Fretboard nut slot too wide - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 8th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Fretboard nut slot too wide

So I'm heading down the homestretch on my first from scratch tele build and I've found that I carelessly cut my nut slot a hair too wide. Anybody have a preferred method for dealing with this? I'm thinking some sort of epoxy putty but I haven't really figured out a type or brand.

JStover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStover View Post
So I'm heading down the homestretch on my first from scratch tele build and I've found that I carelessly cut my nut slot a hair too wide. Anybody have a preferred method for dealing with this? I'm thinking some sort of epoxy putty but I haven't really figured out a type or brand.
Can you just cut your own nut to the width of the slot, or is it too wide toward the first fret and throwing everything off?
mkgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I probably could cut a new nut but I was hoping to use the blank I had and save the time and effort. I'm pretty sure the extra width is on the headstock end.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 8th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Glue a sliver of maple or rosewood veneer behind it if it is on the peghead side. If you don't have any wood scraps, use a piece of business card. If it is on the edge toward the fretboard, I'd go for a matching sliver of wood.
guitarbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2011, 12:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Since I didn't do a build thread I figured I would just throw this here. All in all I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out for a first time from-scratch build. I didn't need to shim the nut after all, just glued it in and it seems pretty solid. I still need to go back and recheck all of my grounding as I seem to have a bit more of the classic buzz than I would like, but it still sounds pretty good.
The beast behind it was the first build I did about 10 years ago with a straight through neck from Carvin. Looking at the contours now I'm not sure exactly what I was thinking at the time. (Or what I was on )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	172201_10150181134712786_725547785_8844649_3416321_o.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	73007