Popular Chord Progressions (key of C) - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique Formerly "Suger Free Tab & Music 101." Look for and post TAB, talk about playing technique or music theory. Nuts and bolts of playing music... not gear.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 11th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Popular Chord Progressions (key of C)

I have a 40 year old publication (pamphlet) that contained the following table of "Typical Chord Progressions used in Modern Music". I simply typed them in to share with others. Perhaps they will inspire some discussions/applications/explanations, etc. I didn't come up with these myself.

Chord Progressions in the key of C

C F G7 C
C Cdim G7 C
C Gdim G7 C
C Am Dm G7 C
C C#dim Dm G7 C
C A7 D7 G7 C
C Am D7 G7 C
C D7 G7 C
C7 F D7 G7 C
C F C G7 Gaug C
C Gm A7 D7 G7 C
C C7 F Fm G
C Fm G7 C
C Am Ab7 G7 C
E7 A7 D7 G7 C
E7 Am D7 G7 C
Em7 Ebm Dm7 G7 C
Em A7 D7 G7 C
Em Am Dm Gaug C
C Dm Em Dm C
C Eb7 Dm7 G7 C
C Ab7 G7 C
C Ab7 Dm G7 C
Gm A7 Fm G7 C
C F Fdim C G7 C
Dm7 G7 Am7 Ab7 G7 C
C Dm E7 A7 Cm D7 G7
C C7 B7 Bb7 A7 D7 G7
C Bb7 C
C E F C G7 C
C Ebm Dm Db9 C
C Eb9 D9 Db9 C
Am E7 Gm A7 Fm G7 C
Am G#aug C D7 C
Cm Fm G7 Cm C
Ab G7 Em Am C
B7 Em D7 G7 C
F7 C Ab7 G7 C
E7 Eb7 D7 G7 C
C E7 A7 D7 G7 - C

elmerbumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks. These are fun to play around with. Love your screen name btw. My city lovin' cousin in NYC calls me and my wife "country bumpkins!"
dolfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2007, 04:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

this is a real interesting list! it's 40 years old and my question is has any progression been invented since that could be added? probably not many.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 12th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbyrd View Post
this is a real interesting list! it's 40 years old and my question is has any progression been invented since that could be added? probably not many.

Just reading it, doesn't seem to be many more that spring to mind - needs a noodling session in front of the screen though.

Probably underlines that theres not much new anymore.
blue metalflake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue metalflake View Post
Just reading it, doesn't seem to be many more that spring to mind - needs a noodling session in front of the screen though.

Probably underlines that theres not much new anymore.
I'm thinking about lots of rock progressions that don't really stay in a key or substitutions for a key, especially with non-diatonic roots, like
C Bb Ab (All along the watchtower)
C Bb F C (lots of gospel and hard rock)
C Eb F
Ab Eb Bb F C (Hey Joe)

I also love tons of songs, often alt-country-ish, that use
C dmin F C (like I shall be released, but that has a G too)

Also, I don't have any examples to hand, but I always feel that really talented , unschooled songwriters who write on guitar (like Lennon and Kurt Cobain) tend to write things that are out of a particular key and normal substitutions. (Think of, say, Strawberry Fields Forever). Playing guitar, rather than piano, just seems to suggest certain visual patterns unrelated to key.

Still, that list covers an awful lot of territory. Interesting stuff.
goteleonthemt'n is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan19 View Post
Love your screen name btw. My city lovin' cousin in NYC calls me and my wife "country bumpkins!"
thanks, it's a simple formula: Paternal grandpa's middle name, and the name of the first band I was in.

Old July 18th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'm surprised that the list doesn't include C-Am-F-G7, a simple yet effective progression.
Telehackster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telehackster View Post
I'm surprised that the list doesn't include C-Am-F-G7, a simple yet effective progression.
40 years ago, when that little compendium was published the IV chord (F) wasn't 'really' considered a viable sub for Dm, the ii chord - at least in that particular progression. There's a prog listed there that's C-Am-Dm-G7, same thing really.
The obvious omission for me was: C, (or Cm)-Bb-Ab-G ... the end of Stairway, Ziggy, Walk Don't Run, Runaway, etc. For the same reasons ... it's an old list.
klasaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks a million for posting this. It's fascinating. A couple of thoughts. First, one post here alludes to non-schooled musicians using chords that were outside the key. I contend that it would be a very poorly schooled musician who was afraid using non-diatonic chords. Second, the chord progression C Am F G7 is characterized nowadays as a sub for C Am Dm G7. Dm would be a more popular choice for musicians favoring root movement by 5ths. Also, F to G7 invites parallel motion in the voice-leading, which would also explain why some musical ears would favor Dm over F. Of course, it's all about taste. I like F myself in many situations, especially when I can play a pair of nice, fat parallel barre chords. As for the sub idea, in college theory texts one finds that the ii and IV (to switch notation, here) are grouped together as pre-dominants. This term expresses the idea that the chords serve identical functions and that they differ only in details of voicing.

The history of these things tell us a lot about how we hear and interpret today.

Old July 18th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I really love the F to G7 too. Probably a lot more than I like a stock ii - V. I don't know, there's just something incredibly satisfying about that big F chord.
klasaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Glad folks are enjoying looking at, and hopefully playing around with these. I like how it makes me learn a new chord(s) for some of the progressions. I typically "put" things into the key of C that I'm trying to make sense of, at least in my head, and some of these chords I've heard a hundred, if not a thousand, times without knowing what they were. FWIW, the list appeared in a "Chord Construction" pamphlet written for pedal steel players (which I am not one).

Interesting about how the F is a modern-accepted substitute for the Dm, too.