tom waits chords.... - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique Formerly "Suger Free Tab & Music 101." Look for and post TAB, talk about playing technique or music theory. Nuts and bolts of playing music... not gear.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

tom waits chords....

love the guitar style of tom waits but have a hard time playing like him, thinking about songs like, "last leaf", "that feel", i know he got keith on both, but also stuff like this

or
i mean what is he doing there. love em

jeb stuart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Both of these songs have very basic chord structures...I, IV, V chords.
The first song is complicated by the fact that the tremolo function's speed is so far off of the beat that one can get 'discombobulated'..to put it lightly, imho. YOu have to listen 'behind' the trem to hear the changes.
The second song??? HE is playing a beautiful Gibson J-200 that is so far out of tune that it is unbelievable. HE is playing some fills.....much of them on themost out of tune strings...the B string is tuned to some strange note, right???
All in all, he does a very good impression of someone so addled by some sort of external factors that there is no reason why he should be performing, imo.
IF you watch Roy ORbison's "Black and White Nights" from the mid-80's, you will see the same type of musical inanity...except he is on piano. He is supposed to be taking the 'ride'....but he is in some other dimension. James Burton is in the background laughing his a$$ off watching WAits stare at the keyboard in seeming wonderment as if it is the first time he has seen a piano,,,hitting the keys in random storkes as if he might figure something out at some time...he never does, though!!!
I think that if you adopt a blind-drunk approach you will more than halfway home on trying to cop that 'music'. Don't tune the guitar...don't pay much attention to chord changes....just express yourself. I like soem of the things that he has written, but I dont' care for his performance of anything that I have heard him do. OBviously, YMMV...
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Like all musical genius, he always seems a bit "off"...
But he got his own style and a whole career full of marvelous records, among them a few with Marc Ribot on guitar and these are the ones to listen to in priority !
nic'o'caster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 5th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I think of Tom Waits as a performance artist first and foremost. He uses music like a prop, much as he would use a hat and cane, a banjo, or a megaphone.

Maybe that's not quite accurate... The music provides a backdrop, as well as additional props (e.g., the instruments), but it's still definitely the performance that is first and foremost.

I like his performances too, but I am perfectly happy to suffer through a sterile dramatic performance if the music is good. I guess I'm a good example of everything those dramatic Broadway types hate about musicians...

I've transcribed a couple of Tom Waits' tunes, here's one of my favorites:

Code:
Tom Traubert's Blues (Waltzing Matilda) words and music by Tom Waits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrkThaBWa5c

Intro:  F    Gm    F/A   Bb       F/A       G7        Csus   C7
         / /  / /   / /   / / / /  / / / /   / / / /   / /    / /

Bb                      F/A                           Gm7        C7       F    Gm7  F/A  
  Wasted and wounded, it ain't what the moon did.  I've got what I paid for now
       Bb                    F/A                  G7                   C7
  I'll see you tomorrow, hey Frank can I borrow a couple of bucks from you, to go...

***Chorus***
  F           Gm7    F/A      Bb        F/A         F        Gm7           C7
  Waltzing Mathilda, waltzing Mathilda, You'll come waltzing Mathilda with me

Bb                          F/A                   Gm7                C7       F    Gm7  F/A  
  I'm an innocent victim of a blinded alley and I'm tired of all these soldiers here
  Bb                         F/A                         G7                 C7
  No one speaks English, and everything's broken, and my Stacys are soaking wet

***Repeat Chorus***

Bb                       F/A                   Gm7          C7     F   Gm7  F/A  
  Now the dogs are barking and the taxi cab's parking, A lot they can do for me
    Bb                         F/A                         G7                C7    
  I begged you to stab me, you tore my shirt open, and I'm down on my knee tonight
      Bb                          F/A                       G7                C7       
  Old Bushmill's I staggered, you buried the dagger In your silhouette window light to go...

***Repeat Chorus***

Bb                        F/A                              Gm7       C7     F    Gm7  F/A  
  Now I lost my Saint Christopher now that I've kissed her And the one-armed bandit knows
          Bb                         F/A                        Gm7               C7       
  And the maverick Chinamen, and the cold-blooded signs And the girls down by the strip-tease shows, go...

***Repeat Chorus***

Bb                        F/A                         Gm7                C7       F    Gm7  F/A  
  No, I don't want your sympathy, the fugitives say  That the streets aren't for dreaming now
      Bb                            F/A                                   Gm7                 C7       
  And manslaughter dragnets and the ghosts that sell memories They want a piece of the action anyhow, go...

