Musikraft Quality Problems? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

View Poll Results: Musikraft Quality
All of my parts have been correct and exceptional. 31 73.81%
My part did not match my order. 2 4.76%
My part was defective. (ex: truss rod) 4 9.52%
Other (explain) 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 9th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Musikraft Quality Problems?

Some say that Musikraft stuff is excellent and that a mere few are making a lot of noise. However, there ARE several similar complaints.

Let me know whether the criticism is warranted or if there are consistent quality control problems.

markesquire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I used a neck and a body from their ebay auctions to build my Esquire. The neck fit into the body snugly and is straight as an arrow. The fret work is great out of the box. My only complaint is the truss rod. Even backed out all the way, the neck has just enough relief. This could be the result of a very strong and stable neck or maybe the guitar hasn't been under string tension long enough to bow the neck.
DILLIGAF? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I just got a BEAUTIFUL CBS-era Strat neck in from them this afternoon. It is fantastic, and the fretwork is flawless. Looking forward to shooting some nitro on there!
cmatthes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 10th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Musikraft seems to get good reviews and has benefits over other makers (Fender license for headstocks, more options), but does not have a reputation as good as USACG due to this general cloud of criticism.

I figured that a poll would demonstrate whether this was truly just a few complaints blown out of proportion, or whether they are legitimate.

I would LOVE to just fill in the options on Musikraft's website and have an incredible product in the mail, but if quality is truly an issue, I will go with USACG or another.

Old April 10th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

i loooove my neck that i purchased for my silver sparkle custom build tele..ala Don Rich...opted for the flame maple option and indian rosewood fretboard..and what i got off their shelf was equal to the private stock of what warmoth would give you at a heavy upcharge....i had 2 frets on the upper end that needed some attention but hey..THAT is small potatoes for what i got..customer service was great too! i think i waited like 6 weeks for it
1charger69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Received my Blackguard 3670 neck and body yesterday from Musikraft. It's flawless. Preliminary measurements show everything to be as expected. I'll post more details later in a Blackguard build.
dalek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

It seems like the only complaints that I heard were that (1) the part didn't match the order, and they refused to replace it, or (2) the truss rod didn't work at all.

I just couldn't tell whether these were prevalent or just a few people telling and retelling and retelling their stories.

Old April 12th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The complaining I've read on this and another forum seems to be coming (surprisingly enough) from the same people for the most part. I've dealt with them for several years and 4 bodies (1, a totally custom job), and 6 necks without the slightest issue or flaw. I am also pretty damned picky about stuff and have been playing, buying, selling and collecting guitars for 3 decades. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.

Their customer service has been fantastic when I've contacted them for anything.

Old April 12th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I really cant say anything about their products, for I have never owned any. But, I was recently ready to do some serious bidding on one of their necks on ebay, from their ebay shop, not just any seller. The shipping was nearly 35 US which translates to around 42 dollars canadian, which I just could not justify for shipping for an item just across the border. I recently purchased a neck from oklahoma and the shipping was 12.50 US. I asked them for a cheaper shipping option but was told they only offer the one kind of shipping. Oh well, their loss.
edd677 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I just ordered a maple express neck with a 7.25 radius, U neck, and an installed tusq slotted nut. After I sent the order, I realized I made one mistake on the specs...an e-mail and immediate confirmation of the change was sent/received, so customer service so far has been good.

The neck should arrive late this week/early next week so I hope to weigh in with good news.

