Tele and les paul neck? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 29th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Tele and les paul neck?

I have a epiphone les paul neck, and i recently bought a telecaster body, that has a 2 and 3/16 " neck pocket, would I be able to put the Les Paul neck on the tele?

ddbobdylan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The Les Paul neck has a shorter scale length. Mounted on a standard Tele body the guitar will not intonate.
Staggered Mag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

It may or may not be possible depending on many factors especially what kind of bridge you are using. I have a Kalamazoo neck that I plan on using on a tele body, and I should be able to intonate it without a problem, based on the measurements I took.
How much forward travel do your tele bridge saddles have from where the they are now? Some bridge types ( and saddle shapes) allow more travel than others. I used slightly longer screws and springs to achieve it myself. You would probably need 1/2-3/4" of forward movement from the highest part of the saddle ( center on round ones) depending on how much distance is from the 22nd fret to the end of the neck. It might put the saddles too close to the pickup for your liking though. Do some accurate measuring and find out.

Last edited by guitarbuilder; August 29th, 2009 at 10:24 AM.
guitarbuilder is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 29th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks for replying. I haven't actually received the tele body yet. The Les paul neck has 23 frets, would I have to cut it down for it to intonate properly? I bought the tele body on ebay, and it is a telecaster body made by mighty mite, that is liscenced by fender as a replacement body. It comes clear of any electronics. What kind of saddle should I put on it? Also the fret board is 18 1/2".

Old August 29th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

A Les Paul with 23 frets?
cmatthes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

23 frets doesn't sound right. Lp's have 22 frets most if not all of the time. I don't want to say always because then somebody would prove me wrong. :-) SG's and other Gibson models have had 24 frets over the years. I can't think of 23 frets on anything I've personally seen from Gibson. As I said earlier, you'll have to wait until you have all the parts and then take some measurements. Whatever the measurement is from the breaking edge of the nut to the center of the 12th fret should be the distance from the center of the 12th fret to the breaking edge of the saddle. Then you want some room to move backward away from the nut for compensation purposes which is why saddles are slanted on acoustics and why most saddles look staggered on an electric guitar. I just used a vintage ashtray bridge with 3 brass saddles and used 3 longer screws found at the hardware store. I got the springs from a Harbor Freight Spring assortment I've had.

Old August 29th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Old August 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Would it save me the trouble, if I just got a tele neck?

Old August 29th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Old August 29th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I count 22 frets on that LP. Don't count the NUT, and don't count the extra fretboard hanging off past fret 22. You'll need to measure the distance from the 12th fret back to the fretboard edge of the nut. Then that's the distance you'll need from the bridge saddles to the 12th fret. Is that even a bolt-on neck? Looks like a standard set neck from epiphone/gibson style to me.
Engraver-60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Yep A fender neck will take care of any problems unless it doesn't fit into the neck pocket easily.

Old August 29th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks