Review of the "Albert Lee Country Boy" Instructional DVD - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique Formerly "Suger Free Tab & Music 101." Look for and post TAB, talk about playing technique or music theory. Nuts and bolts of playing music... not gear.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 7th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Review of the "Albert Lee Country Boy" Instructional DVD

So I mentioned that I was buying this DVD and someone suggested that
when I got it I give it a review, so here goes.

The DVD was produced in 2006, and is 160 minutes long. It has several different features that give a greater picture of all of the player that Albert is: Advanced Country Guitar, Virtuoso Techniques, and Special Features. Every section has several live performances, the camera work is excellent, and the interviews are approached from a POV that the watcher is a player.

Advanced Country Guitar

It opens with a rendition of "That's All Right Mama", with the guys who back him up on this DVD: they do what a back up band does best-they don't get in the way of the music.
The DVD has several "live" performances and in each of them Albert sits down with Askold Buk (NYC guitar player and producer) after the song and explains what he is doing on the neck for both left and right hand.
He explains about his influences and the way that he has tried to honor their playing with his, and gives examples.

Virtuoso Techniques

Albert digs a little deeper into the neck in this section and begins to talk about altered chords, tonal structure, use of inversions, etc. Again, all of the techniques are demonstrated and he explains his thinking to a given percent. This section really gets into the mind of Albert and what he is thinking as he plays. He discusses lines for 3rds, 6th's, and 10th's, banjo rolls, pedal steel licks, double stops, and even classical guitar techniques.

Special Features

This section has an interview with Albert about his work with Harrison and Clapton. A lesson by Steve Morse, and the access point for the accompanying 240+ page PDF file that contains all of the tabs and notation for all of Albert's guitar work on the DVD.

All in all, I can't believe that they are letting this out as one DVD. There is enough work and lessons here to last for at least a year or two.
A word of caution: This is NOT a beginner's DVD. If a person has not had a lot of experience working the neck they are going to feel like they are drowning in some of the content, especially when he gets into the use of 6th's, 3rd's, and 10th's, and other "virtuoso techniques".
That doesn't mean that it isn't worth buying. I would recommend this DVD to anyone just for Alberts playing alone.
It's an excellent production and has one of the first real presentations of not just licks and lines, but mental concepts and how Albert is thinking as he approaches the neck.

If you look for this video you will find it is around $30. However, if you go to ebay you can obtain it much cheaper. It is well worth the $30.

In short, if you have been wondering how someone like Albert, Brent, Jerry, etc., are able to obtain that lightning speed and yet remain musical this is the DVD you want. Buy it. If you are a jazz, blues, rock, or country player you need this DVD in your library.

"There is no such thing as 'part freedom'." - Nelson Mandela
Redd Volkaert is a Master Jedi at one with the Force!!!
garytelecastor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have the book and audio CD, but not the video. It's a treasury of amazing licks - kept me busy for months!
sir humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir humphrey View Post
I have the book and audio CD, but not the video. It's a treasury of amazing licks - kept me busy for months!
When did the book come out?

"There is no such thing as 'part freedom'." - Nelson Mandela
Redd Volkaert is a Master Jedi at one with the Force!!!
garytelecastor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 7th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanx for the review

I picked up a Danny Gatton DVD cheap a year ago and was so scared by my first view I haven't touched it since!

However, I will grab this one anyway
Fatschlamp is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I bought both TAB books (with CD's) in 1993, the DVD must have been re-released. I have a DVD called Hilights from 2002 which has most of the songs from both packages.

steve
transmaniacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by garytelecastor View Post
When did the book come out?
Not sure - I bought it about six years ago I think, not sure if it's still in print though.
sir humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote