linda ronstadt's "you're no good" - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique Formerly "Suger Free Tab & Music 101." Look for and post TAB, talk about playing technique or music theory. Nuts and bolts of playing music... not gear.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 8th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

linda ronstadt's "you're no good"

"you're no good" is one of my favorite ronstadt records. i've found tabs on the web for the chords, but none with all those great fills and lead licks that i'd like to learn. please help.

hekawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Dang, no answers.

Looks like I'll have to track down a song book of hers because I love that song too.

When you first posted this I looked at musicnotes.com but they didn't have that song in their database of sheetmusic.

The Beatles got me interested in music.

Pete Townshend got me interested in guitar.
timmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

Andrew Gold!

Hi fellers,
I don't have the tab but I do have part of an email I got from the man who did the guitar parts and the directions for how he got the sound... Andrew Gold played the solo on the song and most of the other guitars as well as drums and keyboards on the song...

from Andrew--->
It was, as a lot of my solos were back then, riect through the board. A 60's strat, going through a diewxr box, into the board, and through 2 ureii1176 compressors for maximum sustain...also a tiny bit of slapback echo set around 200 ms or so but keep it JUST audible. It builds up in 6 tracks otherwise)....and each of the notes were doubled, making it a 6 guitar, solo (2 X 3 parts). The guitar was either on the treble pickup, or the treble and middle pickup out of phase setting (on most modern starts they have 5 position switch but back then, we had to balance the toggle between the two). Also, it was a slide solo, too, not regular picking and fingering...and then it was mixed with the melody on one side, and the harmonies on the other...which I haven't done since...for some reason....so...there you have it. Good Luck. Andrew

There is a cool story (imho) about that song... it seems that all day Andrew was laying down tracks with Linda and Peter Asher the producer... Val Garay and Andrew were up late working on the rhythm tracks on the tune (Andrew said he hated those 'santana 1m-4 songs' that were popular at the time) and being a huge, huge Beatles fan he decided to just put a Beatles/George Harrison solo on the song, which he did and he and Val loved it and stayed up into the wee hours cutting it.

the next day, as the story is told, Linda came in and was FURIOUS and wanted the solo erased and was just seething. Peter, on the other hand, loved it and worked with Linda through the day to explain that it was just another hook that would make the song a hit.... Apparently, Linda had wanted to stay true to how she thought country rock would sound. For a country rock fan, I just love the album (my favorite all time song, Willin' is on that album) and Andrew's playing has always been underestimated imho, what a talent!

Anyway, I may have the tab around somewhere if not, I'll try to knock it off this weekend or next as I get some time... the riffs are not super difficult, just super tasty....

Don't forget to check out the overwhelmingly cool Bob Warford's playing on that album as well as the irrepressible Ed Black.

btw, this technique later became what folks called the 'wire choir' I believe..

Last edited by getbent; August 10th, 2006 at 12:19 AM. Reason: for clarity
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old August 10th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

That's a cover song- You should check out Betty Everett's original version sometime...
WickedGTR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

like lots of linda songs... they were invented elsewhere! I love the original as well! (just like Heat Wave, tracks of my tears, Dark End of the Street etc etc)

Thanks Mister Wilsey, Imo burn me a cd for the car of that one!

Old August 11th, 2006, 04:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Man, what a great track. Everyone that Linda has been associated with through the years - Asher, Gold, Wachtel, et al... let's just say that she and her staff had a knack for "casting".

As for "You're No Good"... jeez, the last time I remember playing it was when the World's Fair was held in Knoxville, Tennessee, whenever in the heck that was... at that time, I did actually do covers note-for-note. I remember picking apart every texture, every harmony (guitars and vocals) for this song, as well as for her reading of the Holly classic, "That'll Be The Day". Has it really been that long ago...

I'm truly slammed with work at the moment, but I've always adored these arrangements. Are there any particular bits that you're having trouble hearing? If you've some patience (and/or your questions are not answered by others before I can get back around to it), I'll revisit these tunes when I get a chance.
Tim Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

My mom,

..was and still is a huge LR fan. Consequently I got exposed to it young when she was huge in the 70's. That song is really good. The Rhodes(?) and the drums that's playing just sets the vibe.

Silver Threads and Golden Needles was my mom's fav.

We had "Retrospective." The release that's out is called the GH's. Lotsa cool steel in there. There's even two Buddy Holly covers in there. Just good stuff.

Brings back cool memories of Pop Rocks, Star Wars and a simpler time. Makes me sad. Wasn't every memory established in a simpler time?
CancerLeoCam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2006, 11:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

this helps a little (youtube content)

found this video on youtube. Andrew's playing a les paul. it looks like Linda got her way a little bit on stage, cause there's less guitar on this performance. Special thanks to the director for cutting to the drummer during crucial moments where we'd love to see the guitar. oh, well, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXZS6PBFJSc

Old August 14th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

Hekawi, thanks for the link! Man, Kenny Edwards looks too much like Gary on the Howard Stern show! and Linda is just the right kinda trashy for me... hmm, hmmm, hmmm.

I'll write out the tab the best I can when I get home on thursday, you should see it by sat. unless someone way more talented works up the solo before me.

Old August 25th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Ah, hemm....(as he pretends to clear his throat)

Old August 25th, 2006, 11:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

jeez. okay, I'll work on it tomorrow.

