Couple of new projects - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 11th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Couple of new projects

Since I'm waiting to figure out what to do on the neck plans I thought I'd bang out a couple of bodies in the meantime:

The first is 8/4 Mahogany with a Black Walnut stripe. My mahogany boards weren't quite wide enough for a 1 or a 2pc body. So I added a Walnut stripe to the middle. This one my be going to a friend of mine who wants to commission a Mahogany body but I'm not sure if he'll like the stripe or not. So I may be doing another with some wider mahogany boards soon.

The second body is a laminate starting with 4/4 Mahogany, a 1/4" layer of Wenge, and a 1/4" Black Korina top. Although this body is only 1-1/2" thick its one of the heaviest I've built so far. I really should have chambered it but I thought it'd be lighter than it ended up:

The Wenge is 3 non-bookmatched boards so it wouldn't really have made a matched top. I got it cheap because I specifically asked for offcuts/scraps.

If its not too cold I'm gonna try to get these on the router table tomorrow and decide what pickups/controls/bridges I want to use.

Thinking the Limba topped body might get a Wilkinson half-bridge, and 2 P90's... with the bridge pickup set at an angle. And all black hardware.

If my patron doesn't want the Mahog/Walnut body, it might get planed down to 1-1/2", chambered, and topped with a curly cherry board I picked up yesterday.

I also have in my possession a 1-3/4" thick board labeled as "White Ash". I was told its not Swamp Ash, but its awfully light for its size.

Old February 11th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

If your buddy doesn't want that mahogany/walnut guitar i will gladly take it off your hands
halobeast13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2012, 05:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Lovely work, looking forward to seeing how these turn out. That 'white ash' looks like the common ash that grows here (in Ireland) particularly with that fissured bark and the grain pattern. If so, it's nice stuff to work and machine, and takes an easy finish with Danish Oil, at least.
The laminate body is super, I'd hate to think of cutting it up too much. You could consider lightening it by putting a Jkingma-style arm relief, which would show off the construction as well, and a belly cut.
The walnut stripe is great, it gives me an idea how to use two elm boards I have that are a little too narrow for a book-matched top. Do you use a jointer to get those seams so straight and tight?

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 12th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Yeah I did use a joiner. I do joined tops a lot in my work and having a joiner makes it super easy. I will actually have to joint the ash because its about 1" too narrow for a 1pc body. But theres plenty of wood to make a joined body.

This top has 5 pieces. The crazy maple wasn't wide enough to make a 2pc bookmatch:

Old February 12th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

There's some sort of gremlin at work on this board today, I've seen other posts duplicated by alamoqqvv in China.

Old February 12th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJCJC View Post
There's some sort of gremlin at work on this board today, I've seen other posts duplicated by alamoqqvv in China.
I don't think you'll be seeing any more of that .

I don't always play guitars , but when I do , I prefer tele's , stay twangy my friends
adirondak5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

This one will be getting a bridge humbucker, I'll cut the cavity for it once I have the bridge and can measure off of it where to locate the cavity.

This ones gonna be an Esquire, with rear routed controls. Since this picture was taken, I've cut the top for a Tele style pickup selector switch. I made sure to do that before I routed the back out for the cavity, to make sure there was support under the top wood to keep it from chipping or tearing out.

The neck is Korina, with a Wenge fretboard.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Kinda lost on how to finish Korina/Limba. I'm guessing a grain fill like mahogany, followed by sanding sealer?

Could I use a black grain filler to bring out the grain in it?

Old February 29th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Ordered a Wilkinson half bridge for the Limba body. It'll have all black hardware, and probably gold frets on a Wenge fretboard. Its gonna be sort of a GE Smith/Super Model. 3 way switch with cocked wah, and a concentric pot for volume and tone.

Also ordered hardware for the mahogany body. Standard Tele fare, humbucker bridge, all black and a b/w/b pickguard. It'll get a Seymour '59 humbucker in the bridge and a Tonerider hot alnico in the neck.

Old February 29th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Those are looking really nice. I'm loving the non-standard pickups and bridges. Tele - the swiss army knife of guitars and the ultimate modding platform
RogerC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenG Capo4 View Post
This one will be getting a bridge humbucker, I'll cut the cavity for it once I have the bridge and can measure off of it where to locate the cavity.

