Telecaster Guitar Forum

Telecaster Guitar Forum (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tele Home Depot (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/)
-   -   Anyone have any experience with cherry? (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/238013-anyone-have-any-experience-cherry.html)

bsnow17 October 4th, 2010 05:24 PM

Anyone have any experience with cherry?

i am planning my next build which i think is going to be a scratch build and i have a large amount of dry aged cherry that i will be able to get a lot of two piece bodies out of and possibly a few 1 piece bodies. Does anyone have any experience with cherry ie. does it sound good/look good or would i just be wasting my time. any help would be appreciated

Picton October 4th, 2010 05:39 PM

Cherry, along with walnut, are the North American cabinetmaking woods par excellence. Cherry works beautifully with hand tools, finishes nicely, and is stable enough for any furniture project necessary. It's a woodworking classic, and I've seen it used quite a bit in acoustic backs and sides.

With that said, I've never built a guitar out of it... but I can't imagine it would go badly. I wouldn't hesitate, if I found a decent supply.

Anyone?

crazydave911 October 4th, 2010 06:05 PM

Personally, I know it makes outstanding necks, at least for acoustics. I also helped restore and old Baldwin Baby Grand piano that was cherry (hey I used to be ambitious) that had, if you can believe this, a bookmatched spruce soundboard! A very loud instrument with amazing clarity, NO wolftones.It was one of the most amazing examples of mass production craftsmanship I have ever seen and sounded as good as it looked which is saying a lot.Also makes my wrists ache everytime I hear "French Polish"..........lol

Colt W. Knight October 4th, 2010 07:11 PM

I have used cherry to make necks and bodies.

Its ussually fairly light, and ery stable, so it makes good necks.

The bodies I have built with it have all been chambered with maple caps. They have all had lots of sustain, very clear, resonant, and bit bright. Not overly bright, but a bit bright.

But for teles, it really doesn't have that tele tone in my opinion as a body wood. Ash, Alder, and Pine are all so similiar tonally, I don't have a problem using either. But when we start getting into other types of wood, I can hear some difference. Sometimes not a lot, sometimes a lot.

drf64 October 4th, 2010 07:19 PM

emu! has experience with stealing cherry pies. :mrgreen:

Birdmankustomz October 4th, 2010 08:49 PM

Funny this thread should pop up now, I too have a large amount of aged and dried cherry that I want to build a tele from.

otterhound October 4th, 2010 11:16 PM

Cherry sucks for necks and bodies . That's why I keep using it .

Shoved BassVIII October 5th, 2010 06:19 AM

+1 on the tad bright. Great top wood