***Repeat Chorus***

Bb                      F/A                          Gm7        C7          F    Gm7  F/A  
  And you can ask any sailor, and the keys from the jailor And the old men in wheelchairs know
      Bb                            F/A                             Gm7              C7       
  And Mathilda's the defendant, she killed about a hundred, And she follows wherever you may go...

***Repeat Chorus*** 

Bb                    F/A                          Gm7             C7    F    Gm7  F/A  
  And it's a battered old suitcase into a hotel someplace And a wound that will never heal
  Bb                  F/A                  Gm7           C7           F             Gm7  F/A     
  No prima donna, the perfume is on an Old shirt that is stained with blood and whiskey
      Bb                                    F/A                              Gm7         C7      F   
  And goodnight to the street sweepers, the night watchmen flame keepers And goodnight Mathilda, too.

SUGGESTED CHORD GRIPS

F          Gm          F/A          Bb          G7
                 xo         xo          x    x        ooo 
    1|||11      ||||||      ||||11      |1||||      |||||1
    |||2||      ||||||      |||2||      ||||||      |2||||
    |34|||      2||333      ||3|||      ||333|      3|||||

Csus         C7         Gm7
    x  o x      x    o       x
    ||||1|      ||||1|      ||||||     
    ||||||      ||2|||      ||||||      
    |34|||      |3|4||      2|3333      

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Traubert's Blues (Waltzing Matilda) words and music by Tom Waits

In the key of G

Intro:  G    Am    G/B   C        G/B       A7        Dsus   D7
         / /  / /   / /   / / / /  / / / /   / / / /   / /    / /

C                      G/B                            Am7        D7       G    Am7  G/B  
  Wasted and wounded, it ain't what the moon did.  I've got what I paid for now
       C                     G/B                  A7                   D7
  I'll see you tomorrow, hey Frank can I borrow a couple of bucks from you, to go...

***Chorus***
  G           Am7    G/B      C         G/B         G        Am7           D7
  Waltzing Mathilda, waltzing Mathilda, You'll come waltzing Mathilda with me

C                           G/B                   Am7                D7       G    Am7  G/B  
  I'm an innocent victim of a blinded alley and I'm tired of all these soldiers here
  C                          G/B                         A7                 D7
  No one speaks English, and everything's broken, and my Stacys are soaking wet

***Repeat Chorus***

C                        G/B                   Am7          D7     G   Am7  G/B  
  Now the dogs are barking and the taxi cab's parking, A lot they can do for me
    C                          G/B                         A7                D7    
  I begged you to stab me, you tore my shirt open, and I'm down on my knee tonight
       C                          G/B                       A7                D7       
  Old Bushmill's I staggered, you buried the dagger In your silhouette window light to go...

***Repeat Chorus***

C                         G/B                              Am7       D7     G    Am7  G/B  
  Now I lost my Saint Christopher now that I've kissed her And the one-armed bandit knows
          C                          G/B                        Am7               D7       
  And the maverick Chinamen, and the cold-blooded signs And the girls down by the strip-tease shows, go...

***Repeat Chorus***

C                         G/B                         Am7                D7       G    Am7  G/B  
  No, I don't want your sympathy, the fugitives say  That the streets aren't for dreaming now
      C                             G/B                                   Am7                 D7       
  And manslaughter dragnets and the ghosts that sell memories They want a piece of the action anyhow, go...

***Repeat Chorus***

C                       G/B                          Am7        D7          G    Am7  G/B  
  And you can ask any sailor, and the keys from the jailor And the old men in wheelchairs know
      C                             G/B                             Am7              D7       
  And Mathilda's the defendant, she killed about a hundred, And she follows wherever you may go...

***Repeat Chorus*** 

C                     G/B                          Am7             D7    G    Am7  G/B  
  And it's a battered old suitcase into a hotel someplace And a wound that will never heal
  C                   G/B                  Am7           D7           G             Am7  G/B     
  No prima donna, the perfume is on an Old shirt that is stained with blood and whiskey
      C                                     G/B                              Am7         D7      G   
  And goodnight to the street sweepers, the night watchmen flame keepers And goodnight Mathilda, too.
JayFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2012, 04:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
HE is playing a beautiful Gibson J-200 ..
It's a Guild that he's playing. An out of tune Guild.