Build begins - 72 deluxe Jaguar type thing...Jagster well call it. - Page 2 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 29th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Tomorrow I'm going to round over the edges of the Jagster and attempt the body contours. What size round over router bit should I use? 1/2" round over?

Muzikp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #22 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikp View Post
Didn't do much on the Jagster today. I decided to get the 53 Tele body ready for paint instead. How do you guys drill your input jack holes? This was all I could come up with, my drill press rotates, swivels, spins and on occasion I even use it to drill a hole. I clamped the body to a make shift jig and lined everything up and then hoped for the best. It came out really well I think.

All you could come up with? I'd say that's a pretty fancy schmancy solution! I don't see any duct tape anywhere.

Old June 29th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #23 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Didn't do much on the Jagster today. I decided to get the 53 Tele body ready for paint instead. How do you guys drill your input jack holes? This was all I could come up with, my drill press rotates, swivels, spins and on occasion I even use it to drill a hole. I clamped the body to a make shift jig and lined everything up and then hoped for the best. It came out really well I think.
I want your drill press! I used a drill press to put a 7/8" hole through a block of wood, then I clamped the block of wood to the table, lined up the body against that and clamped it down as well... then I used a hand drill with a built in level and drilled very, very carefully. I almost blew it, but ended up with pretty good results!
Hack On Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 29th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #24 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Doctor of Teleocity

I think I will LIKE that guitar.

"She's not only merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead." - The Munchkin Coroner
Buckocaster51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2011, 03:35 AM   #25 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
So I quickly got overwhelmed by the amount of people wanting the cad file and pdf. I had no idea so many would be interested. Rather than e-mail it 50 times here is the link to download the CAD file.

http://www.fifty5five.com/tele/jag/guitar-cad-file.dwg
Thank you sir.

You are a real gentleman.

"Sorry for the Inconvenience."
RichardM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin72deluxe View Post
Is there somewhere to get autocad for under $4,000?
Look at A9CAD.
Ripthorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

There is a freeware program called CADstd. It isn't great or that easy to use, but the price is right and should be able to handle the file. One time a guy here got ticked off at me because he bought the program and didn't like it.... I'm just saying you can try it for free if you have nothing else.

http://cadstd.com/

******WELCOME TO THE IGPA MUSEUM ******
Due to funding cuts, the museum is closed.
guitarbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #28 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Cad software? Check out DraftSight. Free and most commands are AutoCAD compatible. I use it, Love it.

Not sure of the web site, but google it.
wbegg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #29 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Tomorrow I'm going to round over the edges of the Jagster and attempt the body contours. What size round over router bit should I use? 1/2" round over?
That's what a Strat uses, and unless you want a really rounded Tele, I'd use less. They normally are done 3/16" I think. I use 1/4" myself, but of course there are many variations to taste. Do what makes you happy (and practice on a scrap first )

Dave

My Facebook
crazydave911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #30 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripthorn View Post
Look at A9CAD.
Much thanks. Sorry for the highjack.
justin72deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #31 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Well it's no Emeraldcaster with a bound headstock but...hopefully it turns out well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckocaster51 View Post
I think I will LIKE that guitar.

Old June 30th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #32 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Well lot's of progress on the Jagster today.

I rounded the edges with a 1/2" bit. Rounding the edges may have exposed the first design flaw but I think I can work around it. With the rounded edge there is very little room for the pickguard near the neck pickup.

My plan called for a pickguard screw to go between the neck pup and the edge of the body but I don't think there is room. Well see.

I also attacked the contours today. I read Ron Kirn's strat build on his website and decided I would go the jig route. Here's the jig and getting ready to sand.

After I got the tummy cut roughed in I got the hand held grinder and attached the same sanding wheel that Ron Kirn used to do his forearm cut.

I sketched the line and shaded the body and started grinding with the sanding wheel. I even did like Ron said and kept my elbows in and rotated at the waist to try and get a nice even contour across the body. Apparently Ron has better hips than me, it was taking too much material off too fast and I felt like I had little control. So I clamped the body back to my jig and went back to the sanding wheel on my drill press. It was slower but I was happy with the results.

I took it out in the sunlight and did the shadow trick like Mr. Kirn does and that works great. I did a bunch of final sanding by hand while holding it in the sunlight. It came out great. Thank you Ron Kirn, your build page on your website is very helpful. I'm not sure how you do so well with that grinder but, still very helpful.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:40 PM   #33 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Had some time to work on the Jagster today.

I cut out the neck pocket template and sanded it to a perfect fit. The crumpled plan makes it looks a little rough but the pocket is nice and snug.

I use nails that fit in the string thru holes to align the template on the body. The nails fit pretty snug. I get the centerlines all lined up and clamp the template down.

Then it's just route out the pocket with the router, forgot to take a pic, just some visible sawdust left over from the neck route.

After that I test fit the neck and see if everything is lining up well and following the centerline. Seems pretty good to me, neck fits real tight.

So far so good. I think it's time to start on the pickguard and make sure everything fits well. Guess I'll go study Ron Kirn's strat build again and learn all about making a pickguard. Any suggestions?

Old July 5th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #34 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Well I tried to bleach the two outer pieces of wood to hopefully get them to match the center piece a little better. Unfortunately it didn't work and the bleach job didn't help, the woods were still totally different colors. The problem is I had to rotate the template on the body blank to miss a knot, the different color woods always made everything look out of alignment since the template wasn't overlaid straight on the blank. I got tired of looking at the mismatch and optical illusion so I stained it all one color (see attached). It still looks awkward so I am convinced this one will be a solid color now.

Old July 6th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #35 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
It still looks awkward so I am convinced this one will be a solid color now
It will still look great! As always, I shill for Surf Green (Sonic Blue at least) . Sweet build!

Dave

My Facebook
crazydave911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #36 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Finally got some more work done on the Jagster. Actually Jagster's now. I did enough test fitting to have confidence in the prototype so I moved on to a new slab of wood. This is some salvaged pine, very very old. It is really tight grain and it sands really nice.

Started by routing the cavities.

Then did a bunch more work that I didn't take pics of and now it has the first coat of sanding sealer on it. I'm liking the second one a lot, it's much lighter and just better in ways that don't show in the pics.

Old July 10th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #37 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Very nice work sir. I look forward the finished guits.
Beatbx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 01:46 AM   #38 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Ok time for some cheesy, gratuitous mock-ups. The dark colored one will end up being fiesta red, black pickguard, chrome hardware. The light colored one will be a very dark tobacco on back and sides to a vintage amber burst on the front. Tortoise shell guard, chrome hardware. In case you are curious the tele will be BSB if all goes well. The spray rig will be busy this week.

Old July 12th, 2011, 02:16 AM   #39 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I think the next step is to pull the cheap frets, sand the necks and get some vintage amber on them. They are looking a little pale to me.

Old July 12th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #40 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Fantastic! I like the look of the dark finish, I have a few Fir builds going myself and I was wondering how a dark fish would take to the grain...., now I have my answer!

I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out!