guitar templates from guitarbuildingtemplates.com - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 6th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

guitar templates from guitarbuildingtemplates.com

hey i was wondering if anyone here has used or known somebody that has used the templates from www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com ? they are running a pretty sweet deal of $88 for two templates and i was going to get the 58 tele and the 57 strat because they come with the neck templates too.

sixstringhook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Several years ago, I orderd Telecaster templates from them. I sent them back because they were not accurate. However, if they are now selling templates based on specific yeas of Telecaster and Stratocasters, perhaps these are accurate.

Disclaimer: When I say something.... always ask yourself ..... "What the hell does he know?"
I'm just not cool enough to be a Mac person.
I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea.
Jack Wells is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

by not accurate, what was innaccurate? was the neck joint off? string holes not in the right spot?

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 6th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Got a PRS 24 style template from this site, the templates are OK. I have not used them yet though, and they appear to not include the tenon for the neck joint.

I only bought a template from them because it was the only thing I could find after hours of searching, pretty steep price if you ask me...

Old August 6th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

i noticed that they have 2 different versions of the templates. they have cnc cut templates and then lazer cut templates. I currently have a Ron Kirn tele template and i love it, but unfortunatly i had made a copy of it on 3/4 mdf, then the copy got messed up so i went to make another copy and messed up the original :(

Old August 6th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

By inaccurate, I mean they weren't the correct shapes ........ neither the body nor the headstock. That was then, I can't speak for now.

Disclaimer: When I say something.... always ask yourself ..... "What the hell does he know?"
I'm just not cool enough to be a Mac person.
I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea.
Jack Wells is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have 6 template sets from Ronnie. He's a good guy and I know he tries very hard to provide accurate, quality products but he has access to only so much info. They all seem to have their little issues. For what they are, they're a good guide but you have to think 2 or 3 steps ahead of the process to make sure what's what the first time you use them.

Some of the photos on his site are outdated and the sets no longer include everything shown...ask questions. And the turn around time is 4 to 6 weeks...something that used to be burried on the site. Now I think it's more obvious. The CNC he does in-house but I think the laser cuts are farmed out.

That price is okay, but I got mine back when he had them 3 for $99. Maybe materials have shot up in price.

So far I've built from the Tele, PRS and Wolfgang sets.

The Tele seems to be fine. I can't say if it's true to period spec or not but it makes a nice looking, playable guitar.

The Wolfgang, though advertised as an EVH Wolfgang, is really the Musicman model of long ago...he's updated the description since I ordered mine.

The PRS does not include the tenon on the neck template. Someone just getting started and not having the correct info could easily ruin a neck blank before realizing this.

It's common with CNC cutting to have "holdouts" so the template doesn't slip out of alignment during cutting and he ships the templates with little nubs from these. They're easy enough to deal with but some of them are in critical areas like right at the nut line on neck templates. In my opinion, they would be a better product if he took care of these before shipping. But then the production time would likely be 5 to 7 weeks.

Peace,
Mark

Old August 6th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I read through the site pretty well and he says he plans to bring back the 3/$99 after he's cleared the order backlog. I also e-mailed him about the Wolfgang and for now there are no plans for an update. I have a strat set of laser cut templates (I think I bought them before he offered cnc) and they seem quite nice, though I can't vouch for their accuracy.
PlutoLex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

One other note: The photos on his site show centerlines marked on the templates...none of the 6 sets I received have centerlines marked.

Peace,
Mark

Old August 6th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarnut View Post
One other note: The photos on his site show centerlines marked on the templates...none of the 6 sets I received have centerlines marked.

Peace,
Mark
My laser cut strat templates have center lines. Maybe they are worth the extra cost...

Old August 6th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

NO! I bought some a few months ago that took around 3 1/2 months to arrive and were totally unusable. They refuse to refund or replace, and it took so long to ship that Paypal's 45 day period is up. HUGE mistake.
jrich99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

The templates my Son in Law is selling on ebay and he has a link on my site, are made directly from a '50 Broadcaster, I know, I made the master several years ago. I also know they work... I use it to make my bodies...

Pierre is doing them... I'm not connected... I had to drop 'em 'cause I don't have the time to make 'em any more...

rk

take a peek at my new offering....
http://ronkirn.com/blackie.htm
Ronkirn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 07:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I've always thought that if you can make a guitar you can make a template. A lot of people learned a lot about guitar making while making their first template - I know I did.

The important thing template making teaches you is the ability to easily go on and make your own guitar templates, rather than just being able to clone guitars.

Old August 6th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronkirn View Post
The templates my Son in Law is selling on ebay and he has a link on my site, are made directly from a '50 Broadcaster, I know, I made the master several years ago. I also know they work... I use it to make my bodies...

Pierre is doing them... I'm not connected... I had to drop 'em 'cause I don't have the time to make 'em any more...

rk
I ordered a template from you last year. I loved it, made a few guitars from it, but after i messed up my template i made from the master i bought from you, i went to make another one and severely damaged the one i bought from you. Overall it was a great template, the string thru holes werent exactly dead on, but other than that minor issue that i was easily able to get past, it is a great product! built these 2 from it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(2).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	55368   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	55369  

Old August 6th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich99 View Post
NO! I bought some a few months ago that took around 3 1/2 months to arrive and were totally unusable.
Wow, that's a bummer. What is wrong with them?

Old August 6th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronkirn View Post

rk
And Pierre knows about customer relations, too. Great product and service.

Old August 7th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

i bought the gbt sets - i think i have 4 different sets
the tele body i found a few things wrong with - i also have sets by ron kim which work well

at the end of the day i ended up adjusting and tweaking the various templates till i had a decent worker -- imho bought templates are a good starting point but by no means an end product if you want to build a number of guitars

if you buy a set make sure you lay out your hardware on the template before you cut anything

ohh and also make sure you cut a copy off the original then another off that so you have a master which should never be used again a 2nd working master to cut successive working templates from as you chew em up

also nickjd makes a great point about making your own - there is a blueprint around here - if you cant make the template you will save yoyrself the wasting of good wood

Old August 8th, 2010, 06:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I've got one....and one of Ron's from when I first started building a few years ago (still got it too).I make copies of each as I suppose all of you do.I'm not a stickler for exact measurements...eg.I don't mind if a body is 45.5mm thick.As long as center lines and routes are cymetrical and spot on etc.I like a guitar to look as if it's hand crafted.I recently got a thinline from GBT and I'm quite happy with it.I checked out all measurements before making copies and adjusted one or two things but nothing major.If I had a choice though I'd go with Ron's Pierre as I think with Ron's history and him now entrusting the template making to Pierre I think those templates would be.. as they say...Premier League !
tweeet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I had a guy give me a thunderbird template from guitarbuildingtemplates.comin exchange for fixing his guitar.Ihave'nt had a chance to look it over real good yet but everything looks be accurate
TELE_BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoLex View Post
Wow, that's a bummer. What is wrong with them?
Neck pocket is huge, all the lines are wrong. Not at all as described. The guy refuses to refund me, and basically said "They're not exact clones". On the website, the neck pocket is described as being on the small side so you could sand it to whatever size you wanted, and it is way to big to use. His response to this was "Use an oversize bearing". HUGE MISTAKE TO BUY THESE!
jrich99 is offline   Reply With Quote