.. It only takes a split second

So yeah= lots of stuff can go wrong, BE CAREFUL. The law of averages will catch up to you- if you do this type of work every day, you are going to get hurt sooner or later.

Old November 26th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I nearly broke both my boss's legs once working in a mill. At the time we were cutting MDF on the tablesaw (it was for making big boxes that got filled with milk powder for the middle east) two to pick up the sheet and run it through the saw; two to stack the cutoff and the kept piece.

So I get in the forklift (no licence, no experience) and lift the full pallet of MDF, corner too hard - and you know how MDF dust acts like a kinda lubricant between sheets? - well the stack came sliding off like a huge pack of cards and headed straight for my boss's legs. Must have been a couple of tons of MDF.

He jumped and got half out of the way, half on the stack. Lucky.

I wasn't really allowed to drive the forklift after that.

Saw a few good nailgun accidents in my time there. And always had nightmares about the 12 x 2 plank saw that had a pneumatic gripper that came up and grabbed the board before the blade ripped through it. Always pictured my arm being in it and not being able to get my knee to the big red button before the 18" blade came up.

We had a planer that had a door to get into it. One guy feeding on one side of the room and another stacking. Heard about a guy who lost 1mm off his palm on that very machine.

Place had supurb dust extraction though!

[shivers]

Old November 26th, 2012, 07:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Managed to cut through half of the end of my middle finger right hand one day, not too long ago. on the bandsaw, with a 3 tooth per inch blade. I am still amazed how fast that arm reversed out of there!!! The book of 10,000 swear words and a box on J&J bandaids and about 3 weeks later, all's swell that ends well. It still feels a bit less sensitive than the others though!!

Old November 26th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Well in the tradition of "True Confessions"….

Like Rich. I've shot myself several times with pneumatic nailers… once right smack in the middle of the knee cap…. that one still hurts...

I cut the end of one finger off and tore the tendons and nerves of another, at the same time…. and reached under an overhead saw before it has fully stopped.., it caught the back of my hand and ripped it open to the bone…. I sand. "Dagnabit, I hate it when that happens…"

another time….I did the same thing… reached under an over head before the brake stopped it fully and it took a nasty chomp out of my forearm…. that one pizzed me off… the blood stained the project… it wuddn spoze to be red either…

I'm actually pretty darn careful… just goes to show…. Murphy gonna get ya…. You cannot be too careful…

Ron Kirn
The closest I ever got to a 4.0 in college was my blood alcohol content.
www.ronkirn.com
Ronkirn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks guys. I've been pretty light hearted about it. My wife has made a bigger deal out of this than me.
I took the top half of my left ring finger off at the last knuckle, down past the finger nail. I find out this week if they are going to amputate to my knuckle. My only worry is that I'll have issues playing my guitars. I'm sure I can relearn with one third of my finger missing, or left handed. Either way, I'm still gonna play.

Old November 26th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

So far the worst I had was the angle grinder meeting my index finger tip. I'm lucky to have the nail and feeling in that finger still. I've had several other "moderate" injuries, but luckily no serious ones yet. I hope to keep it that way.
Ripthorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Almost cut off my left thumb on the band saw at the beginning of the year. Went down to the bone, quick as a flash i pulled back which made it an irregular L shaped cut, took too many stitches to put it back together. Only semi proper feeling left there but I ain't complaining, could have been worse than worst!

I'm really sorry for your injury, hope it will not affect you too much.

You could try a slide on thar finger, can't you?

Still, it sucks.... Sorry...

Old November 26th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin72deluxe
Thanks guys. I've been pretty light hearted about it. My wife has made a bigger deal out of this than me.
I took the top half of my left ring finger off at the last knuckle, down past the finger nail. I find out this week if they are going to amputate to my knuckle. My only worry is that I'll have issues playing my guitars. I'm sure I can relearn with one third of my finger missing, or left handed. Either way, I'm still gonna play.
This is what we worry about the mosh huh? Guitar player losing a fret finger. Kind of ironic that what you are trying to build becomes the thing you cant use because of your injury. Tony Iommi did...and does fine without his. Look it up if you dont know. Maybe you can rig somethin up like he did
stankepanck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2012, 09:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Using my wee jointer to put an edge on book matched walnut i took about 5 mm off the end of my left hand ring finger, just missed the bone tip, it grew back, I was praying to the starfish entity for regeneration..