The neck is Korina, with a Wenge fretboard.
I like this one a lot, the stripe looks great and those woods go together well. Interesting idea using a bridge humbucker and lipstick neck. Have you ever done that before?
Muzikp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 12:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikp View Post
I like this one a lot, the stripe looks great and those woods go together well. Interesting idea using a bridge humbucker and lipstick neck. Have you ever done that before?
I have another body I've built in that configuration but I haven't played it yet. I would think the moderate output SD '59 humbucker would match alright with the Tele neck pickup and not overpower it.

Old March 4th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I did a slot for the 3 way switch into the wood. Just put a Tele control plate on it and traced the slot and the mounting screws. Drilled out holes along the line, cleaned it up with a utility knife. I'll probably get an emory board (AKA fingernail file) and clean it up some more.

Control cavity in the Mahogany back. Looking good.

About to go install the truss rod in the Limba neck and glue on the Wenge fretboard.

Old March 9th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Got the neck for the Limba one gluing up in the clamps now. Its White Limba with a Wenge fretboard, and a 2 way truss rod. A bit different from the Wenge it was photographed with earlier as that one was from the run of necks with vintage style truss rods I did earlied and never quite finished. Those necks are sort of on the backburner because my jig to build them got messed up.

Hopefully I'll get these two mostly done by the time the challenge rolls around. Should be nice weather this weekend, so I don't have much of an excuse.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Just remembered I had a build thread for this guitar.

Pretty much ready for clear. Grain filled with "Light Walnut" Danish Oil and lots of sanding:

Installed some dots in the neck. Made these from FIMO modeling clay according to Bill Scheltema's excellent tutorial. I built a mold that can make 30 at a time:

Sanded fretboard down to 600 grit. This ones a 10" radius and regular Fender scale:

Need to get some 800 grit paper, and sand in some golden Danish Oil to stain it, then polish the dots, then the frets go in.

Hoping to finish sanding/staining the neck and have it ready for fretting tomorrow. Then frets and back profile carved by the end of the week.

Caught Home despot having a crazy sale on Maple today, so I bought enough for 6 generous neck blanks. Gonna try roasting one soon.

Old June 14th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

This is just a mockup. The Tele pickup is just a cheezy ceramic I put in to fill the hole. Need to find a decent one and get a cover plate for it. I also plan on getting black neck ferrules when Stew Mac has them in stock again.

And I'm gonna stain the neck super amber. And black keys.

Anyone care to recommend a neck pickup? The bridge pickup is a Seymour '59 Humbucker.

Old June 14th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

1-5/8 nut width and 0.85" at first fret. The profile is inbetween a C and a D. Pretty skinny for me but people who play my guitars always say the necks are too fat. Making this one with the intention of selling it, I thought I'd make the neck more conventional.

Old June 14th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Headstock on this one is a bit thin. Too thin for Grover style keys, but since I already drilled out the holes at 3/8 it looks like the easy thing to do would be add a layer on to thicken it up. So I'll probably put on some mahogany over the weekend and trim it flush. We'll see.

Old June 14th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenG Capo4

This is just a mockup. The Tele pickup is just a cheezy ceramic I put in to fill the hole. Need to find a decent one and get a cover plate for it. I also plan on getting black neck ferrules when Stew Mac has them in stock again.

And I'm gonna stain the neck super amber. And black keys.

Anyone care to recommend a neck pickup? The bridge pickup is a Seymour '59 Humbucker.
Hope you don't mind me asking some questions about your neck ferrules. Those have always been my favorite way to see a bolt on neck. My question is did you use the ones from stewmac? If so did you countersink with a 15mm or the 5/8 bit? Their website says to use either depending on if you are going to finish the countersinks or not. I did some practice holes and the 5/8 just seemed really big. Thanks in advance.
Chewie219 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

That is beautiful! I like the heavy round over on the back. As far as pickups go, I think it's really hard to beat Bill Lawrence. A Keystone or Micro-coil would go great in the neck.