standard replacement neck fit G&L? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 20th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

standard replacement neck fit G&L?

Does anybody know if a replacement neck from, say, Warmoth or USACG or Allparts will fit a G&L body? Im talking a current four-bolt body.

manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Nope. Although both Fender and G&L use a 25.5 in. scale, all Fender licensed necks are made as 21 fret necks (distance from nut to heel). If a Fender neck has 22 frets, the fretboard overhangs the heel. G&L necks are 22 fret necks with no overhang.

Are you missing a neck ........... broken truss rod ............ stuck truss rod nut? Someone here in the forum replaced the truss rod on a G&L neck.

G&L will sell a replacement neck if you send them the guitar. They want to do the replacement in house. Cost with labor $600. When I inquired about this they did agree to sell me a replacement neck that I could install for $400 plus my old neck. For either situation, I would be responsible for shipping both ways.

Disclaimer: When I say something.... always ask yourself ..... "What the hell does he know?"
I'm just not cool enough to be a Mac person.
I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea.
Jack Wells is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hi Jack,
Thanks for the reply. No, I dont have any of the issues you mentioned. But I'm considering buying a G&L ASAT Special. One thing I like about my Tele and Strat is knowing that I can replace the neck if I ever need to or want to. And that is one thing I don't like about other manufacturers. I wasn't sure about G&Ls though, since they look like teles, were created by Leo, and have bolt-on necks. Disappointing to hear they aren't easily replaceable.
manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 20th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

There are now several people in the forum making necks. You could probably commision a neck meeting G&L specifications. This might also be possible from one of the aftermarket neck makers.

Here's another option. But a Fender 22 fret neck and add a small block of wood under the overhang. I think that would work. In fact I'm sure you could make it work.

Disclaimer: When I say something.... always ask yourself ..... "What the hell does he know?"
I'm just not cool enough to be a Mac person.
I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea.
Jack Wells is offline   Reply With Quote