Hollow Body sound vs Solid Body. - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > The DIY Channel > Tele Home Depot
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tele Home Depot Building a T-Style guitar? From scratch or from parts. This is the forum for you.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 17th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hollow Body sound vs Solid Body.

I was thinking about making a Tele. An all Maple or Swamp Ash hollow body without an f hole . I love the traditional Tele sound but I was thinking the Maple would give it a lot more sting because it such a bright wood. I want this to be extra light, thats the reason for the hollow body, but if it's not going to twang then I'll just go with a Swamp Ash solid. Does anyone knows how much the Hollow body changes the sound.

vinvision is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

It will have an affect on the sound of the guitar but other factors will also . I bought a Squier Vintage Modified Tele Thinline that is made of alder , I would have expected a little more beef or mids from it but it sounds amazingly like a solidbody . I think a lot of that has to do with the pickups that are in it . Dont get me wrong I think it sounds great and it is also lightweight .

I believe your thinking is correct though on the effect on the tone of using maple for the body . If you do use maple I would definately recommend routing it like a thinline to lower the weight of the body . I think putting a top on it without the Fhole will have minimal affect on the tone compared to having the Fhole .

Another thing you may want to consider to add to the twang factor is using an ebony fretboard on a maple neck , although it is probably overkill , but it will add snap to the tone .

One last thing is to use pickups with resistance ratings that are close to the original 50s Tele pickups . Hotter pickups will have more mids and less highs . Also stay away from stacked humbuckers as they will also have less highs .
mrothacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Maple guitars are bright, but even hollowed out, maple will be a heavy guitar body. Also, maple won't give you that classic twang sound as well as swamp ash or alder. You'll be able to get that sting you want from a good pickup and good body.
Thinlines sound different than solid body guitars. If you are really after that classic tele tone, a light swamp ash body and good set of pickups is the way to go.

I invite you to check out posts by Arlo West and his pinecasters. They sound great.
Also, here is a link to my pinecaster. Sound clips are on the second page.
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home...inecaster.html
Not all ash or even swamp ash is the same. You can have a 3.5 lbs body or a 7 lbs body. If you order your blank from a reputable supplier like USAG or others, they will be able to select a blank that will suit your weight needs. Pine also provides a great soudning light weight guitar.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I was thinking about doing the ebony fret board and I'm defiantly going to go thru USAG for the body. For the pups I'm fighting between Twang king neck,Fast track bridge or Don Mare set. Thanks for the help.
vinvision is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvision View Post
I was thinking about doing the ebony fret board and I'm defiantly going to go thru USAG for the body. For the pups I'm fighting between Twang king neck,Fast track bridge or Don Mare set. Thanks for the help.
Don makes great pickups, and he is a great member here on the forum. I just can't afford his pickups. I have all mine made by O.C. Duff, and I keep hereing good things about Dimarzarrio Twang King. I think my next build is going to utilize a set of Twang Kings.