Tom
tcarp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I bought six bodies from Musikraft a couple of years ago (three strats and three teles). I've also bought stuff from Warmoth (tele body and neck). The Musikraft stuff was good but not in the same league as Warmoth. The bodies had a few small imperfections; tiny chips on the edges of some routes, small indentations in the timber and noticeable seams where the wood had been joined (you could feel the join with your nail, it needed some filler). Some of the detailing wasnít quite what Iíd hoped for; the contours of the strat body were more 70s style than 50s (I should have asked before ordering) and I recall that the control cavity on the tele bodies was slightly too long for a standard plate. The Warmoth stuff was flawless in comparison (actually it felt too clean, too precise as if it had just dropped off the CNC). Despite the imperfections overall I was happy with the Musikraft stuff. None of the faults were big problems and their prices were very good, not much more than half what Warmoth wanted for a similar spec. I would order from Musikraft again, although Iíll probably give USACG a try next time.
Mister B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd677 View Post
I really cant say anything about their products, for I have never owned any. But, I was recently ready to do some serious bidding on one of their necks on ebay, from their ebay shop, not just any seller. The shipping was nearly 35 US which translates to around 42 dollars canadian, which I just could not justify for shipping for an item just across the border. I recently purchased a neck from oklahoma and the shipping was 12.50 US. I asked them for a cheaper shipping option but was told they only offer the one kind of shipping. Oh well, their loss.

$ 35 for shipping a single 6 string guitar neck. Holey Smokes!

The biggest shipping charge from USACG I could find was $ 45. Two necks, three bodies.

You know, fears about high shipping prices was what initially kept me away from buying aftermarket parts - knowing you might pay $ 35 to ship a single neck from NJ to ONT, that would stop me dead in my tracks.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris bubbanov View Post
$ 35 for shipping a single 6 string guitar neck. Holey Smokes!

The biggest shipping charge from USACG I could find was $ 45. Two necks, three bodies.

You know, fears about high shipping prices was what initially kept me away from buying aftermarket parts - knowing you might pay $ 35 to ship a single neck from NJ to ONT, that would stop me dead in my tracks.
I really like one of their necks on ebay, but as hard as I try I just cannot justify that kind of money for shipping. My buddy just got me to buy an exhaust system for his motorcycle on ebay, and it was shipped all the way from australia for 38 dollars. A great big heavy motorcycle exhaust halfway across the world for 3 dollars more than they want for shipping a wooden neck across the border!!!!!!!!

Old April 12th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Weird, as their shipping to Ukraine is semi-reasonable.

Getting things through customs here is another matter, but the folks at Musikraft are not responsible for that.
prawnik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Bubbanov - it would have cost you $11.75 to ship to LA, so no problems for you, right?

Old April 12th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I heard that anything produced by Musikraft prior to 2005 is not worth talking about.
Maybe that is why you get mixed reviews.
strat800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

If it is not against forum rules, who is the eBay seller?

I recently bought a Strat neck from someone(have to look) and it looked ok to me.

PB
PhatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatBoy View Post
If it is not against forum rules, who is the eBay seller?

I recently bought a Strat neck from someone(have to look) and it looked ok to me.

PB
It said "official ebay muskicraft custom shop" so it was definitely them.

Old April 17th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Got my maple Tele neck today from Musikraft. It won't be installed for a while yet, but both my guitar teacher and I inspected it very carefully and it looks flawless, both visually and structurally. The standard shellac finish is a nice touch and per their website, can be left as a stand alone finish.

I'm most happy with the fret job...my biggest concern...and they are very clean and nicely polished.

So far, so good.

Tom
tcarp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My experience with a Musikraft body:

High neck pocket, by a whopping 1/8", had to be routed down. It widened in the process, leaving a gap on the bass side. Misshapen - pickguard does not fit correctly. Someone was asleep at the router. Body weight 1/3 lb lighter than listed.

The price is good, and to be fair, they did offer to take a look at it, but I live in Canada, and as noted above, the shipping fees are egregious. Also, I routinely get charged customs fees, taxes, etc. on items that are clearly labeled "repair".

I decided to live with it, but every time I pick it up, I get pissed off. That's not what I am looking for in a guitar. I had to have a Tele made because Fender doesn't meet my standards, but even a MIM is made to far closer tolerances than this. Wish I'd bitten the bullet and gone with USACG instead.

Roll the dice if you want. My gamblin' days are done.
tristanavakian is offline   Reply With Quote