Old August 31st, 2006, 03:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

Tabbed Solo

You're No Good solo tab Key of Bbm

Guitar 1--
e|------------------------------------------------------|
B|------------------------------------------------------|
G|---8-6-8---9-6-9--8-6-8---9-6-9-------------------|
D|-6-------78------6-------78--------------------------|
A|------------------------------------------------------|
E|------------------------------------------------------|

Guitar 2 (James Bond sound)

e|-------------------------------------------------------|
B|-------------------------------------------------------|
G|-------------------------------------------------------|
D|-------------------------------------------------------|
A|--4-----------446B6-4------4-----------446B6-4----|
E|6---3---3-4S6------------6---3---3-4S6------------|

Hi Twang Solo Part
e|----------------------------11S14S13--11-9------------|
B|------11po9----14-13--11--------------------11-9-11----|
G|-8-10------10---------------------------------------------|
D|------------------------------------------------------------|
A|------------------------------------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------------------------------|

e|---------------------------------------------------13--|
B|6---6--8----8--10----13-10---------13-11-13-------|
G|-b8-----b10------b12-------12-10-------------------|
D|-------------------------------------------------------|
A|-------------------------------------------------------|
E|-------------------------------------------------------|

The main rhythm lick is Bbm (barre) to Eb and then a pulloff sounding the bgd strings... that should get you started... I didn't include all the slurs and slight bends.. etc... this should get you going... I don't write out a bunch of tab so if you have advice on how to make it cleaner on this.. it looks great in my text editor....

source material solo section in mp4

Last edited by getbent; September 1st, 2006 at 12:08 AM.

Old August 31st, 2006, 01:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

thanks!

thanks a million getbent! i really appreciate you tabbing this out for me (and the other guys who are interested)....i'm going sit down with my telecaster tonight and try to learn it. once i get it down i can probably work out the bends and stuff myself. thanks again!

Old August 31st, 2006, 01:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Yes, Thanks!

Old August 31st, 2006, 09:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

you guys are welcome! To be honest I had fun doing it, it had been awhile since I sat down and figured stuff out... Andrew slurs a lot and does kinda half bends and really non intuitive moves (for me) so it was fun to climb in his mind.. it is a lot better solo than I ever gave it credit for ...

I also didn't realize how many tracks of guitar he was using... anyway, enjoy, let me know if I biffed stuff.

Old September 1st, 2006, 12:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I almost never get to this forum section, but looking at the main page, the title caught my eye. Wow, the whole Linda Ronstadt/Andrew Gold era was fantastic. I'm delighted to see the response from Andrew. It makes me wonder how they pulled off live shows needing a 6 part solo.

Boy, she was one heck of a singer, and Andrew was awesome.

Old September 1st, 2006, 12:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

Terry, He has a pretty whimsical my space page and amazing podcasts at http://www.andrewgold.com

I'm going to see him at a house concert in Nov.... and he is playing around LA in Byrds of a Feather a Byrds cover band with some Bryndle thrown in. What is funny is I have several concerts on dvd from the 70's and the solos all sound just fine without the 6 tracks...

The Eagles used to totally mock Andrew when Linda really was getting popular and call him a Beatles ***** (from lore of course) anyway, I kind of think he was the guy who really got the 'wire choir' thing going and I think the Eagles pinched that from him... pretty funny. I got that from some family members who ran and worked in some of the studios those guys recorded in.

although I was pretty amazed when I was working out the YNG solo how many pretty obvious punchins there are....

A really talented guy. and very funny too.

Last edited by getbent; September 1st, 2006 at 01:00 AM. Reason: forgot something

Old September 1st, 2006, 03:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks from me as well, getbent. I'd set out to revisit the tune a few days back, but couldn't locate my copy of Linda's Greatest Hits... it's probably living somewhere in my wife's van, along with the other couple dozen or so CD's of mine that she's recently pilfered!

One of my projects has taken on some jobs that will require us to add a few more covers; and, as everyone in that band adores Linda's classic records (and speaking for myself, this track in particular), and given that there is instrumentation and backing vocals available to cop it, and as the young lady that fronts the project has tremendous pipes - I'll be pushing this one.
Tim Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2006, 04:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

You guys might be interested in Harold W's Linda Ronstadt page..
http://home.comcast.net/~saltyler/LR.DC.html

Harold is a member of the Clarence White forum which has moved incidentally to this address (for now)
http://www.bbenderguitars.com/CWforum/forum

Some more Linda facts...Bob Warford played B Bender Tele for Linda in the early 70's (Heart Like Wheel) and on tour... Clarence White played B Bender Tele for Linda on her first Capitol LP Hand Sown and Home Grown...

A great early compilation was released of Linda first 4 Capitol LPs recently
The Best Of Linda Ronstadt: The Capitol Years
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000CEX20O?v=glance
BrianF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2006, 02:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I remember reading once how much of a perfectionist Linda Ronstadt was in the studio. She produced an album for David Lindley, and once they got guitars dialed in, she wouldn't let him TOUCH the amps for fear he'd mess things up. He raved about how great her ear was, and there's much to be said for that... the El Rayo X album she produced has some STUNNING guitar tones.
kludge is offline   Reply With Quote