high e too close to edge - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 9th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

high e too close to edge

My partscaster has an issue. The high e string is too close to the edge of the fretboard. That is to say, all of the strings are slightly aligned towards the treble side. It is slight, but it affects playability. It seems the bridge holes and string holes are drilled slightly off.
Is there a simple fix for this? All I can think of is filling the holes, redrilling and refinishing, which might be a little out of my league and would certainly be a huge PITA.

manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

It sounds like the neck is either angled or the centerline of the pocket doesn't match the centerline of the bridge...

You could try loosening the strings, loosening the screws that hold the neck in place, then trying to angle it a bit whichever way it needs to go, then tighten everything back up.
LocustPlague is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Where do your strings line up over the pickup poles? Off-center, or fairly close to center?

YouTube channel Originals
woodman is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 9th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

The neck attachment should have a little play in it - the holes in the body should be just a little oversized. Take the tension off the strings, loosen the 4 neck screws and see if you can adjust the neck (from side to side) to better accommodate the strings. Then just snug everything back up.
KevinB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocustPlague View Post
It sounds like the neck is either angled or the centerline of the pocket doesn't match the centerline of the bridge...
The latter. The misalignment is apparent right at the 21st fret.

Old February 9th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman View Post
Where do your strings line up over the pickup poles? Off-center, or fairly close to center?
The strings align with poles, but this is a tele with the pickup attached to the bridge, so no matter how far off the bridge is, the strings will align with the poles. No poles on my neck pickup so I can't tell there.

Old February 9th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
The neck attachment should have a little play in it - the holes in the body should be just a little oversized. Take the tension off the strings, loosen the 4 neck screws and see if you can adjust the neck (from side to side) to better accommodate the strings. Then just snug everything back up.
There is no play whatsoever in the neck pocket - it is crazy tight. But I will try moving the bridge a little. Not sure it would be significant enough to eliminate the offset, but it could certainly help.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Old February 9th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

You might have to work the neck pocket with some sandpaper on a block. I would sand the side with the most wood so the fit still looks good. If you move the bridge if it's a string threw body you might be causing bigger problems.
SacDAve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Yeah...the neck pocket should not be that tight. That is probably where the problem is. Remove the neck and use 100 grit paper to rework the pocket. Loosen the corners up a bit (make them slightly oversized). The neck should be able to move side to side at the headstock by maybe 1/8"-3/16". That movement will be hardly noticable at the heel end of the neck..but will give you quite a bit of adjustment of getting the strings better aligned.
joe desperado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

You can do both. I did this to my droop-snoot Baja.

Move the neck pocket down by easing the pocket with a scraper, also check for filler in the body screw bore holes to give more wiggle room, you might be able to angle the neck up a bit too.

Move the bridge plate over, remove and plug screw holes with bamboo skewers (they're harder than toothpicks). It does not need to move far so the string holes will still work. Awl the new holes just to the side of each plug.

Old February 9th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

deffinitly redo the neck pocket, you may also need to slightly and I mean slightly open the holes for the neck screws in the body to gain some play if they are tight.
Cavi is offline   Reply With Quote