Richard Thompson techniques vids?? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique Formerly "Suger Free Tab & Music 101." Look for and post TAB, talk about playing technique or music theory. Nuts and bolts of playing music... not gear.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 6th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Richard Thompson techniques vids??

I would love to learn some of this man's tricks but haven't seen any vids anywhere of anyone offering suggestions on his techniques. Maybe he's just such a unique player that no-one else can get close to him....

Del Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

saw a youtube vid lesson on Black Vincent....
historicus146 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

You can buy a lesson series he does with an iPad app called On The Path or similar. Here's a demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyxR8iU3Jxs

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 7th, 2013, 02:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

http://www.homespun.com/Instructors/...chard-thompson

Google turned this up - might be useful?
Thorpey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Thanks for these links.

Sadly I don't have an iphone or ipad so that one isn't going to work for me. The other one might be worth a try. Shame you can't check it out on YouTube first.

Old December 8th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Work on your three finger rolls and listen to bagpipe musc. That's all there is to it.

Old December 8th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Pickup View Post
Thanks for these links. Sadly I don't have an iphone or ipad so that one isn't going to work for me. The other one might be worth a try. Shame you can't check it out on YouTube first.
Yeah I hear ya! Most of the homespun stuff you usually can preview! I guess if Richard is instructing then it will be amazing anyway!

Old December 8th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Colorado View Post
Work on your three finger rolls and listen to bagpipe musc. That's all there is to it.
He uses a flatpick more than anything

Old December 8th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

There's not a lot around about his style as it is pretty niche and unique - A few years ago I "was" Richard Thompson in a Fairport/RT trib band and it was a challenge, to put it mildly, to work out just what the hell he was doing half the time. Good fun though!
sir humphrey is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

For his acoustic fingerpicking side, I bought a book by him, put out by Homespun Tapes, called Richard Thompson Teaches Traditional Guitar Instrumentals (w/CD) that's fantastic.

Old December 8th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, I know he uses a flat pick, but three finger banjo rolls are often done using hybrid picking techniques. I learned a bunch of stuff from a John Jorgenson video that way.

He also uses real light strings on the electric guitar and does a lot of quick bends. There are three live videos (Celtic Connection, Providence and Austin, TX) that will give you some close ups of his playing. Other then the Homespun tapes and the songbooks, there's not a lot out there. Though I hear tinges of other players in his playing, the way he puts it all together is unique. When you expect him to go left he goes right.

And yes, he claims that bagpipe music is a big influence.

Old December 8th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

The homespun course is really good

fakeocaster
fakeocaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I remember Guitar Player magazine did a feature on him, he showed 52 Vincent Black Lightning and some favorite phrases and ideas, etc. I think he was on the cover. Maybe late 90's..............
Budda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I get the bagpipe music influence there. I'm from Scotland so I'm familiar with that as you'd imagine. It's more the 'eastern' touches that he throws in that I struggle with - and the hybrid picking with a flatpick and two or three fingers that I struggle with as well.

I've got a couple of his concert dvd's that I've watched many times but I get lost very quickly as they don't focus on his hands for long enough to actually study what he's doing for any given sound he achieves. If the camera is on his fretboard hand then it doesn't show you what he's doing with his right hand - or vice versa. Of course, they're not filmed with the intention of being instruction videos.

Old December 11th, 2013, 02:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

there was an interesting and funny part of a recent documenary about Fairport Convention where Richard Thompson talks about the challenges he faced of 'playing dance music on guitar where the tuning's all wrong'.

Old December 11th, 2013, 02:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

For right hand, RT uses a pick held between thumb and forefinger plus the other three fingers.

Yes there's bagpipe music in there, but also fiddle tunes, c&w, rock, jazz and most anything else you care to come up with. I've picked up a couple or three of RTs songs that I play - at a basic level (mine) they seem quite simple, where he is great is with the harmonies, fills, variations and instrumental breaks.

I have the same homespun book as Darkwaters and would concur its good - now if only I could knuckle down to practice it properly
Jimclarke100 is offline   Reply With Quote