As an apprentice at the power station I noted that half the mechanical fitters were missing at least one digit, mostly from drilling swarf incidents.
argpod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2012, 09:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by metecem
Almost cut off my left thumb on the band saw at the beginning of the year. Went down to the bone, quick as a flash i pulled back which made it an irregular L shaped cut, took too many stitches to put it back together. Only semi proper feeling left there but I ain't complaining, could have been worse than worst!

I'm really sorry for your injury, hope it will not affect you too much.

You could try a slide on thar finger, can't you?

Still, it sucks.... Sorry...
I hadn't thought of a slide. It'll be interesting without feeling the strings. Thanks for you condolences.
I did think to myself, "I'm a pretty good engineer, I'll design a guitar playing prosthesis".

Old November 26th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by stankepanck

This is what we worry about the mosh huh? Guitar player losing a fret finger. Kind of ironic that what you are trying to build becomes the thing you cant use because of your injury. Tony Iommi did...and does fine without his. Look it up if you dont know. Maybe you can rig somethin up like he did
I'll look him up.

Old November 26th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

I'm always pretty cautious in the shop and have never had any serious injury... knock on wood. I've skinned my knuckles a few times and have had a couple severe slivers but nothing power tool related.

jkingma is online now   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

No, because I leave that to the pros.

Old November 26th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Nothing other than a sliver once in a while.
Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Cut the tip of my right thumb off on a jointer when I worked at Tobias. The tip was not recoverable, but I had to have the thumb surgically reconstructed. I lost about a 1/2" in length from that thumb... but the strangest thing happened. After it started healing, the thumbnail began to grow back - and at normal length. On a follow up visit, the doc suggested that I have the thumb nail surgically removed so that it would never grow back. But I told her I needed to hold off on that until the thumb was completely healed, and I could start playing guitar again. About 6 weeks later, I picked up a guitar... and realized that my over hanging thumb nail was now.... a built in thumb pick! And I mean, in the best way possible. I developed an entirely new style of playing after that, and went for several years without using a pick at all.

I also personally witnessed a coworker loose his entire left thumb on a pin router - cause he got lazy and didn't remove his gloves. The bit picked up some part of of the glove and pulled his hand into it. Removed his thumb clean up to the hand... and slug it toward me - it hit me in the leg. He went screaming toward the door. I picked up the thumb in a shop towel and ran to the fridge. I got my thermos and poured out my sweet tea, and put the thumb in it - and then filled it with milk. I screwed the top on and ran to the door too. My boss came following with an Igloo cooler full of ice, and we put the thermos in that. They took off to the hospital.

Talk about freaky - after they left, everyone took a smoke break, but then we all had to go back to work. We still had to hit the quota for the day, and since the shop foreman and the pin router guy were both gone, I had to run the pin router for the rest of the day.

They were able to reattach his thumb, but he lost the area between the hand and the first knuckle, so it was very much shorter. In the months that he was out on disability, we tried to make him a guitar with a tiny neck on it, so that he could still play guitar, but he never regained that much strength in his thumb, that he could grip a guitar neck.

Old November 26th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Yeah, my finger wasn't recoverable. The spiral bit didn't leave more than eighth inch toothpick sized slivers. I scooped them up and took them to my outside trash can. I have three daughters that were home, I didn't want them to see anything so I cleaned up before going to the er. Didn't even tell them what was going on. Just that I was okay and that I had to go to the hospital. Of course my wife, in a panic told her parents over the phone in front of them. I realize now that I was in shock and shouldn't have driven myself.