The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique Formerly "Suger Free Tab & Music 101." Look for and post TAB, talk about playing technique or music theory. Nuts and bolts of playing music... not gear.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 14th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Oh yeah dad, we can do that now..

Seems a while ago I was always coming home from a shift and walking thru the door and getting angry: I'd be barking at the 16yo twin boys to "Get off the --- XBox and get off my TV -go practice, and practice some more" and they'd sort of grudgingly switch to the small TV and keep doing Xbox... ugh! Around and around we went. I got used to the disappointment that "XBox rulez" etc. All last year they were doing some prac on their higain amps... but guitar was just one of their things they do, not at the center.

Anyway I successfully sparked up their interest when I brought home an Eleven rack, a poweramp, and a new PC to handle Avid Pro-Tools around Christmas. [Still, they asked if they could load computer games on the new PC and I said NO. Headslap moment there..]

I also got a new flat TV for me, a 55in, because of bluray and the Tour De Frwance is now in HD. And the Olympics are coming.

Anyway, leaving them to it, and not pushing, has worked it seems. A few times now I have come home and could hear the guitars going from the driveway. But the other day -YAY!

Inside the living room it was a sight! This is a different century for sure. Not being much of a tech head at all, they have it sorted for themselves-- the PC plays the guitar pro sheet music and the backing track but they disconnected the PC monitor and use a HDMI cable into my 55in TV to scroll the sheetmusic! They stand there playing -the Eleven rack and rack stuff is playing one guitar and the other one is into a high gain tube amp. Its a bit competitive between them, and I'm happy about that. Xbox and Facebook may one day fade off the scene, I'm betting it'll be right after the lamb Of God gig in a coupla weeks.

Old February 14th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 18 year old stepson. Got him a decent guitar for x-mas one year after I found him using my tele more than his drums, but after a while he started losing interest as facebook and games took over, and other friends started getting into hip-hop. He's kept up a certain level of chops, but getting the guitar plugged into the technology of today has been a big stretch for me as I am a pro-tools defect waiting to happen, but it is a much more interesting thing to most kids than just plugging into an amp. And you can see why! Stuff i9s amazing, especially since everything can be connected to eachother and then "the world". Crazy site your living room must have been!
tele salivas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

See, that's the real way to play Guitar Hero...
raito is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 17th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele salivas View Post
I have a 18 year old stepson. Got him a decent guitar for x-mas one year after I found him using my tele more than his drums, but after a while he started losing interest as facebook and games took over, and other friends started getting into hip-hop. He's kept up a certain level of chops, but getting the guitar plugged into the technology of today has been a big stretch for me as I am a pro-tools defect waiting to happen, but it is a much more interesting thing to most kids than just plugging into an amp. And you can see why! Stuff i9s amazing, especially since everything can be connected to each other and then "the world". Crazy site your living room must have been!

Been plugging into the Eleven rack myself... well its like Dungeons and Dragons or whatever. I mean its endless hours in there, so many settings to vary and amps and cabs and pedals. I love the Keef twin setting, plus the boys are downloading certain settings or presets others have saved and put up on the web; each preset loads the Eleven rack with the amp settings of each song from Porcupine Tree, Megadeath, Lamb Of God, etc etc.

Yesterday I scooped up some used XLR cables, a mic boom and 2 mikes (one is a Shure SM57) pretty cheap. The mic plugs in the front of the Eleven rack too. This beats XBox.

Old February 17th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've been learning Linux,,got the duel boot going on..pretty cool,open source,free programs.
Just sic of all the windows viruses+Bill gates wanting to charge for this,this,this,that,that,that!
Ridge runner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

This PC i use is 4yo and i recently divorced Windows XP -its completely Ubuntu linux (hard core - no windows partition) and I'm smiling.

But where does learning Linux fit with the Eleven rack and teenagers?

Old February 17th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

they need to learn to use Linux Mint,or Ubuntu..I keep on my kid to do it!! that and learn to write HTML ect.... think I got like that RakaRak something like that not fooled with it though..
Ridge runner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Awesome, they're doing it again as i type this, I may end up liking stuff by Parkway Drive and Lamb Of God. Those bars fly by, even on that big screen. These tracks are 8min etc epics...

Old March 8th, 2012, 05:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Ok, I tried to make a movie of this practice time but the recorder sets the volume too low.

Anyone have a clue using the Zoom Q3HD gadget?

Here's a trial upload to Youtube. It got processed for about 5mins and its not a normal vol level?

Old March 8th, 2012, 06:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

that's quite the accomplishment there Dad...just like Matthew and Gunnar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFLgg...eature=related
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Wrathful .. thx there. We're the same age btw.
I'm blessed and thankful. (Good work, 5 kids for 4 pregnancies, 3 grandkids and counting. 30th Anniversary comes up in 3 weeks.)

Old March 9th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Is it my birthday or Fathers Day already? Stevie is now learning a Blind Faith riff he heard on my car's mp3 stick. [ !!!!!! logs off for a hatdance !!!!! ]