Best rockabilly guitar book? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique Formerly "Suger Free Tab & Music 101." Look for and post TAB, talk about playing technique or music theory. Nuts and bolts of playing music... not gear.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 9th, 2013, 06:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Best rockabilly guitar book?

I've looked online and have found various posts on this topic, but nothing that *quite* answers my question, so I'm going ahead and posting here......

I'm a beginner/intermediate player and currently mainly play indie rock and some blues. I'm starting to really enjoy rockabilly and have been trying to master Mystery Train using a thumb-pick (with some success, although I've a way to go yet).

I'd like to buy a good book with a CD of backing tracks that goes over the basics of rockabilly playing, and also has transcriptions of the various "standards" i.e. classic rockabilly tracks, together with backing tracks on the CD. I'm thinking Scotty Moore, Carl Perkins, etc rather than the modern stuff.

The transcriptions would need to be in tab form as I can't read music (and yes, I know from my experience of learning Mystery Train that tab is less-than-ideal with this style of music as it doesn't show rhythm/picking patterns etc!).

Does such a book exist? Or perhaps I should go down the DVD route?

guitarsammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Tried this guy? http://damianbacci.com/store
sir humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2013, 06:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Can't recommend a book, but youtube has lessons and backing tracks galore

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ing+track&sm=3
Wyzsard is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 9th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Fred Sokolow 'Rockabilly Guitar'. Book plus 3 CDs. Covers all the basics really well. He's a great player but more important a really good teacher.

Old December 9th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Not many Rockabilly books out there. I think this is the better of the Sokolow books.

http://www.halleonard.com/product/vi...?itemid=697407

I think the best Rockabilly instruction is on video at the moment, the Jason Loughlin TrueFire courses are good.

http://jasonloughlin.com/courses/
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2013, 07:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Jason Loughlin's rockabilly courses on TrueFire are great.
bendingtens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Pick up all 3 of Paul Pigat's DVD's.

1. Get a good tape style delay set for slap back
2. Get a single coil pickup guitar (Tele, P90 or Dynasonic)
3. Get a tweed type amp (Bassman for clean, Deluxe for dirt) or if you can afford it a Standel 25L15 is truly authentic.
4. Hair grease and a good comb

Listen to old early blues, like Wolf with Willie Johnson, listen to Charlie Christian, Merle Travis, Bob Wills with Junior Barnard, early country boogie and honky tonk and all the Grady Martin tracks you can find.

Then move forward to Sun Records classic stuff, Johnny Burnette, Johhny Horton, and Gene Vincent.

Do all that and you'll gain depth and you'll have swing in your playing and be able to navigate through some of the "jazzier" licks of guys like Cliff Gallup.

This takes longer but you'll sound far more authentic.
JTM45blues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I would recommend

Fred Sokolow's Rockabilly guitar method (this does not have complete transcriptions but is very good)

Jason Loughlin's 50 rockabilly licks you must know

Wolf Marshall's the guitar's of Elvis

This also is great if you want some difficult cliff gallup/grady martin solo's transcribed and at very decent price.

http://rockabillyguitarsolos.yolasite.com/

I personally would shy away from the Damian Bacci stuff at least intially. His first tape is very low budget but has some good stuff.

His most recent one is a lot better but still doesn't really have good tabs.

These are okay once you've gotten through the intial stuff.

You can also check out my blog too which unfortunately has not been updated too much recently.

http://rockabillyguitarlicks.blogspot.com/
sst69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogerRooger View Post
Fred Sokolow 'Rockabilly Guitar'. Book plus 3 CDs. Covers all the basics really well. He's a great player but more important a really good teacher.
Agreed on Fred Sokolow's teaching style and material. I do not have this book (or any rockabilly book), but I have one of Sokolow's Western Swing books, and it is clear and complete.
Big John Studd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

My twangy guitar on you tube is a great source.
orangeblossom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I 2nd My Twangy Guitar on YT. Guy is great, and has a great tone. Videos are superb quality too.

When I was getting into Rockabilly, I picked up a couple Setzer books. They helped me a lot.

There's a good video lesson/interview with Jim Heath of Reverend Horton Heat that's really good, although the audio and video isn't that great. I studied this interview on end just trying to copy and learn what he goes through here.

Also, buy the CD Spend A Night In The Box by Reverend Horton Heat. That CD has more chops than a butcher shop.

There's a lot of great music out there. Have fun!!
TreeHugger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Get the tab book for Gatton's "Elmira St." cd...
jmiles is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for Jason Loughlin's Truefire Course.
telequacktastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Some good suggestions.....A couple I might add:

1. If you want truly authentic rockabilly sound the number one thing I would add is this: LEARN TRAVIS PICKING......lots of guys have the licks[mostly blues, arpeggios, double stops etc]....very few have the rhythm at all...many try to cover it with strides which works in some cases...but imo....travis picking is what separates the good from the need to practice more...

2. many would disagree with me......but imo....any amp will do.....mostly clean with JUST A LITTLE overdrive.....all guitar amps do those well enough these days.....and any delay will work as well.....just set it short...so it "slaps back"..,...$300 will get you a ton of options amp and delay wise on craigslist

3. true vintage rockabilly tone has a lot more to do with your hands, arpeggios, chuck berry licks, travis picking, the neck pickup, and learning how to work your volume and tone controls....

4. try playing nothing but the neck pickup with your tone rolled almost all the way back[I usually start with it all the way down and turn it up JUST BARELY to the point that it sheds ever so slightly the first "layer" of darkness.....turn your amp up and you'll hear it without even playing anything)....stay away from treble tones at all costs for a month or 2....make your hands/pick adjust and work for it......make your licks work with that blanket over the amp tone....learn/create others that do......if you like true vintage/retro stuff.....you'll thank me in a few months
MattW1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Yes! Travis-picking a big plus. Even better, three finger picking. Travis just used his thumb and one finger.
jmiles is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiles View Post
Yes! Travis-picking a big plus. Even better, three finger picking. Travis just used his thumb and one finger.
True....I guess I just meant in a broader sense....that style which has become most commonly known as Travis Picking....."omm pah" alternating bass on the E A and D strings .....and melody or countermelody in many cases on the G B and E......with the D string straddling a middle ground in both areas sometimes......

To me.....THATS the rockabilly SOUND....the backup rhthym...to each his own however
MattW1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I will probably never get to the level to play rockabilly but really like it and have spent much time researching it. Great suggestions by everybody.
onenotetom is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2014, 03:20 AM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks for suggesting my courses guys. Let me know if you have questions? Paul Pigat's DVD's are great too.
JasonLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2014, 07:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLoughlin View Post
Thanks for suggesting my courses guys. Let me know if you have questions? Paul Pigat's DVD's are great too.
First let me apologise for this slight hijacking of this thread, however since your here Jason I would really like to see a rhythm version of of your Truefire - Country Guitar Survival Guide-Lead Edition.
Barring a release from TrueFire maybe you could consider a downloadable course from your site.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2014, 12:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Yep Jason's courses are good, I have the "50 Rockabilly Guitar Licks You Must Know".
It started out with some stuff that is very elementary, and i was thinking "jeez, everyone and their grnadma knows this stuff" but it didn't take long at all to get into what was some real eye-opening things for me. So I'd say very good for all levels, no matter where you're at with rockabilly playing you can glean some great licks out of this
blowtorch is online now   Reply With Quote