Alright Now...Free! - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique Formerly "Suger Free Tab & Music 101." Look for and post TAB, talk about playing technique or music theory. Nuts and bolts of playing music... not gear.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Advertise on the TDPRI Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Alright Now...Free!

Can anyone tell me (slowed down) how the pickin' riff to that solo is played and the position on the neck (including the octave higher)?
I know its played in "A" & have played the rhythm parts for years in several bands..but I have recently been playing the lead & reckon I have it spot on with all except the "Pickin/hammer off" bit does'nt seem to be right somehow.
Cheers...

Jeff Mason is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

here's a link to the solo tab.

All Right Now solo

I haven't played this in a long time, but I do it a little differently. This tab has the first part of the solo played on open strings, where I played it up on the 5th fret. Just transpose this tab from the open string notes to those played in the A minor pentatonic on the 5th fret (except the bend part at the end of the slidy thing is A major pent on the second fret)

The high part of the solo is played in A minor pentatonic on the 17th fret (an octave above)

I don't know if this helps. I don't have the way I play the solo transcribed to tab - I can do it if this doesn't help you, just let me know.

Cheers,
Doug
ddewerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Cheers Doug, as I said, I pretty much know the solo, even that wonderful sound that Kossof had when sliding up on the second string & leaving the first E open to create that double note effect. Its just the fast picking "hammer" that does'nt sound if I am right? It sounds like 4 notes..but I'm hitting 3. I have'nt been able to sus out any software to slow that bit down to hear the individual notes.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 24th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I didn't get a chance to listen to it last night (I was repairing/replacing my kitchen sink garbage disposal...)

So I'm still trying to figure out (from my weak memory), which part you're referring to.

I'm thinking it is the part near the end of the solo played up high????

If so, and if I recall, I only play that as 3 notes with a hammer

Code:
----------
----------
----------
----------
-17h20----
-------17-

If this isn't it, I'll have to go back and listen to it to see what part you're referring to.

Cheers,
Doug

BTW, great song. My favorite part of the solo is the beginning where the bass does that cool riff, and you just hold and slide those few notes.
ddewerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2007, 08:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

There are just three notes. Its kind of a triplet roll like this

-------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------|-12-b14r-10----10-10-----
-------10-------10-------10-------10-------10-12-b14-|------------11-----------
-9-h11----9-h11----9-h11----9-h11----9-h11----------|-------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------
repeat
dynasonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I was fiddling with this a bit the other day after reading the discussion and heard an "incidental" natural harmonic on the high E string during the portion where you strike and bend the B string on the 12th fret - my finger was lightly touching the high E and the the E octave rang with the B (actually a D with the bend?). It sounded familiar, and I wonder if a similar harmonic is noticeable on the recording?

Last edited by seekir; February 3rd, 2007 at 04:14 AM.
seekir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Yes Seekir... your right. Kossoff gets the open E harmonic sounding together with that bend. I'm still struggling with both the lower & higher triplet "roll". I am playing the correct notes but something does'nt sound right? I am going to record it on a dictaphone & slow the tape down & dissect the bloody thing...its driving me nuts (as well as the missus) lol

Old February 4th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

The beginning of the solo uses the flat 3 from the A minor pent scale.

Once the bass and piano come in, the notes are right out of the major pent scale and stay in that scale right up until the end of the solo where he plays that signature, blazing lick between the 17th and 20th frets. There, it's back to pent minor.

I play this tune in my band and feel that it's very important to get it right. This solo is one of those rock icons that everyone can hum just like a vocal line. Not to mention the satisfaction of nailing one of the coolest guitar solos of our era! Good luck with it.

www.telenator.com
Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'm not sure why Kossof isn't better known and aknowleged more by living players. Seems to me that he figured out some of the really great idiosyncrasies of the guitar that can make it shine. The open E string things in this solo for instance, and the great way the solo starts with such promise and anticipation, builds to the big moment, followed by the return to the E like a gentle landing. His vibrato just floors me, can't think of anyone else (maybe Angus) who can make a note sing that way.
seekir is offline   Reply With Quote