Tips on lining up bridge with neck? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Advertise on the TDPRI Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 5th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Tips on lining up bridge with neck?

I'm about to bolt on the neck and I was wondering what's THE best way to make sure that sucker is lined up with the neck to avoid strings hanging off of neck??

**picture of nice vintage acoustic I found, just to draw more eyes to the post ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2512347911.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	150944  

skycricket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Assuming nothing was botched in the earlier phases of construction (and you've already drilled the holes in the pocket and the neck), this is an adjustment that I fine-tune after the guitar is strung up. Loosen the mounting bolts slightly, and you can bring the neck a bit left or right until the alignment is where you want it, then re-tighten.
nadzab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

If you clamp the neck to your exact position, you can hold two straightedges (I like metal yardsticks for this) against each side of the neck. At your point of intonation, stick some masking tape to the face of the body and draw (lightly) two pencil lines to give you both edges of the neck (extended). Split the distance between those lines at the bridge location, and you have established your center line. Armed with a center line, two outer lines, and an intonation line, you have many points of reference with which you can locate your bridge.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 5th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

you can use a laser
works fine fore me

Old November 5th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

From a thread I did a while back on how to install threaded inserts. This applies to your question. If you don't want to use threaded inserts. Just drill the pilot holes in the neck at 1/8".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt W. Knight View Post
Order from McMaster Carr

2521A642 General Purpose High-Speed Steel Hand Tap Bottoming, 5/16"-18, H3 Pitch Diameter, 4 Flute each $5.84

90248A018 Steel Self-Locking Thick Wall Insert 8-32 Int Thrd, 5/16"-18 Ext Thrd, 19/64" Length, packs of 10 , $7.50

91802A204 18-8 SS Oval Head Phillips Machine Screw 8-32 Thread, 1-3/4" Length, packs of 50 pack $6.82

* I actually use 1 1/2" machine bolts, not 1 3/4", but 1 3/4" is standard screw size for Fender style necks.

( This is a new build, so I don't have pictures of step one)

When I do this on a guitar.

1. Remove the neck, and plug existing holes.

2. Place neck back in neck pocket, clamp it to the body, and install the E strings to line up the guitar neck.

3. I take a brad point bit (same diameter as the body mount holes) and center punch all four holes.

4. Remove neck.

5. Place neck in a drill press vice so its perpendicular to the drill bit in the drill press.

6. Drill all four insert holes. For these particular inserts, I am using a 1/4" bradpoint drill bit. I set my depth stop on the drill press to prevent over boring.

7. I take something like a diegrinder stone to and bevel the top of the holes. If you do not bevel the top of the holes, the inserts like lift up the top layer of wood. Causing it to crack.

8. Tap all four holes.

9. Install threaded inserts.

* I like to set them even with the bottom of the bevel. That way it sits just below the surface.

10. Put the guitar back together.

Old November 5th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Rice View Post
If you clamp the neck to your exact position, you can hold two straightedges (I like metal yardsticks for this) against each side of the neck. At your point of intonation, stick some masking tape to the face of the body and draw (lightly) two pencil lines to give you both edges of the neck (extended). Split the distance between those lines at the bridge location, and you have established your center line. Armed with a center line, two outer lines, and an intonation line, you have many points of reference with which you can locate your bridge.
+1

Best method I've found. Unless you do have a laser.

I'm full of dust and guitars - Syd Barrett
kwerk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

If the bridge and nut are already installed, I just use a clamp like posted above and run one long piece of thread through one of the E string ferrules, through the nut, from that E tuner hole through the other E tuner hole, back down through THAT nut slot and down through the opposite E ferrule.

You can tighten the thread and tie the ends together if you want at the string ferrules. Then move the neck back and forth until you are happy with the string path and lock the clamp in place. I then use a drill bit to mark the neck for drilling.
braderrick is offline   Reply With Quote